Zaynah

Linea Mini Settings and Tips

Hi everyone,

I have a new linea mini coffee machine and would love to get your suggestions on temperature pre brewing, any other settings and tips/how to’s.

I went from a sage dual boiler to this and the steam wand frightens me every time. I have two questions that I’d love your advice on:

1. My Coffees are really hot and I noticed that the temperate was set to 97 degrees. My sage was set to 93.  What is the optimal temperature?

2. Somehow I manage to add too much air into my milk every time, it literally overflow and comes out of the pitcher. 

Any other tips also appreciated.

Hi and congratulations on your new arrival!

A general rule of thumb as a starting point for temperature is around the 93 degree point depending on the bean/roast. I’m not familiar with the PID setup on the Mini but the controller should manage the off-set - which basically means you should see whatever you set the temperature to at the group head, but the actual boiler temperature will be off-set higher to achieve that.

I’ve found with the GS3 that you need to insert the steam wand right into the milk and not try to mess around introducing air. It’s that powerful the air gets in anyway. You won’t have time to play around before it’s too hot. Just try to get a swirl going and that’s all that’s needed.

• Like 1

GS3 MP, Ceado E92 and E37s, Feldgrind. Niche.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Video of your milk steaming would help and 97 seems very high. Not going to lie though, I'm not sure how much difference the temperature of the brew water makes to the temperature of the coffee coming out of the puck when it comes to drinking it. 

It will affect the taste but those few degrees will be lost to a cold mug or leaving it on the side for 20 seconds while you sort out the milk. 

If you mean the milk drinks are too hot then you just need to spend less time texturing your milk. The pitcher should be hot enough that you can touch the base for a second or so before its too hot to keep touching as a rough guide. 

• Like 1

Hi,

Milk temperature is tricky until you have calibrated your finger or thumb to the correct temperature. One of the best value accessories I’ve bought (in terms of improvement in the cup of coffee per pound spent) is the Temp Tag https://ravecoffee.co.uk/products/temptags - I found it much easier than trying to juggle a thermometer in a smallish milk jug whilst learning to steam. After a few weeks use, you will acquire the feel of how hot the jug should be.

Regards,
John

• Like 1

Profitec Pro 600, Niche Zero, 1Zpresso JX Pro, Osmio Zero

If I could think of something witty and original to put in my signature, this is where it would be . . .

Posted (edited)

Hi. I am a Linea Mini owner. As lake_m said, 93 degrees is a good starting point. Perhaps 1 or 2 degrees more for a lighter roast and up to 3 degrees less for a darker roast. Ultimately it's what you like the taste of. There are a few Youtube videos of Linea Mini Milk steaming. Look up RealChrisBaca, The Real Sprometheus and CoffeewithDamo, which are all quite helpful. Also, James Hoffman is excellent on general coffee making information and he has also created an espresso making series of videos, which will help you. The steam wand is very powerful so air is introduced very easily and within a few seconds. Just keep practising and after a few months, you'll just have the muscle memory to get it right. Have fun!

Edited by Brew678
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Brew678 said:

Hi. I am a Linea Mini owner. As lake_m said, 93 degrees is a good starting point. Perhaps 1 or 2 degrees more for a lighter roast and up to 3 degrees less for a darker roast. Ultimately it's what you like the taste of. There are a few Youtube videos of Linea Mini Milk steaming. Look up RealChrisBaca, The Real Sprometheus and CoffeewithDamo, which are all quite helpful. Also, James Hoffman is excellent on general coffee making information and he has also created an espresso making series of videos, which will help you. The steam wand is very powerful so air is introduced very easily and within a few seconds. Just keep practising and after a few months, you'll just have the muscle memory to get it right. Have fun!

Thank you! I love RealChrisBaca and James Hoffman, both very knowledge and one more entertaining than the other but good nonetheless. I’ll watch some of their videos. I think it just be my technique, I realise that I try and fully turn the steam knob to get maximum impact but maybe only need to turn it a little. 

13 hours ago, lake_m said:

Hi and congratulations on your new arrival!

A general rule of thumb as a starting point for temperature is around the 93 degree point depending on the bean/roast. I’m not familiar with the PID setup on the Mini but the controller should manage the off-set - which basically means you should see whatever you set the temperature to at the group head, but the actual boiler temperature will be off-set higher to achieve that.

I’ve found with the GS3 that you need to insert the steam wand right into the milk and not try to mess around introducing air. It’s that powerful the air gets in anyway. You won’t have time to play around before it’s too hot. Just try to get a swirl going and that’s all that’s needed.

Thank you! 

On 14/08/2020 at 08:11, Zaynah said:

Hi everyone,

I have a new linea mini coffee machine and would love to get your suggestions on temperature pre brewing, any other settings and tips/how to’s.

I went from a sage dual boiler to this and the steam wand frightens me every time. I have two questions that I’d love your advice on:

1. My Coffees are really hot and I noticed that the temperate was set to 97 degrees. My sage was set to 93.  What is the optimal temperature?

2. Somehow I manage to add too much air into my milk every time, it literally overflow and comes out of the pitcher. 

Any other tips also appreciated.

Hey Zaynah, 

I had real trouble steaming milk for a single flat white because the steam pressure was set crazy high from the factory somewhere around 1.8 - 2 bar (it's the dial on the left)

It's a fairly easy to reduce the pressure and can make it much more manageable steaming smaller quantities of milk. I think mines at 1.3ish now and much more manageable.

As everyone else has said, 93 is a good place to start. I end up increasing the temp slightly if the beans have sat in the hopper too long but always go back to 93 with a fresh bag.

Not sure if you're using a naked portafilter but I was having a lot of issues with channelling / spritzing to start with. The machine has a high  water flow rate and can be quite unforgiving for poor prep (which I'm very lazy with) and can make quite a mess with a naked portafilter :D

If you're not having any issues then nothing to worry about but you can also change the pressure of the brew pump although this is a little more involved than the steam pressure. A little googling will show you the steps. I've settled for around 7bar on the brew pump.

Anyway, good luck!

La Marzocco Linea Mini, EK43s 

On 04/09/2020 at 13:46, JackBlackmore said:

Hey Zaynah, 

I had real trouble steaming milk for a single flat white because the steam pressure was set crazy high from the factory somewhere around 1.8 - 2 bar (it's the dial on the left)

It's a fairly easy to reduce the pressure and can make it much more manageable steaming smaller quantities of milk. I think mines at 1.3ish now and much more manageable.

As everyone else has said, 93 is a good place to start. I end up increasing the temp slightly if the beans have sat in the hopper too long but always go back to 93 with a fresh bag.

Not sure if you're using a naked portafilter but I was having a lot of issues with channelling / spritzing to start with. The machine has a high  water flow rate and can be quite unforgiving for poor prep (which I'm very lazy with) and can make quite a mess with a naked portafilter :D

If you're not having any issues then nothing to worry about but you can also change the pressure of the brew pump although this is a little more involved than the steam pressure. A little googling will show you the steps. I've settled for around 7bar on the brew pump.

Anyway, good luck!

Thank you so much. This is extremely helpful! My steam boiler pressure is set at just over 2! Altering it this morning.