• Like 1

Gaggia Classic / Aeropress / V60 / Niche Zero / Wilfa Svart / Feldgrind

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Many thanks to @Hairy_Hogg and @Daren for arranging this and giving us the opportunity to roast for such a fabulous group of enthusiasts. Congrats to @filthynines on guessing the correct origin a

OK - So the guesses have all dried up, time for a reveal. Daterra Full Bloom Origin: Brazil Process: Natural Altitude: 1100-1200m Harvest: May - August Flavour: Dried Apr

Tomorrow 👍

Posted Images

See I'd prefer it if I bought a packet of digestive biscuits and found a kilo of speciality coffee inside. If the packet contained steak or tomatoes I'd be less impressed. I'm loving these flavour descriptions this month! I'm enjoying mine as espresso and flat whites but struggling to put a name to what I am tasting, apart from "good".

___

Eat, drink and be merry

• Haha 2

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Another excellent LSOL offering. In my opinion at it's peak right now.

Following the 18g into 40g recipe (30secondsish) I'm getting a soft smooth shot of nuts and dates. No tomato. No bacon.

I am finding a milk chocolate finish. All in all very balanced and also easy  to achieve consistent results. 

No idea of the origin but would go for a Central American washed. Possibly Honduras. 

LSOL buying team are in great form this quarter. Keep up the splendid work 👍

• Like 3

In espressos to the recipe I get some of the malty sweetness of dates, a little raisin-esque acidity. Nice body which got overwhelming when I ground finer. Nicely balanced and quite moreish to me, I'd be quite happy to buy this. 

I have nowhere near the experience to make an informed guess so for fun I'll say costa rica bc that's where I think I had another bean from which had a touch of raisin.  

Taste of bean intensified today in the French press.

Massive intense flavours, really a big change from the quite subtle yesterday. As others said it's taken this long to reach its peak.

I changed my ratio a tad and have been having lovely Kalita brews from 15g beans to 235g of water instead of 250, delicious.

Reveal coming mid next week and then next months guest roaster thread goes up so let's here any last guesses or tasting notes!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Mr LSOL - November offering here -> Clicky <-

I'm going Brazilian natural for these. I've really enjoyed them, so thanks @BlackCatCoffee! And usually by this point in the month I would be out of beans, but since I went for the 1kg option this quarter I'm still going strong!

• Like 2

Decent DE1XL ++ Niche Zero ++ Aeropress ++ V60

Coffee by the Casuals

I'm still not sure about these! 

The filters and espressos are still great. It's an odd one I think because I'm so used to chasing the funk that I've almost forgotten what it's like to have a nice, balanced, inoffensive coffee... To the point where I'm still not sure about tasting notes.

Im sticking with washed African. No idea where though, keep changing my mind. 

How about... Washed Rwanda? 

• Like 1

Lelit MaraX, Niche Zero, MBK Feldgrind, Gene Cafe 101, several brewers... 

2 minutes ago, jaffro said:

I'm still not sure about these! 

The filters and espressos are still great. It's an odd one I think because I'm so used to chasing the funk that I've almost forgotten what it's like to have a nice, balanced, inoffensive coffee... To the point where I'm still not sure about tasting notes.

Im sticking with washed African. No idea where though, keep changing my mind. 

How about... Washed Rwanda? 

Agree this one is very tricky! 

I struggled to dial it in at first but now that I've played around with the grind I've discovered new flavours in my v60's. Managed to get some red berries. 

I do think it's washed. Could definitely be Rwandan. My original thought Ethopian, possible. Also has the balance of many Colombian's I've had. Eagar to see the reveal! 

• Like 1

Hmmm.. I'm still thinking washed... Really not sure about country/region but dont think I'll be getting anymore inspiration so lets take a punt at a good old fashioned washed Colombian!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlackCatCoffee said:

Really enjoying reading through all the comments! I am very much looking forward to the reveal.

Me too. I'm impressed with the coffee. Nearly all gone now though. Intrigued.

OK - So the guesses have all dried up, time for a reveal.

Daterra Full Bloom

Origin: Brazil

Process: Natural

Altitude: 1100-1200m

Harvest: May - August

Flavour: Dried Apricots, Dark Berries, Pecan Pie

SCA Cup Score: 87

A lovely coffee from one of the most advance and experimental producers in the world. Not super fruit forward but more about refinement and elegance in cup.

Excellent espresso with beautiful balance. Makes delicate filter with subtle notes of nuts and winter berries. Benefits from a good rest after roasting and sweetness really comes to the fore after 2-3 weeks.

A fully natural process coffee that begins its journey at the peak of the harvest when the cherries are filled with honey-like liquor. The beans start drying on the tree, then transferred in cherry to the patio, until the honey is almost dissolved. The drying is finished in the dryer to insure consistent moisture content and stabilization of the beans. The ripe fruit aromatics and exotic flavors of stone fruits, blueberry and plum make for a succulent juicy mouthfeel reminiscent of a fine wine. Full bodied with a clean caramel-fruity finish that smoothly rolls over the palate.

Falling within Brazils famous Cerrado that makes up nearly 23% of the entire country, Daterra are the worlds first grade A rainforest certified farm of any business, and a walk around the trees will reveal a stunning array of birds and wildlife, from toucans and burrowing owls to squirrel monkeys and maned wolves. Over 60% of the land they own is given over to nature reserves. The farm itself it split into many lots, each with a designated agronomist to care for the particular varietal and aspect each lot defines. With over 100 different varietals on their farms, development is tracked and planting paired with appropriate varietal.

By cupping all the variables, the tasting team are able to precisely pick the components that make up each blend, to ensure the consistency of flavour profile required. The varietals can vary slightly, as selection is done on flavour profile rather than by varietal type, which for Full Bloom is ripe stonefruit, blueberry and lots of caramel. Beans are size, density and electronic pentachromatically sorted and packed in to vacuum packaging then boxes, a packaging system created by Daterra themselves in order to preserve the quality of green for as long as possible.

Thanks to David @BlackCatCoffee for being great to work with on this one and providing a great bean.

It was nice to have a break from all the special fermentation beans we had a run of and focus on a high scoring bean that delivered quality in the cup.

Next month guest list coming soon.....

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5

Mr LSOL - November offering here -> Clicky <-

Many thanks to @Hairy_Hogg and @Daren for arranging this and giving us the opportunity to roast for such a fabulous group of enthusiasts.

Congrats to @filthynines on guessing the correct origin and process.

Usually we tend to favour funk and fruit in our coffee but I just kept being drawn back to this one on the cupping table. As we said in the reveal notes, this was not big on fruit but it just had such a refined and delicate flavour in the cup. Elegant is how I would describe it.

If people still have some left I have been enjoying it at a really long 1:5 ratio in recent days. It is also lovely in the humble French Press.

Many thanks to everyone that bought and hopefully we will be able to roast for you again in the future and if so you are going to get the most crazy, funky, fermented fruit bomb I can get my hands on!

David

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

www.blackcatcoffee.co.uk

Coffee | Espresso Machines | Grinders | Accessories

ACS Minima now in stock!

I'm amazed, I was miles off! I've had a surprising Brazilian in the past but didn't suspect on this one. 

Thanks for a cracking offering this month. Not what I'd usually have gone for, but in a good way! 

• Like 1

Lelit MaraX, Niche Zero, MBK Feldgrind, Gene Cafe 101, several brewers... 

Thanks again @BlackCatCoffee! Superb choice for LSOL!

I've just tried your 1:5 ratio as suggested above and it's smooth and nutty with a caramel after taste. Delicious!

00000IMG_00000_BURST20200923124729088_COVER.jpg

• Like 1

Espresso - Sage DB. Niche Zero.

Brewed - Lido E. Aeropress. v60. CCD. French Press

I had a 1:5 shot this morning as well. 18 in 90 out, hadn't considered the size of my espresso cup, close we made it :D 

Really delicious, would recommend for anyone with some left!

• Like 1

This is still excellent, had another cup this morning. Delicate and elegant is a great way of describing it, though as with others my palate isn't refined enough to refer to specific tastes beyond that.

Still got 60g left I'd say so thinking of doing a Moka Pot as well as a double v60 for us both this weekend. Received strong feedback from my other half too so all round a successful month I'd say! 

• Like 1

I've been having this as espresso and it's got better and better.

Had 10g left today so made a little blend with 8.5g of Square Mile Ethiopian Aricha.

Thought i'd try another one of these 1:5 ratio shots, last one was so good.

Cut the shot short at 1:03/75g... Obviously I was shooting in the dark a little but still a tad longer than anticipated... 😆

Didn't taste as bad as feared but the flavours were a bit "bunched" if you know what I mean.

Added 150ml of water to open it up a bit and it's surprisingly good! Really juicy, stone fruit and nuts with a wine like mouthfeel.

I love an end of bag blend 👍🤣

• Like 1

thanks @Black Cat Coffee for the 1:5 ratio advice, I was struggling to get a rounded flavour as the beans aged over the month, probably down to a lucky grinder guesstimate at the beginning!  

I too added some water to make it less dense but its not very often I have such good results on an espresso - usually resorting to a V60 or french press to ensure I get something enjoyable, but not this month. Have had a couple of french press but that was mostly down to choice/ ease of preparation than necessity. 

It been a great coffee and getting advice from the roaster has made this a very easy coffee to get good results - many thanks to all involved:coffee:

• Like 2