IGNORED

New Specialita questions

As a Newbie I am struggling to know where to start with a new Gaggia Classic and new Specialita grinder, there seem to be so many variables!

The grinder adjustment is marked with numbers but does the dial rotate more than once? If so the suggested scale isn’t much help.  

Does the motor need to be running while adjusting the grind and can I damage it by going too fine?

Does aiming for 18g of coffee in the filter with 36g of expresso in 30 seconds sound like a good starting point?

no idea how long a grind that would take!

So any advice would be appreciated 

@Geoff - This has come up a bit recently with the Eurekas. Some good suggestions on previous threads.

Needs adjusting with the motor running. You can lock the burrs and or damage the motor cranking it down finer without turning. Your starting dose/time sound reasonable.

Have a play around turning the dial by hand with no beans to hear a chirp, or unplug&switch off to turn the central nut by hand to do the same thing.

Buy 2kg of coffee and see how you go. Welcome to the rabbit hole 😉 

As a Newbie I am struggling to know where to start with a new Gaggia Classic and new Specialita grinder, there seem to be so many variables!
The grinder adjustment is marked with numbers but does the dial rotate more than once? If so the suggested scale isn’t much help.  
Does the motor need to be running while adjusting the grind and can I damage it by going too fine?
Does aiming for 18g of coffee in the filter with 36g of expresso in 30 seconds sound like a good starting point?

Tighten the adjusting knob till it stops. This should be about -0.5ish, then take it back to +1 and start there.
Don't have it turned on when doing this because the burrs will hit together. And no beans in it either.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

On 02/08/2020 at 21:17, Geoff said:

The std Gaggia baskets are 14g.

In my experience, that about max.

If you want 18g, you should use a 3rd party basket if you are not already.

@Blue_Cafe - Depends upon the coffee but a lot of people end up in the 16-17g range as the baskets are quite big for 14g. I had more repeatable results with that dose on most coffees with the stock Gaggia baskets.

Normally the 5p impression test works pretty well to check your headspace etc.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Northern_Monkey said:

@Blue_Cafe - Depends upon the coffee but a lot of people end up in the 16-17g range as the baskets are quite big for 14g. I had more repeatable results with that dose on most coffees with the stock Gaggia baskets.

Normally the 5p impression test works pretty well to check your headspace etc.

Aye, I started off with my Gaggia following the "Just fill the basket level" mantra but i was getting coffee sitting up against the shower screen.

Measuring the dose, it was 16-18g.  Doing the 5p test, my std baskets top out at 14-15g so i keep to that and if i don't remove the portafilter after the shot, my puck will swell against the shower screen.

14g means (for me anyways) that the shot time and grind setting is more sensitive and i have to be careful with tamp etc. That said, i am using 30% less coffee and i drink too much caffeine as it is :classic_wacko:

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Blue_Cafe said:

The std Gaggia baskets are 14g.

In my experience, that about max.

If you want 18g, you should use a 3rd party basket if you are not already.

Depends on bean density aswell. 
On my machine the same basket is 14.2g for a dark Brazilian and 17g for a lighter roasted decaf. Those are my two ends of the spectrum

• Like 1

Lots of great advice thanks and explains why trying to get 17g in the supplied Gaggia double basket left the grind hanging on the shower head aftetvthe shot.  Also noticed coffee almoast stops coming after about 15seconds

Any advice on what basket to get that would work with 17 or 18g?

Also what is the 5p test?

First attempt with my free Gaggia ground coffee however produced a much better expresso than my original De’Longhi and supermarket ground coffee so I must be making progress.

Next task is to get my Specialita  working

35 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Also what is the 5p test?

a tamped down basket should have about a 5p coins worth of space between it and the shower screen.  If not you need less coffee or a bigger basket.

weigh & grind your coffee, add to basket, tamp down, put a 5p coin on the top and put the portafilter in place.  Don't pull a coffee but take the PF out again.  Gently remove the 5p and you shouldn't have an indent in the coffee :)

• Thanks 2

Just re-read the Gaggia description of the 2019 Classic and it states that the pressurised basket is 14g and the non pressurised is 17g. Don’t know if this is different from earlier models

Also am I correct in thinking that the pressure in the 2019 models cannot be adjusted down from the factory setting, which is higher than desirable.

Tomorrow will experiment with 17g and the 5p test. This is either going to be a slow learning process or I need to chuck away quite a few shots as otherwise I will be in a permanent caffeine high.  I haven’t even started to play with the grinder, still in the ground coffee provided by Gaggia.

• 3 months later...
On 04/08/2020 at 21:41, Geoff said:

Just re-read the Gaggia description of the 2019 Classic and it states that the pressurised basket is 14g and the non pressurised is 17g. Don’t know if this is different from earlier models

Also am I correct in thinking that the pressure in the 2019 models cannot be adjusted down from the factory setting, which is higher than desirable.

Tomorrow will experiment with 17g and the 5p test. This is either going to be a slow learning process or I need to chuck away quite a few shots as otherwise I will be in a permanent caffeine high.  I haven’t even started to play with the grinder, still in the ground coffee provided by Gaggia.

Let us know how you get on. I’d be interested as I’m just trying to master the art. 

On 04/08/2020 at 21:41, Geoff said:

Pressure can be adjusted, but with springs

https://www.shadesofcoffee.co.uk/gaggia-classic-opv-spring-mod-kit---standard-version-just-springs

If you're adjusting the grind coarser, it's ok as you are moving the burrs apart.
If going finer then do it running. I forgot and it locked the burrs

When I first got mine I would single dose as I was all over the place between learning the machine and grinder.

Now I single dose with new beans till I'm close and then fill the hope about quarter full and use the timers

2 hours ago, bargi said:

If you're adjusting the grind coarser, it's ok as you are moving the burrs apart.
If going finer then do it running. I forgot and it locked the burrs https://emoji.tapatalk-cdn.com/emoji2.png

When I first got mine I would single dose as I was all over the place between learning the machine and grinder.

Now I single dose with new beans till I'm close and then fill the hope about quarter full and use the timers

thanks. still confused. earlier you said 

"Tighten the adjusting knob till it stops. This should be about -0.5ish, then take it back to +1 and start there.
Don't have it turned on when doing this because the burrs will hit together. And no beans in it either." 

and above for finer "do it running"

Only just got the bloody thing and don't want to wreck it !

2 minutes ago, stingray said:

"Tighten the adjusting knob till it stops. This should be about -0.5ish, then take it back to +1 and start there.
Don't have it turned on when doing this because the burrs will hit together. And no beans in it either." 

I have the Specialita.  The advice quoted is to find the point where the burrs are touching which gives you a starting point.  With it unplugged and the hopper removed by hand turn the burrs until you hear them touching.  (This may change as the burrs run in).  This gives you the true “zero” and you then know the point you don’t want to go past with the motor running.  My grinder is similar as the burrs touch at -0.5.  Between the zero and 5

Then turn the knob anti-clockwise until about the 1 marker.  This is a good starting point for espresso.  I grind most of mine between the 1 and 0

i know it’s not advised but small adjustments finer I do make with the grinder off no more than 2mm or it will choke the grinder   I do this straight after a shot so I don’t forget

Make adjustments slowly and if the burrs touch you will hear them as soon as it happens and know to back off 

No expert but I ran the machine (as if it was going to grind beans) with the dregs of a dose and took it back (finer) to just hear the burrs 'chirp' so they are just touching and then turned it to coarser so they weren't touching. This kind of gave me a 0 or start point. This was way too fine for my gaggia and choked it. I can't remember how much I turned it back from there.

I have it running with and without beans when adjusting finer. Coarser doesn't matter as you are giving the beans more room!

Once you get in the ball pack it is a really fine adjustment and the grinder lets you do that which makes it so good but as a beginner it makes it frustrating because you just want a number to set it to.

Right yes, ok. So different situations.

1. Initial setup/finding a starting point/finding finest setting = no beans and either running and tighten/finer till it chirps and back off or what I said initially. Both are the same just running or not (Personally I don't like chirping the burrs, but others say its ok)

2. Learning grinder settings/Early days = weigh before and single dose so you're wasting less and it's one less thing to worry about when learning.

(Also, personally I hate wasting even a gram and running the grinder to adjust and then let it run longer to purge does my head in )

Lots of people say Specialitta works best with the hopper at least a quarter full, others say single dosing it is fine. Personally I think it's a good enough single doser to learn on and get you in the ball park. Once you're at the point where you slightly adjust each day to two as the beans get older then load up the hopper.

3. Adjusting finer with a full hopper = gotta have it running or good chance it'll lock up

Gawd... hope that helps and doesn't confuse

• Like 1

thanks for advice. Just getting to grips with it, long learning curve. Wish Eureka would bother to produce a proper manual, the one included should be dispatched immediately into the recycling bin as it attempts to cover four different machines with one diagram! No one in Eureka even bother to get a native English speaker to proof the text either, another pet hate of mine too. Learnt far more from youtube videos and here.  

• Like 1