IGNORED

Hello from Sheffield - 3 weeks and 3 machines!

Hi all from Sheffield.

I have been making espresso (or something that looks a bit like it) for a little over three weeks now and it's been a lovely rollercoaster ride.

I'd been making noises about getting an espresso machine for ages, so my lovely wife got me a Dualit Coffee System for my birthday. My mum, in cahoots, got me a Cuisinart grinder. Sadly the first Dualit stopped working very quickly, but John Lewis handed over a replacement without hesitation. I then got going pretty well - I found this forum, bought some beans from Pollards, our local merchant, and got a Krups non-pressurized basket, tamper, knock box, and so on. I then spent hours experimenting with grinds and tamp pressures, etc., and got a few cups of what I found to be pretty promising coffee. Then the Dualit started leaking water all over the worktop, so back it went for a refund.

For not much more I got a Gaggia Classic off the back of a number of comments on here, and it's been great. More non-pressurized baskets, and a new (bigger) tamper were ordered, and off I went! I've seen the Cusinart grinder get a bad write up in various places, but I found it to work pretty well for some of the beans I had, but others were less successful. I might see if I can modify it to grind finer, but I also got a Porlex hand grinder, which arrived this morning (on the bank holiday!). This afternoon I managed to pull some lovely thick shots which surpass anything else i've done so far, so it's onwards and upwards!

I am trying to resist the lure of immediate additional spend (naked PF, VST, new steam wand, new grinder!!!!) and concentrate on making best use of what I have for now! My wife didn't realise what she was letting herself in for ("I've created a monster!" she lamented the other day), but my little boy (3 1/2) has been enjoying his bambacinos....

Hope you don't mind the long post - just like to say thanks to all for the really useful advice and discussion rolling around in here,

Brad

Welcome Brad

That's exactly the spirit we love to see. Great first intro post and welcome to Coffee Forums UK

Hide the credit card, and only buy beans...

Shiny stuff won't make you a better barista, but trying new beans and experimenting with your current kit will.

Next purchase, a nice grinder, but the Porlex will see you through for a while

• 8 months later...

Im definitely interested in the non pressurised basket and the tamper to suit the Dualit machine - Im also thinking about moving on from my dualit, its a lovely little machine just dead annoying that it has little to no options for cheeky little upgrades.

Torn between a classic or a silvia, but I think im going to wait until I get a nice grinder first!