LSOL September - Black Cat [Norfolk]

15 hours ago, Kman10 said:

Looks like I’m last again :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm waiting for mine to be (re)delivered tomorrow.

I swear the postman must have surveillance on my house. With working from home, I'm around when the post gets delivered every day. Until I have a parcel that's too big for the letter box, then he changes his schedule and seems to wait for the one brief window in the day when there is nobody home. Then he pounces like a ninja, puts the failed delivery card through the door, and disappears again.

I think the timing will work out well though, I should finish my current bag just in time for these beans to be well rested.

• Like 1
  • Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Many thanks to @Hairy_Hogg and @Daren for arranging this and giving us the opportunity to roast for such a fabulous group of enthusiasts. Congrats to @filthynines on guessing the correct origin a

OK - So the guesses have all dried up, time for a reveal. Daterra Full Bloom Origin: Brazil Process: Natural Altitude: 1100-1200m Harvest: May - August Flavour: Dried Apr

Tomorrow 👍

Posted Images

I swear the postman must have surveillance on my house. With working from home, I'm around when the post gets delivered every day. Until I have a parcel that's too big for the letter box, then he changes his schedule and seems to wait for the one brief window in the day when there is nobody home. Then he pounces like a ninja, puts the failed delivery card through the door, and disappears again.
I think the timing will work out well though, I should finish my current bag just in time for these beans to be well rested.

This so reminded me of this:

Got mine, the packaging isn’t sealed properly and beans can fall out. I think I’d read somewhere that @Black Cat Coffee were using some new packaging so might be worth double-checking it’s sealing ok. Not tried the coffee yet but it smells nice. 

C5013498-B49A-478D-8990-D4A5EB685E6B.jpeg

Well I'm completely out of coffee except for a couple of aeropress worth. Very much hoping the postie has them in their bag this morning!

Update: yay! Perfect timing.

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

V60 time... 

15:250, ground on niche at the back right hinge. Bloom 50g, at 45 seconds pour up to 150g, then at 1:30 pour up to 250g. Total brew time 3:45. 

Currently not a clue what this is, think I need to go a bit coarser to get more of the flavours out, but it's not a bad start! I'm getting more of a nutty flavour perhaps from this brew, but I feel there's some acidity in there that I could draw out with some experimentation. Think this could be a banger of an espresso when it's rested long enough.

More playtime needed before I make any origin guesses... 

Any other v60s so far? 

IMG_20200907_111703.jpg

Edited by jaffro
  • Like 1

Lelit MaraX, Niche Zero, MBK Feldgrind, Gene Cafe 101, several brewers... 

On 06/09/2020 at 12:06, SDM said:

Safely redelivered this morning. Postman's surveillance skills must be failing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@jaffro, also had as a v60 this morning.

18:300, ground on niche at 45. Bloom 60g, then 60g every 30s until 300g reached

Total brew time 3:10

I'm getting a bit of nuttiness too and also a herbal note with a good bit of acidity. Really reminds me of a Rwandan Bourbon I had a while ago. Really tasty and unlike any of my other beans I have in at the minute!

Probably needs a tad more rest but will be trying as an espresso in the coming days.

• Like 2

Espresso - Sage DB. Niche Zero.

Brewed - Lido E. Aeropress. v60. CCD. French Press

1 hour ago, nufc1 said:

@jaffro, also had as a v60 this morning.

18:300, ground on niche at 45. Bloom 60g, then 60g every 30s until 300g reached

Total brew time 3:10

I'm getting a bit of nuttiness too and also a herbal note with a good bit of acidity. Really reminds me of a Rwandan Bourbon I had a while ago. Really tasty and unlike any of my other beans I have in at the minute!

Probably needs a tad more rest but will be trying as an espresso in the coming days.

I never would have got a 3:10 brew if I set the Niche to 45 haha, probably more like 6 mins... I'm going to try again later and see if I can get something closer to the 3 minute mark to compare. 

Interesting it reminds you of a Rwandan. I was broadly thinking "Africa"... But very tentative guess at the moment! 

Lelit MaraX, Niche Zero, MBK Feldgrind, Gene Cafe 101, several brewers... 

I had a lovely espresso of these straight from the freezer - I had some beans left from the LSOL roast sample, really long extraction (50s on my sage) but super sweet and tasty.

V60's are coming in at around 3.20 - cannot comment on tasting notes.

Ice coffee made from these really is good as well - try the Workshop or Hoffman method.

Mr LSOL - November offering, Vagabond, here -> Clicky <- (debate still going on)

December offering, Obadiah, here -> Clicky <-

Received safely yesterday and cracked open today. I've felt the need to reduce my dose for Chemex to 27g per 500ml as they seem to extract really easily. I can't measure TDS but y tastebuds told me that the first brew was too intense. Second brew much more to my liking. Couldn't really discern particular flavours so will play with grind settings to see whether I'm missing the sweet spot.

On 07/09/2020 at 12:32, BlackCatCoffee said:

@Sly Apologies! Please drop me a PM with your name and address and I will sort it for you 👍

Thanks, it’s nice of you to offer but there’s no need to sort anything out - the beans should still be fine

• Thanks 1
18 hours ago, Hairy_Hogg said:

I had a lovely espresso of these straight from the freezer - I had some beans left from the LSOL roast sample, really long extraction (50s on my sage) but super sweet and tasty.

Interesting your doing such a long extraction - might have to give that a go, been enjoying 18->36g in 35s on my maraX, but thats with a long pre-infusion.  Defiantly good a sweet :)

Fingers crossed today is delivery day, anybody else still waiting?

Yup!

Nuova Simonelli Oscar II // Macap MXD //

27 minutes ago, siliconslave said:

Interesting your doing such a long extraction - might have to give that a go, been enjoying 18->36g in 35s on my maraX, but thats with a long pre-infusion.  Defiantly good a sweet :)

That was a one off long extraction as the beans from frozen took longer to get to my desired output weight compared to non frozen beans.

Mr LSOL - November offering, Vagabond, here -> Clicky <- (debate still going on)

December offering, Obadiah, here -> Clicky <-

Been having these as V60 last few days. Not quite got to grips with them yet...

First one (2:0 on Feld) stalled (which maybe indicative of something to someone who knows more than me!) but it still tasted a little flat so I went a tad finer with the next one (1:12 on Feld) but that was a little bitter so this morning I went the other way and loosened the grind to 2:2! Better but still room for improvement.

The V60 method I use invariably finishes between 2.33 and 2.44 but even with a looser grind these beans are taking at least 3 minutes which could suggest an Ethiopian but I'm not really getting any Ethiopian taste from them... more South American to me, maybe Colombian but give me a couple more brews to decide! :D Also think it's a washed process.

I have a hunch these guys might be at their best through the espresso machine after a good rest.

As ever thanks to @Hairy_Hogg and @Daren for organising. 👍

• Like 2

Gaggia Classic / Aeropress / V60 / Niche Zero / Wilfa Svart / Feldgrind

5 hours ago, Kman10 said:

Fingers crossed today is delivery day, anybody else still waiting?

Mrs D has actually just picked mine up from the lost world that is the local sorting office.

They arrived sometime over the weekend - the date on the card was unreadable (which is
a) tricky for dd/mm or dd/mm/yyyy
b) only important if you need the info for some reason (see below))

She had attempted to pick them up Monday but the Collection place was closed (altered hours due to Covid (Altered apparently but not publicised as the website still advertises "normal" times))

She had then tried to pick them up yesterday but was too busy

So today she decided to just arrange a redelivery, to avoid complications...
However after filling in her life history in the online form (after previously giving up on attempting to use the publicised phone line) she was presented with a field : Original Delivery date.... which as mentioned above... was unreadable and after entering her best guess.. her life story was basically deleted and she was expected to fill it all in again (to try a new date)...

She basically said "Sod it" and went to the collection office again - which remarkably was actually open...

Oh well - All's well that ends well (and lets face it it wasn't me that had the run around all week ;-) )  

• Like 1

There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Manic Obsession"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stuff......

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently enjoying LSOL