So I just wanted to ask the good people hear for there ideas and advice on taming the sour'ness of my shot

I'm dosing

17g in

41-42g out

In 30-35 seconds

I'm not really sure what to do right now weather I should make my grind slightly finer and aim for around 40-45second long extraction, or if there is something else to do as it sounds like a long extraction time personally or am I just being abut stupid hear with not pushing the extraction time longer. 

Maybe I have been to heavily conditioned that extraction times should stick between 25-30seconds, I'm slowly learning that the standard idea of 18g in 30-36g out in 25-30seconds has never worked for me personally. I always end up getting a face full of sour 

Thanks for the read and advice on improving my shots 

Have you tried increasing the temp by a degree or two? Warming the machine and everything up properly? Distribution good? What coffee and grinder are you using, and when was the coffee roasted (how long has it been rested?)?

You could either a longer ratio like a 1:2.5 or 1:3, or a finer grind, or both. 

Water alkalinity could be a contributing factor. 

ACS Minima (Beta) with Bianca Paddle -- Reskinned Ceado E8, Niche Zero --- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

WATER CALCULATOR

8 hours ago, Rob1 said:

Have you tried increasing the temp by a degree or two? Warming the machine and everything up properly? Distribution good? What coffee and grinder are you using, and when was the coffee roasted (how long has it been rested?)?

You could either a longer ratio like a 1:2.5 or 1:3, or a finer grind, or both. 

Water alkalinity could be a contributing factor. 

I'm not sure but I don't think I am able to increase the temp of my machine, I have a fracino cherub I will have a look in to this idea tho. 

I always allowed the machine to fully heat up with pf in the group. To be honest at the moment my coffee isn't the best quality but it's definitely rested long enough from roast. 

I have a macap m4 and a fracino model T (a re-badge cunill) so not the best grinders but both more then capable Imo. As for my distribution I believe this is fine there are no visible defects to the puck,

I mix the grounds up to knock any small clumps apart, shake the pf to level the bed and lightly tap the pf down to collapse the bed, followed by a distribution tool turned counter clockwise then clockwise until level follow by a push type tamp. Then I do a quick flush lock in the pf wipe the drip tray place scales and false then pull the shot

I'm looking in to buying something so I am able to tell the actual temp of the water coming out the group.  Or possibly making one with a spare basket, portafilter and a thermal couple, so I know what I am dealing with temp wise 

But thanks for the reply for now I will just try making the grind slightly finer and pull a longer shot and a slightly bigger ration closer to a 1:3 

Of the bat I'm thinking brew hotter or increase you brew ratio. Do you have a naked to check how the pours are? Maybe you could try a darker roast as theyre easier to extract.