IGNORED

Super thick walled espresso cups

I have been looking for espresso cups with a very thick wall for ages and cannot seem to find what I’m after.

A basic white cup, super thick walls. Something like this (I think these were advertised as 1cm thick walls)

Any ideas where something like this can be found?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkAdjustments.thumb.jpg.8668fd6c16f0aceb879a364d0a92f8fa.jpgAdjustments.thumb.jpg.c96d8a774ee7b50c2f483d85c5ac00a4.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think these thick-walled cups are mostly a feature of the bars of Southern-Italy, especially of Naples, where they extract syrupy ristrettos so there is no need for the cup to hold that much liquid.

How does the coffee stay in? Or are you in Australia?😂😁

My  Nuova Pointe “Palermo” espresso cup has a thick wall, just shy of 1 cm thick.

Posted Images

This does look lovely. Would you agree that it seems to be the typical espresso cup thickness though? Hard to tell from that photo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My  Nuova Pointe “Palermo” espresso cup has a thick wall, just shy of 1 cm thick.

Ha! I just found out that the ones in my photos are actually Nuova Point Palermos.

The only darn issue is where to buy them. There’s an Austrian shop that has the white ones, however shipping only in Austria

I can also see some US retailers having the brown ones

There are two listings on Amazon UK but the seller seems to be a random seller and delivery dates in October

There’s one I found on ebay located in Japan which will work out to over £30 for the one cup

Not sure where else to look tbh

• Like 1
If you scroll down abit the reviews left state there thicker and quite heavy plus's at only £6 surly it's worth a punt no?

Sent from my 5033X_EEA using Tapatalk

You’re right. If I cant find the Nouva Point Palermos, I’ll give this a go

I've been looking for a while for exactly this and concluded there's very little available in the UK. Last nuova point cups I found were £25 shipped from Germany.

It's crazy given how much people drink espresso in the UK that the market is just saturated with super thin le creuset etc cups. 

oh i bought one of these about 15 years ago, its my go to espresso cup, the logo on the bottom was not very clear i always thought it just said oint, haha.
I bought it from the Algerian coffee store in soho, but like I said, 15 years ago and I wouldn't bet on the stock being the same today

10 hours ago, Khashy said:

Happen to have a link or photo?

I took some photos for you and made some measurements.

The lip of the cup is 7mm, due to a rounded inner edge, this makes the otherwise very thick cup more comfortable to drink from. The actual thickness is 9mm and the cup holds 45ml of water comfortably, so easily enough for any reasonable ratio of double espresso. The bottom is nicely rounded.

kNjNdyaju7NWd34sq0CSiB0fPWgdlNsvpucpZK-5

They were a present a long time ago. BB used to sell them, now they sell different cups but you might want to ask if they have any of these lying about they would sell you.

• Like 1

Nothing here...

Hmm with my crema laden pull through a naked PF, that's what 34g looks like after settling a fraction....it was almost level just after the shot ;)

blkzAlbgchBKZ-QIE8012rg62RoR47gDGURdH42f

• Like 2

Nothing here...

I've been looking for a while for exactly this and concluded there's very little available in the UK. Last nuova point cups I found were £25 shipped from Germany.
It's crazy given how much people drink espresso in the UK that the market is just saturated with super thin le creuset etc cups. 

£25 each?

oh i bought one of these about 15 years ago, its my go to espresso cup, the logo on the bottom was not very clear i always thought it just said oint, haha.
I bought it from the Algerian coffee store in soho, but like I said, 15 years ago and I wouldn't bet on the stock being the same today

Ha! Yes, very unlikely to find them there

Hmm with my crema laden pull through a naked PF, that's what 34g looks like after settling a fraction....it was almost level just after the shot
blkzAlbgchBKZ-QIE8012rg62RoR47gDGURdH42fudLaac6AyvTRNFk1FLS2IXOO-S5LaWzBxSVIoxxZ5BS8-eujjPI59-R8ZJGmI8TSfxVCTSaBaExP6eRF4Kq9_T7w46B2QyRfqQ=w2400

Hmm with my crema laden pull through a naked PF, that's what 34g looks like after settling a fraction....it was almost level just after the shot
blkzAlbgchBKZ-QIE8012rg62RoR47gDGURdH42fudLaac6AyvTRNFk1FLS2IXOO-S5LaWzBxSVIoxxZ5BS8-eujjPI59-R8ZJGmI8TSfxVCTSaBaExP6eRF4Kq9_T7w46B2QyRfqQ=w2400

That looks lovely, thank you for the photos. It certainly looks mighty thick walled. I wish they didn’t have the massive logo on it if I’m totally honest. But lovely cups nonetheless

might have found something for you, https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Nuova-Point-Walled-Espresso-Capacity/dp/B01L4LB85O/ref=lp_3645712031_1_2?srs=3645712031&ie=UTF8&qid=1598781381&sr=8-2 
€38.12 for a set of 6

But I can't tell from the pictures if its the same as my cup, it looks a tiny bit taller and tiny bit thinner, here is what I have in comparason.

thickCup.jpg

Edit, yes its about a centimetre taller and a little narrower, and yes, the naked pf was spurting a bit this morning, i am still having problems with the rocky.

Edited by espressoSquirrel
On 29/08/2020 at 01:58, Khashy said:

Ha! I just found out that the ones in my photos are actually Nuova Point Palermos.

The only darn issue is where to buy them. There’s an Austrian shop that has the white ones, however shipping only in Austria

I can also see some US retailers having the brown ones

There are two listings on Amazon UK but the seller seems to be a random seller and delivery dates in October

There’s one I found on ebay located in Japan which will work out to over £30 for the one cup

Not sure where else to look tbh

I ordered my Nuova point from Germany, Espresso Joe. https://www.espressojoe.de

i dont speak any german at all, so i guessed my way through. Probably worth getting a set as delivery was approx £15 

i went for the tulip style espresso cups, not quite as think as the others, but still thick enough. - i also went for a big latte cup. Nuova point confirmed to me there are no UK stockists, so they recommended espresso joe. Surprising really, they are the nicest cups ive found. 

C8E10730-0C73-45F2-BBD1-53EB787435FD.jpeg

C4982C46-28B2-4670-BA7F-394DCD3C882F.jpeg

Edited by Burnzy
On 29/08/2020 at 00:57, Khashy said:

I have been looking for espresso cups with a very thick wall for ages and cannot seem to find what I’m after.

I have cups which I think are similar to what you are looking for. They are made by Ipa Italy. I measured the walls at 0.91mm. They are thicker than the walls on my Nueva Point Milano cups (0.76mm). The Ipa are also heavier at (178g vs 168g for the Nueva Point, which are a bit taller being tulip shape). I think my Ipa's are similar to Nueva Point Sorrento.

Having said that, I don't think the thickness of the walls is that important. They are both thick and heavy espresso cups, and It is lovely to drink from either. It is by far more important what you have in them. 😉

Also note that there is a small variability between individual cups - they don't all weigh the same and the walls can be a bit thicker or thinner on what appears to be the same cup, like they are hand made (are they? I don't know). I remember when picking up the Ipa cups from a small Italian shop in Belgium. I wanted to get some more cups, and they got them for me from Italy. However, although the same brand and model,  they were a bit lighter and thinner than what I already had. I since then noticed this variability with different brands, even between individual cups in a set.

The white is Ipa, and the brown Nueva Point Milano: 

1590014186_espressoipa.thumb.jpg.6cb7d19ee6cb294882131029c31a6977.jpg336622957_espressoipa2.thumb.jpg.39018e03a549f66629782da5d2e57eab.jpg 

Edited by Doram
might have found something for you, https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Nuova-Point-Walled-Espresso-Capacity/dp/B01L4LB85O/ref=lp_3645712031_1_2?srs=3645712031&ie=UTF8&qid=1598781381&sr=8-2 
€38.12 for a set of 6

But I can't tell from the pictures if its the same as my cup, it looks a tiny bit taller and tiny bit thinner, here is what I have in comparason.

thickCup.thumb.jpg.32935eba598d4310a6edbc26c94cf3a1.jpg

Edit, yes its about a centimetre taller and a little narrower, and yes, the naked pf was spurting a bit this morning, i am still having problems with the rocky.

This is spot on, however because of the flexibility in choosing the colours, I ended up ordering the cups individually from Germany

Also nothing wrong with a bit of spurting

I ordered my Nuova point from Germany, Espresso Joe. https://www.espressojoe.de

i dont speak any german at all, so i guessed my way through. Probably worth getting a set as delivery was approx £15 

i went for the tulip style espresso cups, not quite as think as the others, but still thick enough. - i also went for a big latte cup. Nuova point confirmed to me there are no UK stockists, so they recommended espresso joe. Surprising really, they are the nicest cups ive found. 

C8E10730-0C73-45F2-BBD1-53EB787435FD.thumb.jpeg.59b4512c8c94c1cfbdc4295a56f4386d.jpeg
C4982C46-28B2-4670-BA7F-394DCD3C882F.thumb.jpeg.6da3903732c89e9bc5d0fef38eb8df71.jpeg

Awesome, I’ve contacted them to order two of each colour. Happy freaking days!!! Thank you for the link.

• Like 1
I have cups which I think are similar to what you are looking for. They are made by Ipa Italy. I measured the walls at 0.91mm. They are thicker than the walls on my Nueva Point Milano cups (0.76mm). The Ipa are also heavier at (178g vs 168g for the Nueva Point, which are a bit taller being tulip shape). I think my Ipa's are similar to Nueva Point Sorrento.
Having said that, I don't think the thickness of the walls is that important. They are both thick and heavy espresso cups, and It is lovely to drink from either. It is by far more important what you have in them.
Also note that there is a small variability between individual cups - they don't all weigh the same and the walls can be a bit thicker or thinner on what appears to be the same cup, like they are hand made (are they? I don't know). I remember when picking up the Ipa cups from a small Italian shop in Belgium. I wanted to get some more cups, and they got them for me from Italy. However, although the same brand and model,  they were a bit lighter and thinner than what I already had. I since then noticed this variability with different brands, even between individual cups in a set.
The white is Ipa, and the brown Nueva Point Milano: 
1590014186_espressoipa.thumb.jpg.6cb7d19ee6cb294882131029c31a6977.jpg336622957_espressoipa2.thumb.jpg.39018e03a549f66629782da5d2e57eab.jpg 

I’d love to get a couple of your Ipa’s too actually, they look sufficiently different from the Palermo and prettier than the Sorrento imo. I’ll see if my internet searches yield anything

• Like 1
Yep that's the one. 19EUR delivered to UK is a bit eye watering for a couple of cups

Heart wants what the heart wants. I’ve been looking for these cups for three years. Should have asked here earlier!

• Like 1