IGNORED

Sandbox Smart

Adam I

Last quote from them about the R1 + C1 + shipping fee = 757,6 euros

At this price, there is no custom duties thus final price will be near from 950-1k euros... Well, I personally (as everybody I guess 😅) waiting the final report from DavecUK however in this price range (1k) others competitors like Kaffee logic nano 7 or even the Quest M3 could also be worth  it ?

Who knows... Well...

Edited by Lovic

€1k is not an attractive price for me at least. I'm sure it's a great machine, but, at this price, I think I'll leave the job to the pros.

• Like 1

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

1 hour ago, Lovic said:

Last quote from them about the R1 + C1 + shipping fee = 757,6 euros

At this price, there is no custom duties thus final price will be near from 950-1k euros... Well, I personally (as everybody I guess 😅) waiting the final report from DavecUK however in this price range (1k) others competitors like Kaffee logic nano 7 or even the Quest M3 could also be worth  it ?

Who knows... Well...

The Kaffeelogic is a fluid bed roaster, so not really comparable. You can make something similar yourself with artisan support easily enough, I'm sure there are plenty of instructions online for making that type of roaster suitable for various batch sizes. 

With a few mods you could integrate artisan into the gene cafe. Of course if you're not up for that you're not going to be up for building your own roaster and are going to have to pay a premium for somebody else to do it for you but at least you'll get a nicer form factor (probably). I like this one: https://homeroasters.org/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=5742&rowstart=0

The price does seem steep compared to the NTD price that works out less than £600. Anything above £500-600 for the home user is pushing it imo. You'd have to be a real enthusiast to spend more than that (i.e already into home roasting). It illustrates why the home roaster market hasn't taken off. Machines are priced so high as to make it prohibitive for the vast majority to try it; they'd rather spend money on coffee roasted professionally than do it themselves if it costs almost 1k to even get into it.

Edited by Rob1
  • Like 2

@Rob1, Yes exactly, price range above 500-600£ is a different limonade, definitely, however is it worth it for a coffee lover which want to improve his skills ? Is this roaster able to perform as well as a professional sample roaster especially if we want to perform light and medium roast ?
This a small sum-up about the questions I have even if my Gene Café works perfectly, unfortunately the lack of control remains frustrating.

Edited by Lovic

4 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

Have I missed something, is there a current RRP for the UK CE approved version of the roaster from Bella Barista?

No this is discussion of the price direct from manufacturer including delivery and taxes to France. 

Edited by Rob1

Ah...I was getting worried for a minute....if there is time the French guy might be able to buy from BB before we leave EU. Even if it's after I expect there will be some exemption period for 3-6 months.

Edited by DavecUK

CFUK, the biggest, best and most friendly forum in the UK...with a wealth of knowledge among its many members.

2 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

Ah...I was getting worried for a minute....if there is time the French guy might be able to buy from BB before we leave EU. Even if it's after I expect there will be some exemption period for 3-6 months.

We have left the EU 1st Jan 2020. This is now the race to get a trade deal with the EU, where everything stays the same until 1st Jan 2021. After that is back to WTO rules if we don't have a deal. So technically... We've left the building 🙂 - So technically, as far as I understand - maybe I don't? - This is the exemption period. 

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

53 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

Does this mean you expect BB to have stock in December?

• 4 weeks later...

I have completed my review of the roaster if anyone is interested.

This is a direct link to the MS Sway document itself https://sway.office.com/tfqj3vUqjfiA30Eu

Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 4

CFUK, the biggest, best and most friendly forum in the UK...with a wealth of knowledge among its many members.

Cheers Dave, been looking forward to this for a while!

p.s. Whoever chose to use that sway.office for the review should be shot! I hope that wasn't you Dave! If there is one thing that should never be fucked with on the web, its scrolling....

Edited by mctrials23
additions

32 minutes ago, mctrials23 said:

Cheers Dave, been looking forward to this for a while!

p.s. Whoever chose to use that sway.office for the review should be shot! I hope that wasn't you Dave! If there is one thing that should never be fucked with on the web, its scrolling....

It was me and I don't see the problem with sway, you can set up the view as you want, or even create a .pdf with links if that's what you want. Sway is free and no adverts. I find it works well with mobiles and PCs. Everything else that's free (for me) like my review site, has a whole load of shitty horrible adverts on it.

• My Youtube is not monetised, so unless I make an error...no adverts to hassle viewers
  • MS Sway is a courtesy of MS and although the free version has limitations they don't affect me much and again no adverts.

It's also very easy to write stuff in sway....it's why from the lelit Elizabeth review, I started using MS Sway. It allows me to do owners manuals, hints and tips guides, as well as dynamically and rapidly edit out problems, mistakes or make updates as required. Wordpress was a PITA, also BB wanted their reviews pulled from wordpress and on their site because of ads, another major PITA for me, especially if I updated anything.

Lastly in MS Sway I and no one else has control of my reviews, so nothing can be changed unless I change it!

giphy.gif

Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

Lastly in MS Sway I and no one else has control of my reviews, so nothing can be changed unless I change it!

Well.... Strictly speaking, MS has control of that. If they disappear... You had it :D (I don't think this will happen, ever, but just for completeness).

40 minutes ago, mctrials23 said:

Whoever chose to use that sway.office

I'm not a fan of Sway either. It feels clunky, bloated... To me at least. it's Microsoft, what else would we expect?

But also it's free, and has no adverts, and its contents can be easily viewed on multiple devices and be printed. 

Dave could have written his review in "plain/text" with links. Would be equally worth for me. I really value the content. The format... Meh. Whatever. 🙂 

• Like 1

I have taken word backups, so I can always recreate if need be...but as you say, it's about content.

If people want glossy, whizzy whatever, they can go and look at the commercial stuff. If they really want to find out, then they have to make the effort to use Sway.

I had wondered whether to go purely video for the reviews....but it's a very limiting medium to get facts across in and for people to easily reference stuff. So I use video mainly for provers.

P.S. I am a Microsoft fanboy....I remember the bad old days before Microsoft. Bill Gates changed the face of computing, in fact was responsible for the biggest changes in our world. Should have given him a Nobel prize. I do admit he stole a lot of stuff from Vax VMS of course, mainly the core of the windows operating system.

Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 1

My first experience with Sway. I couldn't see anything wrong with it. Just scrolled my way through. Great review! One of these days I might cough up the funds to get into roasting. if I do this would be top of the list.

• Like 1

Rocket Giotto Evoluzione v2, Eureka Zenith 65E, Niche grinder, Pharos grinder with VoodooDaddy mods, Eureka MDL, Torr Goldfinger, Smart Tamp. Various coffee stuff.

I started watching whist at work today on the side but, as expected, a high degree of concentration is required. Something for the weekend. One cannot easily multitask. 😂😊

looking forward to watching and reading it!