brewed

Are fancy beans worth it?

Sometimes I see roasters offering coffees for around £30 for 100g or something and I'm not sure if it's worth giving them a go. I know they're geishas and so producers are paid a lot for them, and it's not like I'm against nice stuff but I'm not sure. How has your experience been with these coffees? Do you buy them regularly and how do you pick?

I'd say that if you find one you really like the sound of, and can afford it, then try them at least once. 

The caveat is you need to be sure you have a decent method of extraction, decent grinder and decent water - no point buying expensive beans and wasting their potential. 

• Like 2

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. :coffee:

21 minutes ago, jkb89 said:

I'd say that if you find one you really like the sound of, and can afford it, then try them at least once. 

The caveat is you need to be sure you have a decent method of extraction, decent grinder and decent water - no point buying expensive beans and wasting their potential. 

Do you recommend any roaster doing this kind of thing especially well?

How do you find it? Do you get them often? I'm wondering if its worth getting into them or just learning more about a specific region or something else.

^ this.
Same as fine wine etc. Just because it's expensive doesn't mean you'll like it more than your usual favourite. But it's part of the hobby to explore what's out there (if you want to) and until you try you'll never know. The trouble with coffee is that as stated above, if you don't make a decent fist of extracting it, it may not live up to the hype and when it's a £££ geisha that's going to leave a bitter taste (sorry, bad pun!)

___
Eat, drink and be merry

• Thanks 1

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

45 minutes ago, brewed said:

Sometimes I see roasters offering coffees for around £30 for 100g or something and I'm not sure if it's worth giving them a go. I know they're geishas and so producers are paid a lot for them, and it's not like I'm against nice stuff but I'm not sure. How has your experience been with these coffees? Do you buy them regularly and how do you pick?

Never paid 30 quid for 100g I’ve been to about 10-12 quid for 100g.

Are you going to brew then or use then for espresso ?

• Thanks 1

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Some folks would say that espresso is the wrong method to drink fine beans. To celebrate Brexit Day in January, I bought a 250 gram bag of Whoosh from Rave. It was about £27 I think. I told my Brexit pal who was coming over to ring me when he was 35 minutes away, so I could brew it in the Boilbrew and it would be ready for him on arrival. It was absolutely spot on, so, I did great, let remake you an espresso......now, let us see if the un named gentleman wants to reveal himself and can remember what he added to my offer! 

Honestly as much as I like espresso, I would only use beans that expensive for brewing with. The clarity of flavours is so muddied by the espresso process vs something like a goo V60 that it doesn't make sense to me to do it as an espresso. 

I was thinking filter. Seems like such small amounts will be too risky for espresso. Maybe try the kompresso instead of the machine.

Did you find any favorites for the £10-12 for 100

So filter is the best method to get the most out of a coffee bean?

Does this mean that posh beans are wasted in espresso and that filter needs good beans to work best?

:classic_wacko:

Does this mean that posh beans are wasted in espresso and that filter needs good beans to work best?

No it just gets very expensive while dialling in.
  • Like 1

I would always use filter first, pourover usually on expensive beans. Wasting 1/5 of a pack because you haven't got the dial in nailed on espresso would be a waste. 

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. :coffee:

4 minutes ago, jkb89 said:

I would always use filter first, pourover usually on expensive beans. Wasting 1/5 of a pack because you haven't got the dial in nailed on espresso would be a waste. 

Espresso is a tad wasteful, I'll give you that!

30 minutes ago, Blue_Cafe said:

A lot of these high end geishas as very delicate in flavour profile , for me not best suited to espresso , you need a dam good grinder to get them to work , and if you are going to make a mil based drink with em, just don’t bother. 

• Like 1

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

I like the fine wine analogy. Providing it is within peoples budget I think it is great to try an expensive coffee now and again.

Would a £30 for 100g coffee (£300 per kg) be ten times better than some of the coffee I have on at £30 per kilo? Probably not but it is more of an experience than a cup of something before work.

I had a Pacamara XO on at the equivalent of £92 per kilo earlier in the year, yes it was expensive compared to other coffee on our list but if you worked it out on a cost per cup it was actually about on par with cost of buying a takeaway coffee from a petrol station 😁

That said some of these coffee that have been through the digestive tract of animals etc are possibly a little over hyped. Not sure I would part with that sort of money for one of those.

• Like 1

www.blackcatcoffee.co.uk

Coffee | Equipment | Accessories | Service & Repair

Fracino | Eureka | Motta | IMS

I bought the Origin Geisha in June - worked out at over £30 for 125gr-because I wanted to see what it would taste like and how it would compare. Granted, it was a geisha so I knew the 'ballpark' the taste could be in and I had fun brewing it in a v60; it was a very good coffee. Would I buy it again? No-out of my budget and I enjoy the general taste profile of other beans. Also, being quite so pricy, it's been hard finding the right time to 'celebrate' with a cup of it, hence there is still 30 grams of it on the shelf. So, prompted by this thread, I'm going to whip out the Feld and brew it up right now...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nicd said:

I bought the Origin Geisha in June - worked out at over £30 for 125gr-because I wanted to see what it would taste like and how it would compare. Granted, it was a geisha so I knew the 'ballpark' the taste could be in and I had fun brewing it in a v60; it was a very good coffee. Would I buy it again? No-out of my budget and I enjoy the general taste profile of other beans. Also, being quite so pricy, it's been hard finding the right time to 'celebrate' with a cup of it, hence there is still 30 grams of it on the shelf. So, prompted by this thread, I'm going to whip out the Feld and brew it up right now...

I do see coffee as a bit of a hobby and thought buying these beans was the equivalent to a nice meal or a expensive and ridiculous cocktail; I certainly wouldn't do then everyday but, occasionally as a treat, they are amazing. 

I've only ever tried the really expensive ones when visiting coffee shops - and I've never really been that impressed. They were certainly good - but I couldn't see what made them better than the already great normally priced beans. (I don't regret paying for them, and by the time you're already paying for cofffe in a shop then the different beans don't add all that much - but I wouldn't bother for home brewing.)

Edited by viveur

3 hours ago, BlackCatCoffee said:

I had a Pacamara XO on at the equivalent of £92 per kilo earlier in the year, yes it was expensive compared to other coffee on our list but if you worked it out on a cost per cup it was actually about on par with cost of buying a takeaway coffee from a petrol station 😁

@Black Cat Coffee
Thanks for that thought - it’s a solid enough argument that I can use at home 👍🏼.
Though personally I would never buy whatever that stuff they call coffee is from a petrol station, on grounds of quality rather than cost. 

Regards,
John

Profitec Pro 600, Niche Zero, 1Zpresso JX Pro, Osmio Zero, vast stock of unused bottled water . . .