IGNORED

Hi from London

Hello all,

Fairly new to coffee but finding the forum really useful so thought I would say hello.

Once I got bored of baking sourdough during lockdown I decided I needed a new hobby. I bought an old 2001 Gaggia classic off someone on facebook marketplace. It seems to be in great condition, no rust, and no evidence of any leaks when looking inside, however I don't know much about how it's been maintained. I also bought a 1zpresso jx pro direct from their website, which was delivery quickly (I have had to pay import tax however have managed to get out of the FedEx fee). It's my first grinder but from what I can tell its doing a great job. I have a bottomless portafilter and have fitted an upgraded steam wand. People have complained about the steaming power of the gaggia, however to me It seems powerful enough, maybe because the older machines have a higher power? I am waiting for some yagua scales to be delivered, currently using a basic kitchen scales to weight the dose, it is only sensitive to the nearest gram and also too big to actually fit under the portafilter to measure output so not ideal. 

I like different drinks, I love good espresso but also drink milk based. 

I have been playing around with temperature surfing, I am getting better results when I wait for the heating light to turn off, then switch on the steam switch for around 5 seconds. Still struggling with consistency, but things seem to be improving. 

Currently using Cuban serrano altura superior beans from coffee compass which are very nice. 

Next steps:

I don't know what the OPV is set at, annoyingly I don't have a portafilter with a removable nozzle (the gaggia one just has two small holes in the bottom) so I can't buy a pressure gauge to attach to the portafilter. I might get a portafilter with pressure gauge already attached so I can check to OPV. 

Thinking about getting Mr Shades PID but not sure at the moment. 

May get bored of manual grinding at some point, but it's working well for me at the moment.

Thanks for reading, any tips or recommendations much appreciated.

Tom 

• Like 2

Hi @hotdog and welcome to the forum

Nice introduction, haven't had the Cuban serrano from Coffee Compass or a while, makes for a lovely creamy cup :) well worth the added effort of ringing through to complete the purchase! 

Sounds like you well on the way to getting some consistency out of the Classic, it can be done just takes practice however the @@MrShades kit does take a lot of the guesswork out of it.

John

• Like 1
On 14/08/2020 at 02:55, hotdog said:

Currently using Cuban serrano altura superior beans from coffee compass which are very nice. 

Hi Tom welcome. I too am from London and currently drinking Cuban Serrano Altura Superior beans from Coffee Compass. I'm enjoying them, a very nice cup.

I don't have your machine but lots of advice on this forum about Classics.

Welcome! 😊

I have a Classic myself and would definitely recommend a @MrShadesPID. I held off for a bit but very glad I got one!  Much more stable temps and consistent shots.

You're probably way ahead of me but are you sure you can't screw the bottom spout of the gaggia portafilter off to attach a pressure gauge? I have mine set to 6 bar.

Good luck with it all, I'm sure you'll get all the help and infi you need here!

11 hours ago, Jon_Foster said:

Welcome! 😊

I have a Classic myself and would definitely recommend a @MrShadesPID. I held off for a bit but very glad I got one!  Much more stable temps and consistent shots.

You're probably way ahead of me but are you sure you can't screw the bottom spout of the gaggia portafilter off to attach a pressure gauge? I have mine set to 6 bar.

Good luck with it all, I'm sure you'll get all the help and infi you need here!

Thanks all for the welcome.

@Jon_Foster Unfortunately I'm pretty sure my portafilter (seen in the photo) cant easily be fitted to a gauge. I think I have found a conventional one to borrow so I can do the OPV mod though. What made you set to 6 vs the conventional 9 bar? 

IMG-6627.jpg

• Like 1
9 hours ago, hotdog said:

Thanks all for the welcome.

@Jon_Foster Unfortunately I'm pretty sure my portafilter (seen in the photo) cant easily be fitted to a gauge. I think I have found a conventional one to borrow so I can do the OPV mod though. What made you set to 6 vs the conventional 9 bar? 

IMG-6627.jpg

Aah I see, mine's different... I didn't realize for a few years that I could screw the spout off so thought I'd mention it!

I think the idea with setting the pressure lower is to help to reduce channeling through the puck, I'll be honest I'm not the guy for the science, I just did it because the grown ups did 👍😂