caipiao

Best Nespresso compatible capsules / pods?

Saw a post on least bad Nespresso compatible pods so wanted to see if there are actually good (or better) Nespresso compatible capsules / pods out there? Have used the Nespresso ones mostly... 

Which one did you like from Nespresso?

For brighter coffee, I enjoyed some Rwandan pods from Roastworks. Otherwise, compatibles for me have been very disappointing.

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Posted (edited)

An Italian friend uses Cru Kafe (apparently you can get them in Waitrose) and has been happy with the Colombian over the Nespresso options but Rave and Origin do some as well - been happy with both rave & origin's beans but can't vouch for their pods i'm afraid. 

Edited by siliconslave

Which one did you like from Nespresso?
For brighter coffee, I enjoyed some Rwandan pods from Roastworks. Otherwise, compatibles for me have been very disappointing.

Ristretto, Roma a distant second.

Also had very good experience with Master Origin Ethiopia when they had that.

An Italian friend uses Cru Kafe (apparently you can get them in Waitrose) and has been happy with the Colombian over the Nespresso options but Rave and Origin do some as well - been happy with both rave & origin's beans but can't vouch for their pods i'm afraid. 

Cheers - will check that out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, caipiao said:

Ristretto, Roma a distant second.

Also had very good experience with Master Origin Ethiopia when they had that.

Not sure I can help with recommendations, I struggle to drink most of 5 or above, I don't mind the Nicaraguan & Colombian master origins, used to like Rosabaya, don't mind Volluto.

Not sure I can help with recommendations, I struggle to drink most of 5 or above, I don't mind the Nicaraguan & Colombian master origins, used to like Rosabaya, don't mind Volluto.

No worries - Thanks ready!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought somebody a selection pack of the pods from Volcano as a gift once, they then bought some more for themselves after they ran out... I've not tried the capsules myself though so can't really comment

https://jazzcoffeestuff.com/

Current Favoured Roasters:
UK: Assembly (London), Round Hill (Bath), PLOT (London)
Else: Gardelli (Italy), Drop (Sweden), Morgon (Sweden), Five Elephant (Germany), Kaffa (Norway)

I bought somebody a selection pack of the pods from Volcano as a gift once, they then bought some more for themselves after they ran out... I've not tried the capsules myself though so can't really comment

Interesting brand. Will try them!

Colonna do a decent range of pods, I think they usually have six different pods on offer - a long (60 or 80g output, cant remember) and a short pod with intended 25g espresso output.

They are certainly the closest thing to decent coffee I have had from a pod machine.

2012 Gaggia Classic with PID, Eureka Specialita, 15/18/22g VST Baskets.

Colonna do a decent range of pods, I think they usually have six different pods on offer - a long (60 or 80g output, cant remember) and a short pod with intended 25g espresso output.
They are certainly the closest thing to decent coffee I have had from a pod machine.

Pretty decent website - although these days most websites look interesting with Squarespace etc.

Will be getting some to try!

7 minutes ago, caipiao said:

Pretty decent website - although these days most websites look interesting with Squarespace etc.

Will be getting some to try!

They are a good roaster and are well known, particularly in Bath where they have a shop. The pods are typically very light roast in line with their wholebean offerings. Let me know how you find them 

Edited by gm031193

2012 Gaggia Classic with PID, Eureka Specialita, 15/18/22g VST Baskets.

1 hour ago, gm031193 said:

They are a good roaster and are well known, particularly in Bath where they have a shop. The pods are typically very light roast in line with their wholebean offerings. Let me know how you find them 

They don't roast particularly light.

I bought a Nespresso specifically to try specialty capsules, Colonna & Volcano were the first I tried, I genuinely don't believe they have sufficient technology to make them work. I didn't finish the packs i got from either roaster.

47 minutes ago, MWJB said:

They don't roast particularly light.

I bought a Nespresso specifically to try specialty capsules, Colonna & Volcano were the first I tried, I genuinely don't believe they have sufficient technology to make them work. I didn't finish the packs i got from either roaster.

Hi Mark. This has piqued my interest. Why do you think Colonna & Volcano don’t have sufficient tech? Is it to do with the size and/ or type of grinder needed for getting high extractions from the Nespresso system or something else?

Thanks

AJP80

2 minutes ago, AndyJP80 said:

Hi Mark. This has piqued my interest. Why do you think Colonna & Volcano don’t have sufficient tech? Is it to do with the size and/ or type of grinder needed for getting high extractions from the Nespresso system or something else?

Thanks

AJP80

I have no idea, but I wouldn't assume that Nespresso extractions are necessarily higher....they can be, but I have also had master origin Nespresso pods that were 19-20%EY at 40g, and only a % or so higher at 80g.

I just found that origin character was not detectable from one to the next & the output didn't taste like any representative coffee I had ever had before (pithy).

Capsules from other compatible manufacturers (Cru Kafe, Roastworks, L'Or), nor the Nespresso capsules I can drink, don't have this issue. I don't mean that I like L'Or/Nespresso capsules, generally too dark for me, but an objective fault isn't obvious. I did enjoy some Cru Kafe capsules but found they left the machine silty.

Thanks Mark. I’ve a Nespresso machine and have always appreciated the taste/ flavour profile of some of their less intense offerings (4 and below and the odd 5 and 6) particularly some of the origins series. Unfortunately, given the choice between a pour over and Nespresso, pour over wins every time, so the machine sits unused in a corner.
I wonder if there is a market for larger Nespresso pods say with a 15g dose for a more full bodied pour over experience from a capsule. Perhaps the tech won’t work at those sorts of doses.

Edited by AndyJP80
  • Like 1

I’ve just checked. It was the Cosi and Master Origin Ethiopia that I always found worthwhile. Given the small doses (5g, I think), I found they just couldn’t match or even come close to say a V60 for sweetness and flavour.

I like the Colonna capsules, as a dim second best to Real Coffee but convenient for my desk at work;  Volcano I found nasty despite high hopes; roast works Espresso and Sumatra I liked as better darker roasts

The opal machine that colonna stock gives you rudimentary temperature control which, with a little temp surfing, does make a difference.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, AndyJP80 said:

I’ve just checked. It was the Cosi and Master Origin Ethiopia that I always found worthwhile. Given the small doses (5g, I think), I found they just couldn’t match or even come close to say a V60 for sweetness and flavour.

They hold up to 6.5g, I've never seen one that was 5g (weigh some, the capsule itself weighs 1.1g), dose makes little difference to how efficiently/repeatably you brew the coffee, it just affects drink size & strength. Let's say I drink my filter coffee at 1:12/13 in the cup, that limits a filter strength Nespresso to around 75g.

I doubt they roast light/specifically enough to make a good V60 (never tried) as they're not intending you to do so/targeting higher quality filter market (who should know how to brew their coffee, if using a V60). I bought my Nespresso in the hope of sharing better coffee with friends & family, who already have the machine, to show them what is possible with great coffee. It's been an uphill struggle.

I have bought "filter" roasted specialty coffee that was worse than Nespresso,

• Like 1

I was pretty impressed with a nespresso machine I used when I was on holiday. I wasn't expecting much at all but it delivered the tasting notes they were supposed to have. Would never call it espresso though, it's pod coffee to me. From such  small dose  think I got about 60-70g in 25 seconds (didn't have scales to measure so just ran the machine for a set time). A very expensive way to brew coffee but allows you to get away without a grinder.

ACS Minima (Beta) with Bianca Paddle -- Reskinned Ceado E8, Niche Zero --- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

WATER CALCULATOR

17 hours ago, MWJB said:

They hold up to 6.5g, I've never seen one that was 5g (weigh some, the capsule itself weighs 1.1g), dose makes little difference to how efficiently/repeatably you brew the coffee, it just affects drink size & strength. Let's say I drink my filter coffee at 1:12/13 in the cup, that limits a filter strength Nespresso to around 75g.

I doubt they roast light/specifically enough to make a good V60 (never tried) as they're not intending you to do so/targeting higher quality filter market (who should know how to brew their coffee, if using a V60). I bought my Nespresso in the hope of sharing better coffee with friends & family, who already have the machine, to show them what is possible with great coffee. It's been an uphill struggle.

I have bought "filter" roasted specialty coffee that was worse than Nespresso,

Nespresso indeed is for convenience, sharing with friends / family. Also office has one (when we were still working from there) so easier to get the same thing versus home as well. I do agree that it has not been easy to find great capsules and perhaps indeed limited by technology and/or form factor. I like Ristretto / Ethiopia from Nespresso but that's really about it, hence the question to see if anyone has other recommendations.