IGNORED

Super thick walled espresso cups

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think these thick-walled cups are mostly a feature of the bars of Southern-Italy, especially of Naples, where they extract syrupy ristrettos so there is no need for the cup to hold that much liquid.

How does the coffee stay in? Or are you in Australia?😂😁

My  Nuova Pointe “Palermo” espresso cup has a thick wall, just shy of 1 cm thick.

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

Good morning. 

@Khashy what did the cups look like? How many did you buy and how much was postage? I really like the initial photos you put up and want to know how close you think the espressojoe ones came? 

Perhaps someone should start either a uk stockist shop or start making our own!

it shouldn’t be this hard!

• 1 month later...

Silly thought but if you're open to non traditional vessels for drinking coffee how about using a small ceramic planter (indoor ones should have solid bottom). Here's one on Etsy https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/803817175/concrete-plant-pot-with-cactussucculent. Seems to have really thick walls. Crazy? Perhaps. But the French drink lattes out of a bowl so why not?! There are some funky designs on Etsy

Something like these? They're branded (caffe d'oro) but I picked them up here cheaply a few years back. Maybe worth looking out for similar? IMG_20201227_164711.jpgIMG_20201227_164750.jpg

• Like 1

Did someone say coffee?

:Gaggia Classic--> Nuova Simonelli Oscar--> Fracino Cherub—> La Pav Europiccola:

:Mazzer SuperJolly:

:Hario V60+aeropress:

1 hour ago, tripleshot said:

Silly thought but if you're open to non traditional vessels for drinking coffee how about using a small ceramic planter (indoor ones should have solid bottom). Here's one on Etsy https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/803817175/concrete-plant-pot-with-cactussucculent. Seems to have really thick walls. Crazy? Perhaps. But the French drink lattes out of a bowl so why not?! There are some funky designs on Etsy

If you want to drink your coffee from plant pots, check they don't have a hole in the bottom.  😆

Hate to say it. I had the same dilemma years ago and the only thing i found in the UK that fitted my specs was the Costa coffee shop Latte and espresso mugs.

When i bought them, they actually just snuck one out of the dish washer...casually... But i was desperately looking for thickness.

Its a decent mug, but i hate the damn logo!

• 2 weeks later...
Good morning. 

@Khashy what did the cups look like? How many did you buy and how much was postage? I really like the initial photos you put up and want to know how close you think the espressojoe ones came? 

I got six in the end. Shipping was 15 euros if memory serves me right. They’re exactly what I was after.
Good morning. 

Also, yes, definitely needs a UK stockist. Not sure why we don’t have these or similar here
Just to follow this up, did anyone get any super thick cups

Yes. Actually I found some in the US too, decent price. If you happen to have stuff coming in from the US, that’s also a route
Something like these? They're branded (caffe d'oro) but I picked them up here cheaply a few years back. Maybe worth looking out for similar? IMG_20201227_164711.thumb.jpg.d7c1c1c00477836a5d1a07d1d87702e4.jpgIMG_20201227_164750.thumb.jpg.09d8c06ef18915154c7b08a06e83d380.jpg

These look excellent. Just the ticket from the photos
11 hours ago, Khashy said:

I spat out the coffee I was drinking as I started laughing out loud when reading this emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

Been there, done that...not so funny when you have to clean the mess up afterwards though.

• Like 1

“Rincewind wasn't used to people being pleased to see him. It was unnatural, and boded no good. These people were not only cheering, they were throwing flowers and hats. The hats were made out of stone, but the thought was there.”

• 2 weeks later...

I think these thick-walled cups are mostly a feature of the bars of Southern-Italy, especially of Naples, where they extract syrupy ristrettos so there is no need for the cup to hold that much liquid.

I had been trying to find one myself, too, for a long time when I discovered an Italian deli in Luton Airport, straight after the security and duty-free. They use Kimbo beans and they had this typical Neapolitan cup. I asked them if I could buy one and the barista was kind enough to give me one for free, which is now officially my favourite:

IMG_5213.thumb.jpg.49fe2daf1c3e33e6dde96e8b8d1307ff.jpg

As you can see, it says 'fattorie garofalo' on the saucer. This is their website, perhaps you could try and drop them an email:

https://www.fattoriegarofalo.it/

I have also found these which seem to be similar:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Re-Nero-Caffè-Lucky-Coffee/dp/B07NNTVDT1/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=re+nero+coffee&qid=1610809547&sr=8-1

https://grancaffegambrinus.com/en/shop/coffee-cup-with-saucer-neapolitan-version/ 

Or, perhaps, next time you book a flight from Luton (seems like a distant future at the moment) and if these guys are still there, simply ask for one like I did😁

• Like 3
I had been trying to find one myself, too, for a long time when I discovered an Italian deli in Luton Airport, straight after the security and duty-free. They use Kimbo beans and they had this typical Neapolitan cup. I asked them if I could buy one and the barista was kind enough to give me one for free, which is now officially my favourite:
As you can see, it says 'fattorie garofalo' on the saucer. This is their website, perhaps you could try and drop them an email:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Re-Nero-Caffè-Lucky-Coffee/dp/B07NNTVDT1/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=re+nero+coffee&qid=1610809547&sr=8-1
https://grancaffegambrinus.com/en/shop/coffee-cup-with-saucer-neapolitan-version/ 
Or, perhaps, next time you book a flight from Luton (seems like a distant future at the moment) and if these guys are still there, simply ask for one like I did

Love the cup, love how the shot in it looks even more.
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, Michael87 said:

...I cannot find any and even the Loveramics ones are sold out in most colours...

Exactly the trouble i was having a while back....couldn't get any in Blighty for love nor money....knock-on effect of Covid i suppose.

“Rincewind wasn't used to people being pleased to see him. It was unnatural, and boded no good. These people were not only cheering, they were throwing flowers and hats. The hats were made out of stone, but the thought was there.”

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/01/2021 at 16:53, adamkovacs1126 said:

Or, perhaps, next time you book a flight from Luton (seems like a distant future at the moment) and if these guys are still there, simply ask for one like I did😁

Great looking cup. Would you mind taking a picture of the bottom? Fattorie Garofalo sells dairy. I suspect this is made by either Nuova Point or IPA.

Update- I got tired of searching and bought a pair of Ancap Verona espresso cups, cup and saucer is £6 form coffeehit.co.uk.

It is not ultra thick but it has a lot of mass, and is a bit deceptive as the wall tapers near the top so you don't really 'see' the thickness.

I would also propose a good objective measure for comparing different cups - the mass of the cup. If you assume the heat capacity is the same for all cups (it's all porcelain, right?), and the heat loss coefficient is also the same (they are all roughly the same shape), then the only real variable that separates cups' heat retentions is their mass. And that's very simple to measure.

The Ancap Verona is 158g. I am quite curious how much some of the "ultra thick" ones weigh (are they actually thicker or just have very thick-looking rims?)