Randleog

Naked Portafilter Fail

I decided to take things to the next level: refurbed and overhauled one of my  Gaggia Classics, set the OPV to 9 Bar with a portafilter guage, purchased a classy 'naked portafilter' so that I could watch the delicious rich crema curl into the the shot cup, ground my beans to the finest setting on my Cuisinart (cheap) burr grinder and it produced a fine grind that had the consistency of salt.

Despite all this, the coffee sprayed everywhere. The shot worked it's way through in about 10 seconds with very little crema. It was so poor, I'm going back to the pressurised basket and crema pin until I can work out what's going on.

Any suggestions?

Will second that.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

You need a grinder 3th time

CFBG Team

Buying expensive equipment won't make you barista!

Posted (edited)

You need a good grinder, the key for making espresso. You can have the best machine in the world. If the coffee is not ground right.... forget it.

so, for the 5th time, 😉 you need a good grinder. 👍

Edited by MediumRoastSteam

Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets

5 hours ago, Randleog said:

.......a fine grind that had the consistency of salt......

Rock salt? Road salt?

See above re grinder - you might be able to mod/fix/tune yours but..... well swap one of your classics for an SJ or something 

• Like 1

There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Manic Obsession"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stuff......

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently enjoying LSOL

At the risk of overstating the point, I concur with my esteemed colleagues, you need a decent grinder.

Sage Barista Express.

You might want to upgrade your grinder. Sorry couldn’t resist

DE1+, Monolith conical

BREAKING NEWS:

First piece of unanimous advice on CFUK issued.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

ACS Minima (Beta) with Bianca Paddle -- Reskinned Ceado E8, Niche Zero --- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

WATER CALCULATOR

19 minutes ago, Rob1 said:

BREAKING NEWS:

First piece of unanimous advice on CFUK issued.

Amazing! Let's lock the thread, archive it and it can ascend into CFUK folklore.

Decades from now I'll be able to say to my grandchildren, 'I was there'....

• Like 1

Sage Barista Express.

8 hours ago, Drewster said:

Rock salt? Road salt?

See above re grinder - you might be able to mod/fix/tune yours but..... well swap one of your classics for an SJ or something 

Why so Salty? 😄

In answer to the OP's dilemma;

Using unpressurized baskets is a whole different ball game than using pressurised baskets.

You would do well to read up about the difference between the two.

Posted (edited)

'Using pressurised baskets is a whole different ball game than using pressurised baskets.' Yep, I'd already begun to realise that Blue_Cafe. I'm still getting up to speed on the some of the issues, such as grinder quality, and suspected as much when I wrote the original post and realised the likely culprit was my 'cheap' grinder. I wanted someone to confirm it.  Meanwhile I have been watching reviews!

To that end, I'm looking at the Sage (Breville) Smart Grinder Pro which seems to be the minimum quality level that will allow me to set the grind size to hit the 20-30 second shot time. The other one I'm thinking of is the Rancilio Rocky.

Thanks to all for the helpful comments. Any ideas on this folks?

Edited by Randleog

40 minutes ago, Randleog said:

'Using pressurised baskets is a whole different ball game than using pressurised baskets.' Yep, I'd already begun to realise that Blue_Cafe. I'm still getting up to speed on the some of the issues, such as grinder quality, and suspected as much when I wrote the original post and realised the likely culprit was my 'cheap' grinder. I wanted someone to confirm it.  Meanwhile I have been watching reviews!

To that end, I'm looking at the Sage (Breville) Smart Grinder Pro which seems to be the minimum quality level that will allow me to set the grind size to hit the 20-30 second shot time. The other one I'm thinking of is the Rancilio Rocky.

Thanks to all for the helpful comments. Any ideas on this folks?

Rancilio Rocky was a grinder considered good 15 years ago. Not sure about the Sgp, but I’d rather stick to more reliable things like... Eureka Mignon as an entry point grinder. If you get one second hand, you can’t go wrong with the Gaggia Classic.

Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Randleog said:

Both bad choices. As above a Eureka Mignon is the minimum for good coffee. I always recommend a second hand ex-commercial as starter as they aren't going to lose a lot of value and will deliver a better grind than anything else for the money. I might be wrong in thinking the Sage smart grinder is similar to the Iberital MC2 in grind quality (but with a better adjustment mechanism) but a lot of people struggle with it. Slowing the shot down isn't the only concern, it's grinding consistently without lots of fines.  

If you've got the space there's a Mazzer Royal in the for sale section for a £350 asking price.  

Edited by Rob1

ACS Minima (Beta) with Bianca Paddle -- Reskinned Ceado E8, Niche Zero --- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

WATER CALCULATOR

Thanks all for all the advice. I've decided on a Eureka Mignon Speicialita, having binned the alternative of a Baritza Sette 270 which appears to have reliability issues.

Is there anything else I should be thinking about at this point?