IGNORED

LSOL September - Black Cat [Norfolk]

French press and espresso, happy with both.

Subtle compared to a full on bean but must admit I like it a lot. I can always tell when I have 2 french press in the mornings and one double espresso (with milk) at lunchtime.

If I don't particularly really like a bean, I will miss one of my three daily coffee's out, not doing that here for the last few days!

• Like 1
  • Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Many thanks to @Hairy_Hogg and @Daren for arranging this and giving us the opportunity to roast for such a fabulous group of enthusiasts. Congrats to @filthynines on guessing the correct origin a

OK - So the guesses have all dried up, time for a reveal. Daterra Full Bloom Origin: Brazil Process: Natural Altitude: 1100-1200m Harvest: May - August Flavour: Dried Apr

Tomorrow 👍

Posted Images

I started these a few days ago (about a week resting) and was brave going straight into espresso and couldn't believe my luck at getting a great looking and tasting shot after only a couple of goes. It was handy to have the espresso guide on the bag and used my 'default after cleaning' mark on the iberital found it was close enough to be called a success [emoji7].

Thought I would try a v60 this morning and it was definitely missing something so went back to the Gaggia and was not disappointed!

My husband thanks you all [emoji6]

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Really cracking, this

Started the bag Saturday and have been glugging it ever since. Balanced, sweet, sone kind of red fruits. First thoughts were a natural but tonight decided it’s a washed Ethiopia - likely way out!!!! Really enjoying it, whatever it is 😁 

16g/36s/36g it worked from the first shot and I haven’t changed a thing.

Thanks again for organising and to @BlackCatCoffee for a fabulous bean which in my humble opinion is roasted to perfection 😁 

• Like 2

I've been having these as espresso for the last few days following the recipe on the bag; 18g/38g in 30 seconds.

Really clean, sweet, and bright :)

Just had some as a flat white and that was lovely too, lot's of fudgey brown sugar... mmmmmmm....

I'm pretty sure it's washed process, no funk for me, and now they've rested a bit I'm thinking maybe they are African but still not sure... I'll just have to have a few more :D

I decided to use the Kalita for these as the bag opening coincided with a new video from Scott Rao http://

titled Updated Manual Pouriver Technique and thought I’d follow the method for these beans.

If you look at the video you’ll see that SR places a small circle of fine mesh under the filter to prevent the holes from getting blocked by the paper. I haven’t found anything that would work like that yet so I’m trusting to luck that my holes are clear.

For the beans that SR is using he says that he’s at “42 on the Nitch” so that was my starting point too.

42 on the Niche gave me a drawdown of 4:20 and a brew that was pretty astringent. I’ve been pushing the grinder coarser over the days that followed and yesterday at 49 I was starting to get the brown sugar sweetness that’s been mentioned earlier and a drawdown of 3:45.

At 52 this morning it was still a slow drawdown at 3:43 and no improvement in taste so my plan is to push out to 60 on the next brew and see where that gets me.

I’m enjoying the journey and the coffee on this month’s LSOL but don’t think I’ve arrived at my ideal destination yet.

Anyone else brewing these using the new Scott Rao technique? If so what are you finding?

Other Niche users brewing with V60 or Kalita - are you finding the beans much slower to get to drawdown at your usual V60 setting and what’s your sweet spot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just dialling these in when my EK died.  I think it needs a new switch module.  Fortunately the office Niche isn't being used so over to that.  As the Niche produces a more conventional brew I used the example recipe but adjusted for 15g, so 15 > 32 in 25s, and it's spot on in my book.  Now I need to try and think what they are.

1 hour ago, salty said:

Other Niche users brewing with V60 or Kalita - are you finding the beans much slower to get to drawdown at your usual V60 setting and what’s your sweet spot?

Yeah, I noticed the same thing. Can be a trait of coffee from a certain region...

Don't know if I should say where though... 🤣

I'm having these mostly as spro and flat white 👍

Disclaimer: It's taken a lot of willpower to not click on this thread for the past 2 weeks. I wanted to see how my tasting notes compared to the rest without being influenced by previous comments. Therefore I may be way off! I've only had 3 cups and I'm not certain I have it dialled in yet so maybe more to come but here's my initial thoughts:

A very well balanced coffee. Easy drinking. I've found some citrus like acidity in there somewhere, I'm not sure whether I'd say lemons or limes for taste. Some florals, hibiscus possibly. A bit earthy in places. I've found it pretty 'tea like' and for that reason I'm plummeting on a washed Ethiopian. 

As per my earlier comment, I wouldn't shocked if it were Colombian! 

I'm now heading through the other 4 pages of this thread to see what everyone else thinks!

Overall a good coffee. Thanks to HH, Darren and BC. 

Edited by Rapid
  • Like 1

I have only tried my first. I got dry aged steak on the nose, and a definite earthiness. pleasant drinking, I am unable to describe it as anything distinctive though. 

not sure what funk is, but I dont think it has any.

5 minutes ago, Marcros said:

I have only tried my first. I got dry aged steak on the nose, and a definite earthiness. pleasant drinking, I am unable to describe it as anything distinctive though. 

not sure what funk is, but I dont think it has any.

I've also struggled to get the specific flavours out yet. I'm going to play a bit more with the grind. Love the 'dry aged steak' description. I was going with 'biscuits' for aroma 😂

See I'd prefer it if I bought a packet of digestive biscuits and found a kilo of speciality coffee inside. If the packet contained steak or tomatoes I'd be less impressed. I'm loving these flavour descriptions this month! I'm enjoying mine as espresso and flat whites but struggling to put a name to what I am tasting, apart from "good".

___

Eat, drink and be merry

Another excellent LSOL offering. In my opinion at it's peak right now.

Following the 18g into 40g recipe (30secondsish) I'm getting a soft smooth shot of nuts and dates. No tomato. No bacon.

I am finding a milk chocolate finish. All in all very balanced and also easy  to achieve consistent results. 

No idea of the origin but would go for a Central American washed. Possibly Honduras. 

LSOL buying team are in great form this quarter. Keep up the splendid work 👍

• Like 3

In espressos to the recipe I get some of the malty sweetness of dates, a little raisin-esque acidity. Nice body which got overwhelming when I ground finer. Nicely balanced and quite moreish to me, I'd be quite happy to buy this. 

I have nowhere near the experience to make an informed guess so for fun I'll say costa rica bc that's where I think I had another bean from which had a touch of raisin.  

Taste of bean intensified today in the French press.

Massive intense flavours, really a big change from the quite subtle yesterday. As others said it's taken this long to reach its peak.

I changed my ratio a tad and have been having lovely Kalita brews from 15g beans to 235g of water instead of 250, delicious.

Reveal coming mid next week and then next months guest roaster thread goes up so let's here any last guesses or tasting notes!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1