Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Anyone here have an ooni pizza oven (gas or wood)? Looking at buying the ooni Pro but looking for opinions! Long story short I may have signed myself up for doing a wedding and they've asked for 60 sourdough pizzas... Yeah I know...

Any feedback or advice is recommended!

Link to post
Share on other sites

60 sourdough pizzas??

Have a Ooni Pro - been using it for a year. Only use wood to fire it. Makes pukka pizzas in under two minutes. Trick with the Ooni is not to use thick pieces of wood - it will take them but once you've got it fired up to operating temp (around 500c),  have a stack of wood five to six centimetres thick to add as needed. They burn up faster and boost the temp much more quickly. Also, when you are ready to cook the pizza, add a couple of pieces of wood and wait until they are well alight. This produces a good flame that cooks the topping whilst the base is cooking on the stone. 

 

  • Like 1

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve got an ooni koda gas and tbh you need to go with gas if you’re making 60 pizzas - it maintains heat and copes with the wind better than wood pellets (my nephew has the latter and now wishes he got gas). Mine is the 12” version which is more than enough for the hungriest person!

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, The Systemic Kid said:

60 sourdough pizzas??

Have a Ooni Pro - been using it for a year. Only use wood to fire it. Makes pukka pizzas in under two minutes. Trick with the Ooni is not to use thick pieces of wood - it will take them but once you've got it fired up to operating temp (around 500c),  have a stack of wood five to six centimetres thick to add as needed. They burn up faster and boost the temp much more quickly. Also, when you are ready to cook the pizza, add a couple of pieces of wood and wait until they are well alight. This produces a good flame that cooks the topping whilst the base is cooking on the stone. 

 

Yes.. 60 sourdough pizzas (plus a few extra as/when I get hungry 😂)

I was looking at the pro. Do you recon you could fit in 2x 10 inch pizzas? Have you ever used it with the gas attachment or just wood? How long do you recon you could go without having to add wood?

21 minutes ago, Jony said:

Roccbox is down to £399. The new ooni 16 looks good.

Did consider the roccbox too mate but just haven't heard the same stuff as I have with ooni

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the Karu which like the pro can be used with wood/coal or gas - just smaller. I have to be honest, the wood novelty has worn off. I really cannot tell the difference at all in terms of taste. - 60 seconds is hardly enough time for the pizza to take on flavour from wood IMO. Where I can tell the difference is how much easier it is to maintain temps and have a nice clean burn going when making multiple pizzas.

Personally I don't think 60 pizzas is manageable on an Ooni on wood. So if using gas the Koda 16 is a better bet IMO :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fez said:

I have the Karu which like the pro can be used with wood/coal or gas - just smaller. I have to be honest, the wood novelty has worn off. I really cannot tell the difference at all in terms of taste. - 60 seconds is hardly enough time for the pizza to take on flavour from wood IMO. Where I can tell the difference is how much easier it is to maintain temps and have a nice clean burn going when making multiple pizzas.

Personally I don't think 60 pizzas is manageable on an Ooni on wood. So if using gas the Koda 16 is a better bet IMO :)

I'm half thinking that, but I'd also like the option to be able to do wood (more for at-home usage than events like this). Cheers for the input on the wood though - I was in two minds and coming to a similar conclusion as you said about the taste of the wood. 

Did want to give it a go for griddling meat at home too!

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Cooffe said:

Yes.. 60 sourdough pizzas (plus a few extra as/when I get hungry 😂)

I was looking at the pro. Do you recon you could fit in 2x 10 inch pizzas? Have you ever used it with the gas attachment or just wood? How long do you recon you could go without having to add wood?

Gas attachment is probably a good idea if you're going to cook that many pizzas. You will only be able to cook one pizza at a time - max diameter around 14inches. Once the oven is up to temp, you just feed it to keep the temp in the region you want.  Thicker pieces take longer to get going - thinner pieces burn faster and give the blast of heat you want while cooking your pizza. 

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an ooni koda (heats quickly, easy to manage temperature, smaller size means pizza needs attentive turning during cooking to get it even) and cooking 60 back to back pizzas will be fine from an oven point of view, but managing that much dough / shaping / serving at pace would require a skilled work crew and possible a catering kneading machine / dough mixer - sounds like hard work whatever oven you use

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ooni Koda here. It’s gas and I was a bit disappointed. Wanted wood. Joined a FB Ooni page and opinion there is wood doesn’t flavour it. Only in 90 seconds. It’s in our shed now and we use it when it’s pouring with rain!!! Can’t do that with wood.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Cooffe said:

I'm half thinking that, but I'd also like the option to be able to do wood (more for at-home usage than events like this). Cheers for the input on the wood though - I was in two minds and coming to a similar conclusion as you said about the taste of the wood. 

Did want to give it a go for griddling meat at home too!

Ah yes if planning on cooking other things in it at a later date then go for the Pro and buy the gas attachment. 

Wood fired sourdough bagels should be on the top of your list of things to try once you get the wedding out of the way :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TomR said:

I have an ooni koda (heats quickly, easy to manage temperature, smaller size means pizza needs attentive turning during cooking to get it even) and cooking 60 back to back pizzas will be fine from an oven point of view, but managing that much dough / shaping / serving at pace would require a skilled work crew and possible a catering kneading machine / dough mixer - sounds like hard work whatever oven you use

I suppose it's a good job that I've just acquired a new mixer and have worked in a commercial environment for c. 2 years then!

1 hour ago, Wha burst the ba said:

Ooni Koda hereemoji41.png. It’s gas and I was a bit disappointed. Wanted wood. Joined a FB Ooni page and opinion there is wood doesn’t flavour it. Only in 90 seconds. It’s in our shed now and we use it when it’s pouring with rain!!! Can’t do that with wood.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice to know it can be used indoors too! Cheers for the insight

 

59 minutes ago, Fez said:

Ah yes if planning on cooking other things in it at a later date then go for the Pro and buy the gas attachment. 

Wood fired sourdough bagels should be on the top of your list of things to try once you get the wedding out of the way :)

Grand - I've probably settled on the Pro then I guess. Woodfired bagels sound good...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just be aware, when you burn bottled gas it gives off a lot of moisture, if you have tools in the shed  (wood working / engineering power)you may / will find them covered in condensation.   Use plenty of ventilation . = doors / windows open.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Have an Ooni pro which can use wood pellets or gas. Gas would be your best option for that many pizzas as it’s easier in terms of consistent heat. Work on a time of 2 mins per pizza as you need to get them out, serve etc..

At a Farmers Market I do on Sunday, there is a trader, Holy Pizza, that uses two Roccbox with gas and he copes with any rush well.

Need to be very organised from a workflow point of view though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wha burst the ba said:

Ooni Koda hereemoji41.png. It’s gas and I was a bit disappointed. Wanted wood. Joined a FB Ooni page and opinion there is wood doesn’t flavour it. 

Trust me it does but doesn't make it smokey flavoured - more subtle.  Taste test with a pizza cooked on a non wood fired oven will reveal difference. If you use something like pine wood, the difference will be more pronounced. 

  • Like 1

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

Link to post
Share on other sites

The only drawback with the multi-fuel Pro I reckon is that the gas burner looks inferior to the dedicated gas Koda - look at the pics and you'll see multiple gas jets for the Koda (I think Ooni have patented this technology) which gives an even flame across the whole oven compared 2 jets for the Gas adaptor on the Pro. I'm no engineer so can't say for sure if there's much of a difference but I reckon the flame being evenly distributed is the better solution.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is where the upside of using wood comes in. Once you've got the oven up to temp, before you start cooking the pizza, you want to add some thin pieces of wood and allow them to really get going which isn't long because they are reasonably thin. The flames will then project down the length of the roof almost to the front opening and has the effect of flash cooking the topping whilst the stone sees to the pizza's base. 

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

Link to post
Share on other sites

After years of messing with multiple stones, steels and risky oven hacks I really do adore the pizzas that the small and reasonably portable Ooni Fyra can make. But... the heat distribution is variable in these smaller ovens (and I don't see how it can be *that* much better in the 16" ones) so I think cooking multiple smaller (say 7") pizzas at a time will be challenging. You definitely need an IR thermometer as I can usually tell how many turns and what the cook time will be by checking a couple of points on the stone before loading the pizza. I imagine gas is a bit more stable heat wise, but even then a pizza takes a lot of heat out of the oven so it's got to be several minutes per pizza I'd say. If you're serving say 10" pizzas I'd consider 2xFyra or 2xKoda instead of 1xPro to get max throughput.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the ooni 3. Recently bought the gas converter, it now getting much more use! Loads easier to use, quicker heat up time. Slight compromise in flavour but I’ll take it for the convenience.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 months later...

 

I've recently picked up an Ooni Koda 12 ( gas powered). 

This thread was seriously short of pizza pictures! 

Here's a few recent lockdown specials ! :) 

These are all using a 1 day dough, using Vito Iacopellis method. 

The big lump is a chocolate/marshmallow calzone too. 

 

 

 

 

IMG_20210109_203545.thumb.jpg.f1767219393ccd572da860196e53b495.jpgIMG_20210108_195305.thumb.jpg.783b5f0ac9081348667a30155d813648.jpgIMG_20210108_195300.thumb.jpg.b33ea6eb70d3178fda18dcb8f028959f.jpgIMG_20210108_195017.thumb.jpg.e1dae6f659e0888a17c62d53e5ba0335.jpgIMG_20210108_195012.thumb.jpg.1e63deb50162057d4168788ff631f3c5.jpgIMG_20210109_205537.thumb.jpg.234f8dc440439f262a4f2ac7fa2f2982.jpgIMG_20210109_203600.thumb.jpg.0fab1b2a24cab224d416c5197e46cc7c.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Cheating and using gas with the Ooni Pro at the moment so I’m not outside too long in the sub-zero temperatures!

Wood/Charcoal in the summer or the old faithful Uuni 3 with wood pellets. Steak, Lamb etc often get cooked in there too in the summer. Christmas lunch this year was pizza in the ooni!

Often throw in a few Pugliese for lunches at the same time.

Recent Pizzas:

C1A11FD0-C36D-43FF-9770-9C0151D25B0A.thumb.jpeg.d547e130a50ead40d280822baff9eb8d.jpeg

This one was a copy of an amazing pizza we had at a little pizzeria in Cutrofiano a couple of summers back.

4A28DB77-05DE-4468-846A-ED7701DC186D.thumb.jpeg.71966f762a8211027c46aff04dd05e21.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • About
    Coffee Forums UK is the UK's premier coffee forum Started in June 2008 by Glenn Watson, we now have more than 24000 mainly UK based members, and welcome more than 3000 members and visitors from around the world each day! With strategic investment and digital expertise from the Jackson Lockhart team (Tait Pollack and Adam Bateman), we are taking Coffee Forums UK to the next level, and are delighted to share the journey with you.

    New Members:
    We are often referred to as the friendliest forum on the web and we look forward to welcoming you onboard. Please read our Terms of Use. We stick by them, existing members please familiarise yourselves with them.


    Advertising

    Coffee Forums Media Kit

    Click Here To Buy Advertising Space 
    £100 p/m when paid yearly, up-to: 690000 banner impressions per month!


    Donate / Sponsor

    Get Your Supporter Badge Today (per year)

    image.png



    Coffee Forums Logo
     

×
×
  • Create New...