IGNORED

Sandbox Smart

Adam I

The roasts are far too fast, so they are almost certainly not cracking. The temperature is read from a probe, so bean temperature will lag behind...especially with a lot of heat rapidly applied. you need to slow it all down and look for 1st in about 10-12 minutes.

• Thanks 1

CFUK, the biggest, best and most friendly forum in the UK...with a wealth of knowledge among its many members.

@Mark T - There's no reason those profiles shouldn't work... Providing you have picked up the right voltage! :D

image.png.df7b5a1689c2d0bb7669a7d9633dbdba.png

It seems you have chosen 110V? You need to choose 220V. 

Make sure you have set up your sandbox smart correctly, to the right voltage, otherwise you will wear out the heating elements in no time. 

This would also explain why your temperature was maxing out. 

Of course, I'm assuming you are in the UK/Europe.

Edited by MediumRoastSteam

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

@MediumRoastSteamI’m actually am in the US now (moved from UK a few years ago).

@DavecUKThanks, that makes sense (I wondered if the temperature was measuring the bean). The Sandbox does seems to error out when the probe measures 220c - that’s the reason why i started hitting First Crack at 200c or 210c despite not hearing it.

I’ll try modifying the official sandbox profiles to reduce power for the Peaberry and hopefully that will manage the bean temperature lag while keeping roaster temp below 220c.

Thanks for the advice :)

• Like 1

@Mark T - Oh! That's a relief! :D

I had a brief experience with the Sandbox smart, and I never managed to hit such a high temperature (usually first crack + 1 minute). The highest temperature it ever hit was around 207C after FC. 

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

That’s what I had…

@Mark T - PM me your email you used for the sandbox and I can share the profile with you if you wish. 😉👍

1C3B6EE3-6705-410C-89FA-AA79F2DFD992.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@MediumRoastSteam

Thanks very much, will do!

I’m also waiting for some new non-Peaberry beans to arrive, I suspect my challenges are because of the smaller than normal size of the Peaberry - certainly it doesn’t seem to work well with the official profiles unaltered. But regardless would love to find the right profile for it.

Edited by Mark T
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hello everyone! I am a fan of specialty coffee brewed in all possible ways from Italy (Sorry for english I use the Google trad lol), I came across this topic looking for information on this roaster that I have bought and have.

I have already done some roasts to understand the behavior of this machine, I always try to make clear profiles for filter (Nordic style) and clear / medium for espresso.

Recently, the day before yesterday to be exact, I made this Colombia Natural

100 g

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I tries to use Scort's Rao advice Reading his book (aggressive Heat at beginning and decling RoR and dtr %).

I'm still experimenting (my adventure on home roasting Is Just begin) I have to try this cup of coffee (the First roast that I made were no so good and I used for cold Brew and cocktails) 🤣

Unfortunately I don't know anyone here who has the same roaster as me and I would like to share the experience of use with other people 😁

And thanks to Dave for his rewiev that convinced me to buy 😁

Edited by Onemoredrink

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Onemoredrink said:

Unfortunately I don't know anyone here who has the same roaster as me

Benvenuto!  🙂 

@Mark T has one (post above yours) and if memory serves me right there are a couple of other people in this forum who have one too. Also @Artie and @Sixty9. 🙂 

Edited by MediumRoastSteam

17 minutes ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

Benvenuto!  🙂 

@Mark T has one (post above yours) and if memory serves me right there are a couple of other people in this forum who have one too. Also @Artie and @Sixty9. 🙂 

Thank you 😁

I'm curious to see the roasting profiles and opinions on the best approach with this machine, for now I'm Happy with the usage experience but I Need much practice 😬

@Onemoredrink Welcome aboard...you would be better just to post the links without the BB tags...which don't work on this forum.

CFUK, the biggest, best and most friendly forum in the UK...with a wealth of knowledge among its many members.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so disappointed.

From 100 g official to 150 g.

Also on the software side, practically series A customers (who buys new machine) and series B (who has the old one).

Just bought the black model last month, if I knew I was waiting to buy it 😕

Edited by Onemoredrink

@Onemoredrink - I don’t understand your post. Has anything change on the product or software since you bought it? The video is just advertisement? 

3 minutes ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

@Onemoredrink - I don’t understand your post. Has anything change on the product or software since you bought it? The video is just advertisement? 

Sorry I forgot to paste the link on Kickstarterhttp://kck.st/3i5SBgQ

For hardware update, we had design updated to our power related circuits which we are successfully to improve our power performance by 15%! Also due to this change, we are willing to enlarge the roasting amount by 50% from the original limitation of 100g to 150g. 

"

For software and APP related updates, we have chosen 3 most wanted features that will help our user to explore more during their own coffee roasting journey. 

150g official roasting profiles

Roasting history data comparison

Roasting history data output "

Edited by Onemoredrink

Some days ago, I had already seen their warning of a blue model on Kickstarter and had written to Sandbox support to find out what was changing.

Only the color ...  Not accurate 😕

Screenshot_20210714-152506~2.png

8139ca9cb9aa86bd2e0fa89fa14ce50d_original.png

Edited by Onemoredrink

• 2 months later...

Just thought I would add to this section. I've just bought a Sandbox Smart and Bella Barista kindly provided a 1 Kilo pack of  Espirito Santos Camocin organic green beans with the machine. Wow they are lovely, I did them on the slow medium roast setting and after grinding them at 9 on the Niche grinder they made a really, really nice cup of coffee not only do they smell nice throughout the process the taste has me hooked. I shall be buying more and trying one or two others in their range. For the record I'm new to all this so don't necessarily take my word as gospel as I only have very little experience in this section of the coffee makers world.

• Like 2

I'm a week or so into my Sandbox Smart roaster and just thought I'd share my findings with anyone who may be interested.

3 different green beans have been roasted to date, all are on the Slow medium roast 100g per time.

Espirit Santos from Balle Barista that came with the machine, superb smooth coffee with a wonderful taste.

San Patricio El Limon from Hasbean, superb smooth coffee same lovely texture and taste as Espirito Santo.

Jailbreak from Hasbean, okay but nothing near as smooth as the two above.

All ground on 9 on the Niche, 18g in the Portafilter same temperature and 9 bar on the Pavoni.

I would add I like milk in my coffee all heated to 65 and full fat.

I may well try them as black coffee.

• Like 1

@B1RMA - the sandbox smart, as far as small roasters go, is really good. I had the opportunity to roast on one for a couple of months, and, despite the niggles (handling a hot cylinder with gloves after pre-warm up, roasting through the app exclusively etc) produces an amazing roast in comparison to a Gene Cafe, in my opinion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

@B1RMA - the sandbox smart, as far as small roasters go, is really good. I had the opportunity to roast on one for a couple of months, and, despite the niggles (handling a hot cylinder with gloves after pre-warm up, roasting through the app exclusively etc) produces an amazing roast in comparison to a Gene Cafe, in my opinion. 

Yes as you say handling the basket etc can be a bit awkward but after a few times it's no problem at all. For something that is very much plug in and play it works perfectly every time so far, there are other roast profiles available on the app but I haven't bothered purely and simply because the first results on slow medium were good and I'm still learning how to use the Pavoni so doing everything at one setting at the moment does at least help me understand the results I'm getting and can consistently monitor my results.

• Like 2