Gaggia Classic Pro Steam Tip Upgrade

Hi. I know that steam tip with more holes will not help too much, but I want try.

I can't find any new replace for my Gaggia. I messured that steam tip have only 6.5/7 mm, so, must looking M7 thread? Unfortunately all tips for sales are M8, 10 etc..

Also, I saw some adapters for steam wand tip like male M7 to male 1/8 BSPT Pipe Size 28TPI, which don't know which size is that in Europe.

Someone know is that steam tip possible to find and what size I looking for?

20200811_203451.jpg

From the measurements you provided I think this will be wrong ,cannot tell visually but by dims quite a difference between 1/16 BSP and  1/8 BSP.  approv  2 mm dia

I don't think there is anything wrong with your measurement, it's just not a metric thread (it would be M6.6 if there was such a thing). Gaggia parts are all BSP threads. If you are looking at a M8 tip you need a 1/16 BSP to M8 adapter. I can't find one though. Closest I could find was https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metric-Female-Bush-to-Bsp-Male-Adaptors-in-Brass-Fine-Metric-Adaptors/113199012905?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131231084308%26meid%3Db319bfd474f04de09ddaeb48ba65c3f0%26pid%3D100010%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D113108582347%26itm%3D113199012905%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DDefaultOrganic&_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109

Which gives you M10 or M8 to 1/8 bsp then you would need someting like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pipe-Check-Valve-1-8-BSP-Male-X-1-16-BSP-Female-One-Way-Fitting-Gas-PP-b3/163169861026?hash=item25fdae7da2:g:zBwAAOSwTZ1Xld89

Which is actually a check valve but I can't find a straight adapter.

This would end up being a bit long though. Have you thought about buying a 3 hole rancillo silvia steam wand and adapting it to fit your machine?

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Thank you man for your time, I really appreciate that.

After you ask me that, yes, I was searched for RC upgrade and I saw that is not that difficult to change (not need distroy half of machine).

Tell me is the Rancillo Silvia V3 good choice? I found many steam Tips for buy.

But, maybe will need istall kit with that wand? I saw one post that someone must drill extension (adapter) thread  for older Gaggia machine😯.

Edited by Strumph
18 hours ago, Strumph said:

Thank you man for your time, I really appreciate that.

After you ask me that, yes, I was searched for RC upgrade and I saw that is not that difficult to change (not need distroy half of machine).

Tell me is the Rancillo Silvia V3 good choice? I found many steam Tips for buy.

But, maybe will need istall kit with that wand? I saw one post that someone must drill extension (adapter) thread  for older Gaggia machine😯.

I have a V2 which was easy to install. V3 needs a kit because it's on a ball mount (unless you are a skilled fabricator). https://www.ferrari-espresso.com/product/gaggia-pre-2015-rancilio-steam-wand-v3-conversion-kit/

Good thread here on fitting the V3

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, grumpyjag said:

I have a V2 which was easy to install. V3 needs a kit because it's on a ball mount (unless you are a skilled fabricator). https://www.ferrari-espresso.com/product/gaggia-pre-2015-rancilio-steam-wand-v3-conversion-kit/

Good thread here on fitting the V3

1) is the outside tube of wand bigger of new V3 or not? In diameter.

2) Don't like the tip which come with V2 (have angles). Can I use on V2 nice shaped tips (like in new model) and with more holes?

Edited by Strumph
On 14/08/2020 at 13:16, grumpyjag said:

I don't think there is anything wrong with your measurement, it's just not a metric thread (it would be M6.6 if there was such a thing). Gaggia parts are all BSP threads. If you are looking at a M8 tip you need a 1/16 BSP to M8 adapter. I can't find one though. Closest I could find was https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metric-Female-Bush-to-Bsp-Male-Adaptors-in-Brass-Fine-Metric-Adaptors/113199012905?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131231084308%26meid%3Db319bfd474f04de09ddaeb48ba65c3f0%26pid%3D100010%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D113108582347%26itm%3D113199012905%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DDefaultOrganic&_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109

Which gives you M10 or M8 to 1/8 bsp then you would need someting like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pipe-Check-Valve-1-8-BSP-Male-X-1-16-BSP-Female-One-Way-Fitting-Gas-PP-b3/163169861026?hash=item25fdae7da2:g:zBwAAOSwTZ1Xld89

Which is actually a check valve but I can't find a straight adapter.

This would end up being a bit long though. Have you thought about buying a 3 hole rancillo silvia steam wand and adapting it to fit your machine?

I searched adapters and find this, why not install M10 tip?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fitting-Pipe-BSPP-BSP-1-16-Female-to-Metric-M10-M10X1-Male-Gauge-Adapter-P-70-/201797342328

And tip M10:

https://www.bluestarcoffee.eu/ascaso-barista-steam-nozzle-m10-6628-p.asp

Look my attached diagram please.

20200824_125646.jpg

20 hours ago, Strumph said:

That would be OK with the correct adapter but the one you've linked is male on the  M10 side (backwards compared with your diagram).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Strumph

You need to modify the V2 pipe by removing the steam tip and the rubber part then sliding the rancillo nut off and replacing it with your gaggia nut.

Alternatively you can buy a pre-modded one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Modified-Rancilio-Silvia-Gaggia-ESPRESS/dp/B00MZA8OVU

which for some reason is actually cheaper...

Edited by grumpyjag
@
6 hours ago, grumpyjag said:

@Strumph

You need to modify the V2 pipe by removing the steam tip and the rubber part then sliding the rancillo nut off and replacing it with your gaggia nut.

Alternatively you can buy a pre-modded one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Modified-Rancilio-Silvia-Gaggia-ESPRESS/dp/B00MZA8OVU

which for some reason is actually cheaper...

Which nut? I watched video installing wand and I saw that on old gaggia exist nut on the middle of pipe (if we talking of the middle of pipe), but on my Classic Pro on middle there is no nut - the one pipe go in other pipe and there is a buckle which hold in it together (see picture). There is no thread.

I have nut on the end of pipe (on solenoid valve). If you mean that, thats mean I need buy full size of pipe, but on my link which I send you is only half of pipe on Ebay.

Edited by Strumph
3 hours ago, Strumph said:

Which nut? I watched video installing wand and I saw that on old gaggia exist nut on the middle of pipe (if we talking of the middle of pipe), but on my Classic Pro on middle there is no nut - the one pipe go in other pipe and there is a buckle which hold in it together (see picture). There is no thread.

I have nut on the end of pipe (on solenoid valve). If you mean that, thats mean I need buy full size of pipe, but on my link which I send you is only half of pipe on Ebay.

I'm sorry, i didn't realise the new steam arm was fitted like that.

41Qu6zaC30L._AC_SX450_.jpg

Above photo is from pre-modified wand just because it shows the exposed end of the tube. It looks like you could just remove the nut from the wand and buckle it in the same as the gaggia one but as it's a rounded fitting on the rancillio I would be scared of the steam pressure blowing it out. A steal washer would probably resolve it but you would likely need to machine it yourself. Alternatively a full old classic steam assembly would probably work but that is difficult to track down and expensive. You would be cheaper finding a broken gaggia evolution on ebay or gumtree (seen them for £20 from time to time) and stripping out the full steam system including the vavle itself just in case they have changed the fitting on that as well.

Just to add a bit. If you are doing this because steaming milk takes forever this is primarily because steam pressure and temp in the pro is low as a low thing. Fitting a PID (see @MrShades for really good kit) allows you to up the temp setting for steam which makes a world of difference.

Yeah I'm wondering what the goal is here. More holes in the tip will make steaming milk harder of you're low on steam power. The steam will come out slower and make it harder to get a whirlpool going.

22 hours ago, grumpyjag said:

I'm sorry, i didn't realise the new steam arm was fitted like that.

Yeah, it seems we understand each other now 😏

10 hours ago, El carajillo said:

@StrumphThe component you want to buy from E/bay is not compatible with the Pro wand in post 16.The wand is retained by a circlip  (wire spring) You cannot fit a nut or the ebay wand with 3 hole tip

It was so close that I almost order it😱 Thank you!

11 hours ago, Michael87 said:

Yeah I'm wondering what the goal is here.

Michael87. I can made good foam now, but I hope with more holes try to get better foam.

Is there possible create foam like in caffee bar? I mean foam which is strong attached to the milk, when pushed foam with spoon it is not separate, and it looks greasy, more like yogurt then milk! And heavy?

Edited by Strumph
  • Like 1

Practice , practice , practice.   Get the air into the milk in the first few seconds, then lower the tip further into the milk to get the milk to swirl and incorporate the entrapped air.

Try with the wand tight against the side of the jug,  keep the jug very still.

• Like 1