IGNORED

Londinium users, what DON’T you like?

3 minutes ago, Fez said:

Love how these comments have been ignored 😂

I should get someone else to post the questions, oh wait you just did it instead

• Like 1

doesn’t this look very familiar! Could have at least used your own words
Posted May 11, 2019

You can’t move round here for people raving about the Niche. But I’m interested in what people don’t like about it. I think I might need one, in as much as I’d like to try single dosing, and I’d appreciate being able to change the grind size easily, so I don’t think there are many options.

• Junglebert
    • 449 posts
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Fez said:

Love how these comments have been ignored 😂

What could I possibly say to those comments that would be useful?

They don't add any value to the discussion. It's far more interesting and productive for me to see the things people do and don't like about the Londinium. I like to help create new things, new ideas, stress test the old ideas....part of the hobby for me. I learn a lot from discussions about kit.

Someone once said discussions like this are healthy...a good thing. I think they may be right. :)

Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 1

Nothing here...

45 minutes ago, Fez said:
1 hour ago, PPapa said:

Or you know... you could create a thread about a machine that would compete against a machine another manufacturer is building. You also happen to have a relationship with such manufacturer. Then try and create problems that don’t exist but the other machine is going to address them anyway.

I’ll put my tinfoil hat on, it tends to regulate the thermal efficiency of my skull.

Sorry have I missed something is there another lever machine on the market ? 

I think temperature is a problem with most levers as the temperature is unknown at the puck. In all that I know off (apart from the Multi group Vostok), there is no way of selecting a target temperature for the coffee.

Do you mind elaborating on this? Yes, it’s not visible, but as long as it’s consistent from shot to shot, day to day, why does it matter? You make it sound like it’s a negative, but don’t explain why.

If you are swapping machines daily, then fair enough you want to eliminate this when changing from machine A to machine B. Most home users are married to their machines as they need to pay for their machines full price, so they’re stuck with them for years - probably good sign, for both environment and ourselves.

I personally don’t find need to tweak settings on a machine as playing with a grind and ratio can get you into a sweet spot. I am swapping bags all the time, so perhaps I would find it more relevant if I was stuck with the same bean and roast for longer.
  • Like 3
11 hours ago, DavecUK said:

..... I learn a lot from discussions about kit.

Someone once said discussions like this are healthy...a good thing. I think they may be right. :)

Take with a shovelful of salt from someone who responds to views different from his with ridicule and ad hominems. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Not wanting to discourage constructive discussion threads but being  sceptical by nature  is this thread designed principally to do market research for ACS or some other company ? - if it is then fine, but it should be declared in the first post as such then we could all happily post and comment knowing that we were possibly helping ACS design a better machine for us as potential future consumers.

Having kicked religion and politics into the long grass how about adding business or consultant tabs to members avatars - just an idea to improve the clarity of threads and opinions preventing suspicion and conflict

• Like 9
12 minutes ago, jimbojohn55 said:

Having kicked religion and politics into the long grass how about adding business or consultant tabs to members avatars - just an idea to improve the clarity of threads and opinions preventing suspicion and conflict

Absolutely this.

If you have skin in the game (as dave and other have) then declare it in your signature/tab.

Just remembered something I dislike - the little on/off switch gets pretty hot. When I go to turn the L-R off it makes me jump!, I whip my hand back and then catch the hot group!!! Going to see if a certain someone can turn me a little Thuya switch cover now I am thinking about it 😁 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
15 hours ago, coffeechap said:

doesn’t this look very familiar! Could have at least used your own words
Posted May 11, 2019

You can’t move round here for people raving about the Niche. But I’m interested in what people don’t like about it. I think I might need one, in as much as I’d like to try single dosing, and I’d appreciate being able to change the grind size easily, so I don’t think there are many options.

• Junglebert
    • 449 posts

LOL too funny 😂

Interesting posts, thanks to all who contributed, I wish more owners had but I'm sure they are busy enjoying their machines. Perhaps I should add a lever to my collection. I've had many chances over the years my biggest problem has actually been the lever bit itself and the requirement to be away from cupboards....I have thought of a few ways that this might be overcome.

I suppose I have got used to knowing what pressures and extraction temperatures I have and the comfort that I can turn a steam boiler off when I don't need it (which is most of the time) and just run on a smaller brew boiler. This thread has been really useful in knowing some things people believe might be improved and the ideas they have.  Even things that I would have thought insignificant....

Of course, it's all been within the paradigm of what's available now and for me the hobby has always been about what's possible...what can productively be done differently without adding loads of cost and can we be clever about using what's there. The obvious attraction for owners is clear and it shows that any development needs to really complement that, rather than remove it. The great thing is with such simple machines is that there is lots of opportunity to develop things and I think that it would be fun.

At least if I'm asked I will have a better understanding of what people like and don't like....I love learning because you never know when it will come in handy. I'm putting together a list of the key things I think could be usefully  developed in lever machines so, I won't forget.

• Like 1

Nothing here...