Mrboots2u

POLL END OFF TOPIC THREADS.

End off topic threads   

47 members have voted

1. 1. Ger rid of off topic

• Yes
    • No

The world and the internet is a hard enough place to be as it is.

This used to be a space where I could enjoy some escapism, but for me it isn’t, perhaps I am on my own , perhaps i am not. 

Hence this poll , the off topic boards seem to be just be divisive and date i say it toxic currently . IMHO 

Let’s end them and have a coffee forum for coffee chat. 

Everyone Is entitled to there political and personal Opionion but perhaps  a coffee forum isn’t the place for these debates or for them to be aired.

Edited by Mrboots2u
  • Like 11

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Where are all these divisive discussions? I don't see them, and, as a relative newcomer I've been traveling a lot of the forums. Just curious that's all ...

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Trump v Biden, Starmer taking a Knee, BBC license  fee, all end up left versus right mud slinging, Brexit and leave nonsense. 

Edited by Mrboots2u

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

If you want to moderate Boots......I cannot stand people who want to influence things just because their won feelings differ to others.....this bloody cancel culture

• Like 3

But where? I'm not seeing this type of discussion in any of the subforums I visit. If I did I would tend to agree and wonder whether there were any moderators on the forum.

Let’s end them and have a coffee forum for coffee chat. 

Does that include these forum areas too?

https://coffeeforums.co.uk/forum/42-the-tea-room/

https://coffeeforums.co.uk/forum/59-baking-and-brewing/

After all I am not interested in these areas at all, nothing to do with coffee and although I don't read anything posted in them, they need to be removed because I am not interested in them...

P.S. The ignore areas, ignore thread function would be great to have back wouldn't it.

Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 5

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

In an off topic forum, within normal rules you can discuss anything you want. Boots objects because his own personal belief is there should only be discussion about coffee. Sometimes the discussions become fractious, because left opposes right and vice versa, and instead of having grown up debate it sometimes descxends into the blame, cancel culture that exists

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Which subforums exist for these offtopic divisive posts, I'm just not seeing any in the forum's I visit. If it's the case that there aren't any then I tend towards mrboots way of thinking. Otherwise set a suitable 'discussion' subforum up. I'm tending not to want to see anything but coffee chat in a coffee forum. But, as I said I ain't seeing any so I've not got a problem. Yet.

Maybe we should take a page out of Mensa's book.

...They had the idea of forming a society for bright people, the only qualification for membership of which was a high IQ. The original aims were, as they are today, to create a society that is non-political and free from all racial or religious distinctions.

The society's official objectives are:

• to provide a stimulating intellectual and social environment for its members
  • to identify and foster human intelligence for the benefit of humanity
  • to encourage research into the nature, characteristics, and uses of intelligence

Just without the high IQ part.

All of these political threads aren't stimulating, they're stupefying. This place is scientific in discussion of how to make good coffee, but when it comes to discussing politics that approach seems to go out the window. Discussions are little more than propaganda and rhetoric. I'm yet to see people define the things they are so strongly against. E.G "the woke liberal" -- What is it? Is it a person or a mass of people? What are their individual goals and desires, what motivates them? What are their beliefs? How do they behave? How would one describe themselves and how would you describe them? If you can't define what you are against how can you be against it. And if your definition doesn't resemble a real living person with known human characteristics, do you think your definition is accurate?

This hasn't happened here as far as I know but youtube/facebook/twitter right now is riddled with conspiracy theories. They all follow the same pattern. Dead cats, boiling frogs, and an analysis exemplifying the Dunning-Kruger effect, or some mix of those things. They go something like this:

"Bill gates is trying to control everyone! --- Dead Cats: Bill Gates' father was a eugenicist. Did you know Bill Gates tried to cut his brother out of his company? He's a terrible person! | Boiling Frogs: Right now everyone believes what the government and mass media are telling them, but what they don't know is they're all in Bill Gates' pocket. The population will put masks on to come out of lockdown and then it's only a matter of time until they take a vaccine so they don't have to wear masks any more. But this vaccine will contain a microchip that the government can use to track your every move! They'll soon start giving you 'social credits', deciding where you can go, where you can live, what job you can have, even what you are allowed to buy! | Dunning-Kruger: The figures don't add up! [I'm not a statistician] They don't make any sense! The number of excess deaths can be accounted for because of the baby boom generation! The deaths from covid are massively exaggerated, they're reporting deaths from any cause as COVID related even if somebody got hit by a car! [in a way that is statistically significant?]" 

or

"The second wave is a myth -- Dunning Kruger: Actually if you do more testing you find more cases, so the rate of infection isn't actually going up, it's just that we're doing more testing. Therefore the second wave is a myth...[even though the rate of infection takes this into account and scientists are aware of potential errors in data] | Boiling Frogs: The masks aren't necessary. They're actually a form of mind control designed to condition you to accept a vaccine when one comes. | Dead Cats: Think of the time you won't get back because of lockdown. These are important years of your life and there's nothing that can undo this. You can undo financial loss, but you can't get back the time you're losing so Wake up!..."

Those are two real examples, believe it or not, and they are believed by a lot of people. There are seeds of truth in there that get blown out of proportion or associated with make believe. 

The point I'm making is if you allow all discussion where do you draw the line? Do we let conspiracy theory threads pop up in the "off topic" section and say, yeah that's in the right section it's fine, or do we say "maybe this type of discussion isn't appropriate for this forum"?

P.S Please don't answer any of the questions above or discuss any of this here. That's not the point of the thread...well aside from the last one.

Edited by Rob1
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

ACS Minima (Beta) with Bianca Paddle -- Reskinned Ceado E8, Niche Zero --- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

WATER CALCULATOR

I see both sides of this. I dislike politics because by nature it tends to be divisive, but stamping it out is worse IMO. Shutting down debate will not end well for society as a whole and as such I disagree with cancel culture. I've read a couple of the threads in question and whilst they start off interesting, when it starts getting personal I feel like we've lost the spirit of the forum we had. Personally I only really come here to read about coffee, but I do enjoy some of the off topic light hearted stuff, like the funnies thread, or the other obsessions we're prone to (shaving, kitchen knives, hifi, photography etc) and there are some lovely bits about pets, cooking, and photography, including Martin's own excellent work. I just navigate away from anything that's likely to bring me down these days, but I'm not into cancelling. Live and let live works for me in an increasingly polarised if not binary world.

___
Eat, drink and be merry

• Like 5

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

If you want half a forum, in fact less than that, then no more off topic.

Originally a place where like minded folks published their own views  and their own guides and help for others, the vibe changed when taken over by non coffee people. As a result I feel I see members drifting away or at the very least just not partaking as much as before.

I propose that Off Topic is a goodly proportion of traffic now that there are fewer coffee posts and some of those that remain could live in Coffee Lounge quite easily.

The only part about the proposal that fits with me is that somehow I get the impression that "leftist" views still try to hold the high ground and are rarely moderated like posts that are at all right wing in other words those "divisive" posts often serve to remind certain folks that elements of "the modern way" are offensive to a proportion of the readership

Rewriting history whether it be statues in UK or the Chinese saying Tiananmen Square did not happen is something that perhaps still needs a place for open discussion and where better than among otherwise like minded people on here

Edited by grumpydaddy
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Rob1 said:

Maybe we should take a page out of Mensa's book.

Just without the high IQ part.

Otherwise, we would have no members left ... ;)

Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

31 minutes ago, grumpydaddy said:

If you want half a forum, in fact less than that, then no more off topic.

Originally a place where like minded folks published their own views  and their own guides and help for others, the vibe changed when taken over by non coffee people. As a result I feel I see members drifting away or at the very least just not partaking as much as before.

I propose that Off Topic is a goodly proportion of traffic now that there are fewer coffee posts and some of those that remain could live in Coffee Lounge quite easily.

The only part about the proposal that fits with me is that somehow I get the impression that "leftist" views still try to hold the high ground and are rarely moderated like posts that are at all right wing in other words those "divisive" posts often serve to remind certain folks that elements of "the modern way" are offensive to a proportion of the readership

Rewriting history whether it be statues in UK or the Chinese saying Tiananmen Square did not happen is something that perhaps still needs a place for open discussion and where better than among otherwise like minded people on here

Are there a lot of leftist views in the, non-off topic, coffee forums?

Define "high ground"?

Off topic is nowhere near half the forum.

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

This thread is so wrong for so many reasons that I have given up articulating a reasonable answer to it.

However, I will say this; I don't think it wouldn't do any harm for some members to revisit the front page and read the rules.

Edited by Blue_Cafe

Luckily im not educated enough to understand half the big words on here, so im lucky in that respect. 

Easiest way, dont like it dont comment. Start a coffee thread. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Cuprajake said:

Luckily im not educated enough to understand half the big words on here, so im lucky in that respect. 

Easiest way, dont like it dont comment. Start a coffee thread. 

Yur puntuashun is rubish. Plz leaf the forum imediateley.

:classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Cuprajake said:

That bit wasn't a joke 😬

Oh, I am thick as 🐖 as well. 

It's a source of constant ire to the forum Einstein's but I will persevere regardless :)

Did I miss the bit in the rules where every member must read and comment on every thread then 😉

no one is forcing you to read it 😘

Don’t read on if you voted yes 🤪

im an admin on Facebook group with 18k+ members and hundreds of daily posts it’s an owners page for a specific type of motorised vehicle from one specific manufacturer, conversations meander and evolve,some die, some run on and on.....

I have had complaints from leftists, rightists, homophobes, homosexuals, Mexicans and everyone in between.... 🤔 I have been sworn at by message, had people block me (can’t block an admin 🤫) for pointing they were factually wrong and then proving it.....

deleted countless fake news items, political arguments, personal insults, jealous rants, trolls and just stupid people who don’t seem to understand the way the internet works...... 

I don’t get paid no one forces me do it, I don’t understand most of the butt hurts report as “breaching the rules” and I approve 20+ members a day......

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Blue_Cafe said:

However, I will say this; I don't think it wouldn't do any harm for some members to revisit the front page and read the rules.

10 minutes ago, Blue_Cafe said:

Yur puntuashun is rubish. Plz leaf the forum imediateley.

:classic_laugh:

I concur (that means agree). However your use of a double negative gave me a headache!

Disclaimer: Tounge in cheek... Just banter... not intended to be offensive.... 
No colour discrimination intended etc

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Manic Obsession"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expobar Brewtus DB, Mazzer SJ, Sowden, V60, Aeropress and all sorts

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently enjoying LSOL

I'm still not seeing any if this so my 'coffee only' filters must be working. I still see no reason for off topic posts though many do and are tolerated. Once I bump into a couple if these so called divisive posts I will drift ever so slightly in another forums direction. So far, so good for me but I've not been here long enough to know what is off topic or not

7 minutes ago, HDAV said:

Did I miss the bit in the rules where every member must read and comment on every thread then 😉

no one is forcing you to read it 😘

Don’t read on if you voted yes 🤪

im an admin on Facebook group with 18k+ members and hundreds of daily posts it’s an owners page for a specific type of motorised vehicle from one specific manufacturer, conversations meander and evolve,some die, some run on and on.....

I have had complaints from leftists, rightists, homophobes, homosexuals, Mexicans and everyone in between.... 🤔 I have been sworn at by message, had people block me (can’t block an admin 🤫) for pointing they were factually wrong and then proving it.....

deleted countless fake news items, political arguments, personal insults, jealous rants, trolls and just stupid people who don’t seem to understand the way the internet works...... 

I don’t get paid no one forces me do it, I don’t understand most of the butt hurts report as “breaching the rules” and I approve 20+ members a day......

Great post.

Love politics, I’m an active trade union steward at work and have been a member of one particular political party on and off over the years.

I absolutely hate the political threads on here. They generate no useful discussion or debate. They’re often posted as a prodding tool and people get shirty and defensive when someone offers an opposing view. They’re vile to be honest, I’d love to see them gone.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

DE1+, Monolith conical

It’s a COFFEE FORUM.

IF I WANT POLITICAL DEBATE THERE  ARE PLENTY OF SITES FOR THIS AND TO BE HONEST THEY OFTEN JUST GET NASTY.

LETS TRY TO  KEEP TO THE WORLD OF COFFEE AND ALL IT ENTAILS. Thanks 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2