Sign in to follow this  
Strange-Steve

Help me not to waste these beans!

A friend of mine was given a small bag of kopi luwak beans for his anniversary and although he's not exactly a coffee connoisseur he knows that they'd be wasted in his bean-to-cup machine. So he has suggested that he bring them to my house and we share a couple of cups from my grinder and machine. 

Now I'm very new to this also, I've only had my Mignon Specialita and Gaggia Classic for about a month now and am still getting to grips with them and it takes me several shots with a new bean to get a good shot.

So can anyone give me some idea how best to use these beans without wasting the whole bag dialing them in? I also have a French press and Moka pot if they'd be any better? 

If you're not keen on trying to dial in with espresso, and you have <250g then I would say go with a filter method like French press. Use Hasbean's method, or James Hoffman's. Don't use the standard plunge method that everybody uses until they know better.

Your taste may vary, but many on here would tell you that they're nothing to write home about. I'm not sure what flavour you would expect out of them. It will, I suppose, depend in part how fresh they are.

Good luck!

Decent DE1XL ++ Niche Zero ++ Aeropress ++ V60

Coffee by the Casuals

Thanks for the reply. Tbh I wouldn't have be in a great hurry to try these beans personally but since I'm getting to do so for free I can't complain. 

I'm not sure exactly how much he has but I suspect it's only 100g and I'd get through most of that trying to get a drinkable shot, so I think you're right that French press is maybe the way to go.