LSOL September - Black Cat [Norfolk]

On 08/09/2020 at 15:45, Hairy_Hogg said:

I had a lovely espresso of these straight from the freezer - I had some beans left from the LSOL roast sample, really long extraction (50s on my sage) but super sweet and tasty.

V60's are coming in at around 3.20 - cannot comment on tasting notes.

Ice coffee made from these really is good as well - try the Workshop or Hoffman method.

I just tried first espresso. Possibly a bit early (think black cat said 2 weeks peak?), but had to try! 

15:33 on the MaraX at setting 11 on the Niche came through at 45 seconds. Little long, but actually tasted great... Can see how you got a decent long extraction. 

No idea about tasting notes because I suck at picking them out in espresso, but is was balanced, but of sweetness, some acitity (thought it was tomato ish but think that's because I need to tweak the recipe!). V60 was a bit more berries or something for me I think, so espresso came through a little differently... 

More tweaking required 😊 but I still think Africa... 

IMG_20200910_115824.jpg

• Like 1

Lelit MaraX, Niche Zero, MBK Feldgrind, Gene Cafe 101, several brewers... 

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tomorrow 👍

OK - So the guesses have all dried up, time for a reveal. Daterra Full Bloom Origin: Brazil Process: Natural Altitude: 1100-1200m Harvest: May - August Flavour: Dried Apr

Many thanks to @Hairy_Hogg and @Daren for arranging this and giving us the opportunity to roast for such a fabulous group of enthusiasts. Congrats to @filthynines on guessing the correct origin a

Posted Images

Tomato is an interesting one! I am sure someone said bacon in a previous LSOL. I just need to find some coffee with notes of lettuce and I have a cracking blend in mind 😁

Although I think my favourite tasting note is the one James Hoffman mentioned in a video - late stage Marlon Brando. That is the tasting note I aspire to now.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

www.blackcatcoffee.co.uk

Coffee | Equipment | Accessories | Service & Repair

Fracino | Eureka | Motta | IMS

Just tried my first cup from the Clever Dripper of these and like it.

It’s definitely got a bit of funk going on in there somewhere for me so possibly had some sort of anaerobic/fermentation process involved?

First impression are Central American anaerobic processed.

35 minutes ago, BlackCatCoffee said:

Tomato is an interesting one! I am sure someone said bacon in a previous LSOL. I just need to find some coffee with notes of lettuce and I have a cracking blend in mind 😁

Although I think my favourite tasting note is the one James Hoffman mentioned in a video - late stage Marlon Brando. That is the tasting note I aspire to now.

Yeah can't say I got bacon in any previous ones, but if you ever make a BLT blend I'll give it a try 😉 

Probably wasn't really tomato, just the sweetness and acidity merging together and me being crap at espresso tasting notes! 

Lelit MaraX, Niche Zero, MBK Feldgrind, Gene Cafe 101, several brewers... 

1 minute ago, jaffro said:

Yeah can't say I got bacon in any previous ones, but if you ever make a BLT blend I'll give it a try 😉 

Probably wasn't really tomato, just the sweetness and acidity merging together and me being crap at espresso tasting notes! 

I am not going to pass on my own thoughts on this one but I can understand how someone might pick tomato out from a coffee. As you say - sweet and acidity with some fruity edge, totally get how that brings you to tomato. Not sure I have personally encountered bacon in a coffee but I have heard all sorts in cupping sessions.

I find it absolutely fascinating how peoples palates vary. I am really enjoying seeing all the guesses and thoughts on here so far!

If I ever make a BLT blend you'll be the first to know 🤣

• Like 2

www.blackcatcoffee.co.uk

Coffee | Equipment | Accessories | Service & Repair

Fracino | Eureka | Motta | IMS

Kenya sometimes has a tomato soup vibe.

___
Eat, drink and be merry

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

1 hour ago, hotmetal said:

Kenya sometimes has a tomato soup vibe.

___
Eat, drink and be merry

Definitely. Think I've told this anecdote before but last year at a local roaster bags of what I knew to be a very nice Kenyan were sitting on the shelves...one of the staff remarked that using tomato as a tasting note was a mistake.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
   /\_/\ .。oO(Vesuvius, Niche Zero, V60)
   >^.^<.---.
  _'-`-'     )\
 (--\ |--\ (`.`-.
     --'  --'  ``-'

Hahaha! Yeah, it intrigued me when I first heard it. I'm generally up for trying stuff. Probably not on most people's preference list though. Hopefully that enabled you to grab a couple of keys at a good price?

___
Eat, drink and be merry

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Ooohhhh yes this has the savoury funk big time.... I would depart from the usual Kenyan tomato vibe and be as bold as to say Knorr vegetable stock cube. Looking forward to getting to the office now and hitting the Clever dripper with this one.

Thanks all as always.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just opened the bag and tried a quick espresso.

Much slower than the suggested recipe on the bag.
15 sec pi at 5 bar 15.5- 32gm in .....65secs!
No bitterness, surprisingly not too “coffee”
But obviously non of the Subtleties i was hoping for.
Pleasant caramel/ choc.
Tomorrow i grind much coarser and see if i can get closer to the recommend recipe and what i covered up.

Any tips on areopress I am struggling with this using my feltgirnd starting at my usual 1.6 14g into full inverted 30sec bloom fill up 45sec flip and press I have been gradually grinder courser but not getting much luck

I’ve just doubled my steep time in the Clever Dripper to 8 minutes and while it lost a bit of its funkiness it was far more balanced. I ground as normal just increased the steep time, maybe try the same for the aeropress.

• Like 1

I’ve lost my espresso capability for
Now and only have Chemex Or Kalita.
Grind and extraction time all good.
I get the veg stock on the nose, but not in the cup. Generally struggling for much more in the cup other than a pleasant and smooth coffee.

Caveat here is I’m also only on slightly softened water from my quooker and not nicely filtered mg enhanced until my treatment is plumbed. My water isn’t the best so maybe it’s being hampered.

• Like 2

French press and espresso, happy with both.

Subtle compared to a full on bean but must admit I like it a lot. I can always tell when I have 2 french press in the mornings and one double espresso (with milk) at lunchtime.

If I don't particularly really like a bean, I will miss one of my three daily coffee's out, not doing that here for the last few days!

• Like 1

I started these a few days ago (about a week resting) and was brave going straight into espresso and couldn't believe my luck at getting a great looking and tasting shot after only a couple of goes. It was handy to have the espresso guide on the bag and used my 'default after cleaning' mark on the iberital found it was close enough to be called a success [emoji7].

Thought I would try a v60 this morning and it was definitely missing something so went back to the Gaggia and was not disappointed!

My husband thanks you all [emoji6]

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Really cracking, this

Started the bag Saturday and have been glugging it ever since. Balanced, sweet, sone kind of red fruits. First thoughts were a natural but tonight decided it’s a washed Ethiopia - likely way out!!!! Really enjoying it, whatever it is 😁 

16g/36s/36g it worked from the first shot and I haven’t changed a thing.

Thanks again for organising and to @BlackCatCoffee for a fabulous bean which in my humble opinion is roasted to perfection 😁 

• Like 2

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles  /  1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip, tamper and stand, portafilter stand  /  Monolith Titan MAX and MC4-Duo on order  /  Leather Tamper Mat, MAX Mat and Tamper Stand by Mildred's Bar Towels! / HG-1  /  Kalita wave  /  Stag kettle  /  OCD  /  Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer  /  gold B Plus stirrer  /  Push Tamper  /  Puqpress  /  EPHQ 14g baskets & 15g & 18g vst  /  IMS 35μM  /  LDT  /  Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers  /  LW Bean Cellars & Caddy  /  Decent thermometer  /  Acme Evo 150ml cups  /  Espazzola  /  Hottop  /  embroidered by me bar towels  /  coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  /  in the cellars: HasBean, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, Craft House sub  /  6 gorgeous guineas  /  a dog  /  a very lovely and understanding husband 

Towel Vendor / KafaTek and Londinium Fan

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/MildredsBarTowels

#MildredMittens #BusyLittleMen 

I've been having these as espresso for the last few days following the recipe on the bag; 18g/38g in 30 seconds.

Really clean, sweet, and bright :)

Just had some as a flat white and that was lovely too, lot's of fudgey brown sugar... mmmmmmm....

I'm pretty sure it's washed process, no funk for me, and now they've rested a bit I'm thinking maybe they are African but still not sure... I'll just have to have a few more :D

Gaggia Classic / Aeropress / V60 / Niche Zero / Wilfa Svart / Feldgrind

I decided to use the Kalita for these as the bag opening coincided with a new video from Scott Rao http://

titled Updated Manual Pouriver Technique and thought I’d follow the method for these beans.

If you look at the video you’ll see that SR places a small circle of fine mesh under the filter to prevent the holes from getting blocked by the paper. I haven’t found anything that would work like that yet so I’m trusting to luck that my holes are clear.

For the beans that SR is using he says that he’s at “42 on the Nitch” so that was my starting point too.

42 on the Niche gave me a drawdown of 4:20 and a brew that was pretty astringent. I’ve been pushing the grinder coarser over the days that followed and yesterday at 49 I was starting to get the brown sugar sweetness that’s been mentioned earlier and a drawdown of 3:45.

At 52 this morning it was still a slow drawdown at 3:43 and no improvement in taste so my plan is to push out to 60 on the next brew and see where that gets me.

I’m enjoying the journey and the coffee on this month’s LSOL but don’t think I’ve arrived at my ideal destination yet.

Anyone else brewing these using the new Scott Rao technique? If so what are you finding?

Other Niche users brewing with V60 or Kalita - are you finding the beans much slower to get to drawdown at your usual V60 setting and what’s your sweet spot?

Niche Grinder, Decent Espresso tamper, V60, CCD, Aeropress, French Press, Moka pot, Kinu M47, Feldgrind, Porlex Mini, Kawasaki Versys 650 mk1

I was just dialling these in when my EK died.  I think it needs a new switch module.  Fortunately the office Niche isn't being used so over to that.  As the Niche produces a more conventional brew I used the example recipe but adjusted for 15g, so 15 > 32 in 25s, and it's spot on in my book.  Now I need to try and think what they are.

Home: Sage Dual Boiler, Probat EK43 & Feldgind

Work: Sage Dual Boiler & Niche Zero

1 hour ago, salty said:

Other Niche users brewing with V60 or Kalita - are you finding the beans much slower to get to drawdown at your usual V60 setting and what’s your sweet spot?

Yeah, I noticed the same thing. Can be a trait of coffee from a certain region...

Don't know if I should say where though... 🤣

I'm having these mostly as spro and flat white 👍

Gaggia Classic / Aeropress / V60 / Niche Zero / Wilfa Svart / Feldgrind

First try of espresso today. Average grind 18g=>37g 49 secs. Need to grind finer. I’m in Tomato zone [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

Disclaimer: It's taken a lot of willpower to not click on this thread for the past 2 weeks. I wanted to see how my tasting notes compared to the rest without being influenced by previous comments. Therefore I may be way off! I've only had 3 cups and I'm not certain I have it dialled in yet so maybe more to come but here's my initial thoughts:

A very well balanced coffee. Easy drinking. I've found some citrus like acidity in there somewhere, I'm not sure whether I'd say lemons or limes for taste. Some florals, hibiscus possibly. A bit earthy in places. I've found it pretty 'tea like' and for that reason I'm plummeting on a washed Ethiopian. 

As per my earlier comment, I wouldn't shocked if it were Colombian! 

I'm now heading through the other 4 pages of this thread to see what everyone else thinks!

Overall a good coffee. Thanks to HH, Darren and BC. 

Edited by Rapid
  • Like 1

I have only tried my first. I got dry aged steak on the nose, and a definite earthiness. pleasant drinking, I am unable to describe it as anything distinctive though. 

not sure what funk is, but I dont think it has any.

5 minutes ago, Marcros said:

I have only tried my first. I got dry aged steak on the nose, and a definite earthiness. pleasant drinking, I am unable to describe it as anything distinctive though. 

not sure what funk is, but I dont think it has any.

I've also struggled to get the specific flavours out yet. I'm going to play a bit more with the grind. Love the 'dry aged steak' description. I was going with 'biscuits' for aroma 😂