IGNORED

Sandbox Smart

Agreed, however when you look a profile graph with bean temp readings, you can at least see where the phases have occurred and get a feel for the coffee.

Also agree re ET probe, it’s incredibly useful to get an idea of where a roast is going, however in the case of the Sandbox, I’m not convinced that it’s placed correctly.

My ET probe is placed in the drum at the top near the exhaust out of bean strike. It never gives a reading below FC temp. 

To me knowing the end temp of one’s bean is crucial to developing profiles. Roasting coffee is in essence cooking after all. Many chefs use probes to measure meat/fish or at the very least touch - but that of course isn’t an option either - with no trier. 

I’m just interested to see how much extra is going to be charged for the Bluetooth/profile capabilities of this roaster, because I see these as a bit of a red herring, honestly.

On a positive note however, I think the form factor and design is very nice. 

Cheers Phil

• Like 1
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have completed my review of the roaster if anyone is interested. This is a direct link to the MS Sway document itself https://sway.office.com/tfqj3vUqjfiA30Eu

Some photos of last Saturdays Roasts but taken today. Hard to get the colour and exposure right, especially with shadows. They were 150g batches (what I consider to be the maximum). Both tasting excel

Posted Images

On 07/12/2020 at 14:35, DavecUK said:

I have completed my review of the roaster if anyone is interested.

This is a direct link to the MS Sway document itself https://sway.office.com/tfqj3vUqjfiA30Eu

I read with some interest this document comparing the perception of taste between like coffees (roasted with a comparable roast profile) on a Probat and an Ikawa Pro (i.e. to illustrate the caveats of using the latter as a sample roaster for the former). https://caravela.coffee/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/A-Heated-Comparison-Ikawa-vs-Probat-FINAL.pdf

The review does state that the roast results are broadly similar due to similar methods, however, I was wondering whether you had noticed any flavour profiles that could be said to be a 'feature' or characteristic of the Sandbox Smart when comparing to the Amazon Dallian using the same green beans?

9 minutes ago, Rob1 said:

It's up on BB now. £699 without the cooling tray and currently only in Red but they might still be updating the website.

https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/sandbox-smart-roaster.html

Possibly because I know they will offer the cooling tray and then the Roaster+cooling tray as a bundle...but have no idea what the detail will be on the price

• Like 1

Nothing here...

2 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

Possibly because I know they will offer the cooling tray and then the Roaster+cooling tray as a bundle...but have no idea what the detail will be on the price

I spoke to Dave at BB and he suggested near £800 for Sandbox+cooling tray. 

44 minutes ago, Rob1 said:

Pre-order bundle is up at a somewhat reasonable cost. I don't know who they're kidding with the cost of the cooling bin alone.

I'd click on the Bella Barista advertising banner (they are now a forum advertiser), as there is a special offer for forum members purchasing the Roaster bundle

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nothing here...

7 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

I'd click on the Bella Barista advertising banner (they are now a forum advertiser), as there is a special offer for forum members purchasing the Roaster bundle

How do you click the banner? Do you just keep refreshing until the banner is displayed?

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

11 minutes ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

How do you click the banner? Do you just keep refreshing until the banner is displayed?

Sadly, yes....it's something I want to get Tait to fix...and I will

I mean I could have just posted the link here I suppose....but that wouldn't be any fun would it 🤣

P.S. They have also posted details in this area

https://coffeeforums.co.uk/forum/100-discounts-special-offers-from-our-advertisers/

Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 1

Nothing here...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! I'm looking forward to buying this roaster and try to find some info about it. I just found the first review on Amazon US - the owner, in general, is satisfied with it, only mentioned the lack of quality as the latch is not very well aligned. I hope they pay attention to this minor issue. Also, I still can't understand what a power cord do they use - is it detachable or not? They state that there are two versions - 110V and 220-240V, but I couldn't find if I could choose the right EU plug. Well, DIY or an adapter UK EU, not a big deal, but buying something more-less expensive, better to have an appropriate power cord. Another question is how to buy it - it was so nice to buy anything from BB, as I live in Estonia. We don't have any local market and got used to buying such stuff in the UK, but now it seems I have to pay double tax getting something from the UK. Sorry for these irrelevant thoughts; it's just so painful.

Edited by Ilves
13 minutes ago, Ilves said:

Hello! I'm looking forward to buying this roaster and try to find some info about it. I just found the first review on Amazon US - the owner, in general, is satisfied with it, only mentioned the lack of quality as the latch is not very well aligned. I hope they pay attention to this minor issue. Also, I still can't understand what a power cord do they use - is it detachable or not? They state that there are two versions - 110V and 220-240V, but I couldn't find if I could choose the right EU plug. Well, DIY or an adapter UK EU, not a big deal, but buying something more-less expensive, better to have an appropriate power cord. Another question is how to buy it - it was so nice to buy anything from BB, as I live in Estonia. We don't have any local market and got used to buying such stuff in the UK, but now it seems I have to pay double tax getting something from the UK. Sorry for these irrelevant thoughts; it's just so painful.

Did you see the extensive review from DavecUK? Why double tax? Doesn’t the agreement currently proposed cover free tariff of goods within the EU and the UK or doesn’t this qualify if you buy from Bella Barista?

BB listing: https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/sandbox-smart-r1-roaster-and-cooler-package-deal.html

There’s a link to Dave’s review there.

Edited by MediumRoastSteam

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Of course, I did watch; I decided to buy the roaster after the review. But there I couldn't find the info about the plug.  I only mentioned the review from Amazon as the only end-users review I found. 
 About the possibility to order from the UK, there is a big mess, our postal services still state about VAT I have to pay in case I get something from the UK. Maybe they didn't update the info after the deal, but ok, that's a different story :)

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Ilves said:

Of course, I did watch; I decided to buy the roaster after the review. But there I couldn't find the info about the plug.  I only mentioned the review from Amazon as the only end-users review I found. 
 About the possibility to order from the UK, there is a big mess, our postal services still state about VAT I have to pay in case I get something from the UK. Maybe they didn't update the info after the deal, but ok, that's a different story :)

Maybe worth dropping Bella Barista an email and ask about the plug, or Dave may know. From my experience, changing the plug does not invalidate the warranty in any way. I’ve bought a couple of machines and grinders from Bella Barista, and s coffee roaster (Gene cafe) and always changed the plug. At the time, my machine developed a fault (Gicar box) and they never question the fact I had changed the plug. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

Why double tax? Doesn’t the agreement currently proposed cover free tariff of goods within the EU and the UK or doesn’t this qualify if you buy from Bella Barista?

To the best of my non-expert understanding, goods exported from the UK to the EU will be subject to Rules of Origin to determine whether they are tariff free. That means a specified proportion of the exported product's value must derive from materials manufactured in the UK. The Sandbox Smart is made in Taiwan, I believe. 

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Since i'm interested too, but could benefit other readers, i just asked BellaBarista and was told the roaster comes with a UK plug, apparently with no detachable cord since they specified i will need an adapter.

I'm using mine with an adaptor, just make sure you verify there is an active earth on the adaptor..

• Like 1

Nothing here...

1 hour ago, DavecUK said:

I'm using mine with an adaptor, just make sure you verify there is an active earth on the adaptor..

Thanks for the feedback! And obviously for the review, it is really interesting!

Edited by il_guru
  • 1 month later...

I'm sure it's in the review, I'm roasting right now, see what you find and come back to me later.

Edited by DavecUK
  • Thanks 1

Nothing here...

@DavecUK,

Yes you did mention extracting - sorry.

You mention "not too close", so my initial idea of sticking a fan to the casing is perhaps not a good idea.

I'll have to figure out some kind of fan mounting away from the machine.

Thanks for a great review, which I obviously missed parts of.