Erky32

Beware Gaggia Brera & Cafe Italia !

After 12 yrs good service from Cafe Italia they recommended the Gaccia Brera as a updated replacement for my Gaccia Syncrony.

Within the first week of receiving I was experiencing delicious coffee with good crema, ......BUT what a distaster that Brera machine is!!

- routinely dumps all the water reservoir outwith normal production & rinsing

- drip tray contantly needs emptying

- used grain drawer says its full with one deposit in it

- brewgroup is always messed up with ground coffee

I reported my misgivings to Cafe Italia within the first week and they said for £100 they would check it out and send it back to me!! ....that was their warranty service - free warranty but £100 shipping!! I said I wanted a refund, - they said no. So I will never use that company again, bad service practice has set in. I'll continue to use the machine till it drops dead, - which probably wont be long, then dump it and put it down to a bad experience - in future order from Amazon!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Erky32 said:

After 12 yrs good service from Cafe Italia they recommended the Gaccia Brera as a updated replacement for my Gaccia Syncrony.

Within the first week of receiving I was experiencing delicious coffee with good crema, ......BUT what a distaster that Brera machine is!!

- routinely dumps all the water reservoir outwith normal production & rinsing

- drip tray contantly needs emptying

- used grain drawer says its full with one deposit in it

- brewgroup is always messed up with ground coffee

I reported my misgivings to Cafe Italia within the first week and they said for £100 they would check it out and send it back to me!! ....that was their warranty service - free warranty but £100 shipping!! I said I wanted a refund, - they said no. So I will never use that company again, bad service practice has set in. I'll continue to use the machine till it drops dead, - which probably wont be long, then dump it and put it down to a bad experience - in future order from Amazon!

This is coffee italia all over , what service did they provide you for 12 years, my guess is you never needed to ask them for anything ? There are countless examples of them being terrible , so units not just set in, its always been like that .

• Like 1

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Posted (edited)

They have their own thread, this post should be moved there really. Still, OP has vented...job done ;)

For future reference this should be posted in  https://coffeeforums.co.uk/forum/34-equipment-retailer-reviews/

Edited by DavecUK

Reviews: https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ YouTube channel: https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl

I do this as a hobby, I'm not in business and receive no payment for my work a full disclosure is, and always has been, on my review and YouTube sites. Oh, I agree with @dfk41 quite often...well sometimes.

1 minute ago, Blue_Cafe said:

Sounds like you got a warranty return which was simply washed and repacked....

You have no idea that's the case, don't speculate.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Reviews: https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ YouTube channel: https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl

I do this as a hobby, I'm not in business and receive no payment for my work a full disclosure is, and always has been, on my review and YouTube sites. Oh, I agree with @dfk41 quite often...well sometimes.

1 minute ago, DavecUK said:

Wtf is your problem now?

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Blue_Cafe said:

Wtf is your problem now?

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest the fact that you diagnosed a problem with a machine, that you have never seen nor been within a mile of, without having anything but the barest outline of the issues is the problem?

What do you think?

Edited by Drewster
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Manic Obsession"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stuff......

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently enjoying LSOL

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Drewster said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest the fact that you diagnosed a problem with a machine, that you have never seen nor been within a mile of, without having anything but the barest outline of the issues is the problem?

What do you think?

I didn't diagnose any problem with the machine?

I suggested the company that has been accused in the past of bollox just cleaned a return machine up and sent it out.

Its a perfectly normal practice for dodgy companies.

Clearly, it was zero attempt at diagnosing anything, if you think it was, well, i wonder if you lot are either taking things a tad serious on the forum or, more likely, just trolling new members who don't fall into your clique?

Let's look at the reply from Dave: "Don't speculate"

Since when is anything on this forum anything other than speculation and opinion?

You're an odd bunch for sure.

Edited by Blue_Cafe

5 minutes ago, Blue_Cafe said:

I didn't diagnose any problem with the machine?

I suggested the company that has a know history of bollox just cleaned a return machine up and sent it out.

Its a perfectly normal practice for dodgy companies.

You have no idea, proof and no evidence from the other persons post that this what they did. It's very irresponsible to make statements like that. To make these sorts of comments reflects badly on the forum and badly on you.

You should remember the wise words of Harry Frankfurt

Bullshit is unavoidable whenever circumstances require
someone to talk without knowing what he is talking about. Thus
the production of bullshit is stimulated whenever a person’s
obligations or opportunities to speak about some topic are more
excessive than his knowledge of the facts that are relevant to that
topic.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

You have no idea, proof and no evidence from the other persons post that this what they did. It's very irresponsible to make statements like that. To make these sorts of comments reflects badly on the forum and badly on you.

You should remember the wise words of Harry Frankfurt

I have been on many forums and know how they work, the cliques they form, the loyalties that are protected and the heiracies that are built.

To often, it is those structures that destroy those forums because it leads to a environment which eats itself.

I could go all in and have a war with you and those who tug at your coat tails, but really, at 45 years old, i CBA. I have done forum war before. It leads nowhere.

So, in a gesture of peace and harmony.  I ask for a truce. You do you, and i will do me. I put out a fairly obvious olive branch yesterday to you but its clear you ignored it.

I'm just here to talk and learn about coffee, share my thoughts on the things that revolve around  that sun and have a nice time. If thats an issue i suggest you use the ignore button. I won't be pushing back on your snark or aggressive responses anymore.

Peace.

Blue_Cafe, - judging by your profile picture & location, ......would you be anywhere near my home in sunny Gascony?

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Erky32 said:

Blue_Cafe, - judging by your profile picture & location, ......would you be anywhere near my home in sunny Gascony?

Oh, i wish i was !

Beautiful part of the country and i have enjoyed many a fantastic holiday there  on the coast.

I miss those caravaning trips we used to do in Brittany. Great times.

We had mussels in a local restaurant back home at the weekend and the french chef came out to talk to us. I wondered why they were so good!

My picture is one of my favorites because it is a good metaphor for me personally. I am always looking in a different direction than everyone else (For better or worse)

Well, for worse judging by my reception on this forum of late!

Edited by Blue_Cafe

1 hour ago, DavecUK said:

They have their own thread, this post should be moved there really. Still, OP has vented...job done ;)

For future reference this should be posted in  https://coffeeforums.co.uk/forum/34-equipment-retailer-reviews/

Weird. I went hunting for this "thread" that people refer to. 

There is firstly this one here: 

However, both this post and this post make reference to a thread that no longer exists. Specifically this one: 

https://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread.php?29583-Coffee-Italia&p=555146#post555146

Anybody know what has happened? Why has that thread disappeared?  

Posted (edited)

Perhaps the thread was just moved breaking the link?

Edited by Blue_Cafe

29 minutes ago, phario said:

However, both this post and this post make reference to a thread that no longer exists. Specifically this one: 

https://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread.php?29583-Coffee-Italia&p=555146#post555146

Anybody know what has happened? Why has that thread disappeared?  

Above thread was moved, I think, by previous owner into mods & admin where it is still visible to but only to mods. I think, at the time, Cafe Italia may have been/or still are advertisers. Can't seem to find a list of current advertisers on the revised forum layout.  Have a feeling this isn't the answer you are seeking.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

2 hours ago, The Systemic Kid said:

Above thread was moved, I think, by previous owner into mods & admin where it is still visible to but only to mods. I think, at the time, Cafe Italia may have been/or still are advertisers. Can't seem to find a list of current advertisers on the revised forum layout.  Have a feeling this isn't the answer you are seeking.

Yikes. 

28 minutes ago, phario said:

Yikes. 

Anyone can become an advertiser on here....if they pay. Nothing wrong with that.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

Anyone can become an advertiser on here....if they pay. Nothing wrong with that.

Why do you think I was referring to advertising? 

I was referring to whether not useful information about a business was removed because this business was an advertiser. 

I don't know if that's the case since I have no idea what was in that thread and what was discussed.

All I know is that a thread that was cited by multiple people as a point of reference is no longer accessible. 

Edited by phario

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, phario said:

Why do you think I was referring to advertising? 

Because everyone was moaning when they saw adverts for that vendor appear on the forum.....seemed to be an unpopular choice. So I thought Yikes was a comment made to express surprise that they were advertisers. A reasonable assumption, if you had seen the thread about it that has since disappeared.

Your longer comment (more than 1 word)  makes it perfectly clear that this was not the case.

Edited by DavecUK

8 hours ago, DavecUK said:

Similar to speculation that a company only sells a machine for higher prices than advertised 

• Sad 1

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, MaraXprofitec, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air, Niche Zero, Aergrind, IMS and VST baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, modded Gene Cafe CBR 101, BWT Bestmax PREMIUM V

Just now, Stanic said:

Similar to speculation that a company only sells a machine for higher prices than advertised 

I actually based that on following the prices for many months both last year and this year. I never saw one time where they had one in stock at that price and it when it came in stock it was always at the higher price. However, I'm quite prepared to accept that I may have missed the times when they did have them at the lower price. It wasn't speculation as I did do a fair bit of checking over a few years before making that statement but obviously I didn't check enpough.

I didn't make a complete guess and pull it right out of my arse....You should know I don't do that.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

I actually based that on following the prices for many months both last year and this year. I never saw one time where they had one in stock at that price and it when it came in stock it was always at the higher price. However, I'm quite prepared to accept that I may have missed the times when they did have them at the lower price. It wasn't speculation as I did do a fair bit of checking over a few years before making that statement but obviously I didn't check enpough.

I didn't make a complete guess and pull it right out of my arse....You should know I don't do that.

based on the reaction to that post where multiple forum users claimed that the machine was indeed sold for the price advertised, I'd say you didn't check it enough and it was a speculation based on assumptions

Edited by Stanic
mistake

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, MaraXprofitec, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air, Niche Zero, Aergrind, IMS and VST baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, modded Gene Cafe CBR 101, BWT Bestmax PREMIUM V

I'm interested to see all the comments my thread has raised. I wrote the message out of pure frustration that "Cafe Italia'...." could brush me aside with their bad co-operation , work ethics & service, and it bugs me every time I make a coffee with that substandard machine. I'm amazed to learn what a terrible & well-established bad reputation they have. If I've done a positive service to the world of coffee lovers by sharing my concerns - I feel gratified and hope it gives the necessary & deserved kick-up-the-bum to the company. I hope they are following this thread!

16 minutes ago, Erky32 said:

I'm interested to see all the comments my thread has raised. I wrote the message out of pure frustration that "Cafe Italia'...." could brush me aside with their bad co-operation , work ethics & service, and it bugs me every time I make a coffee with that substandard machine. I'm amazed to learn what a terrible & well-established bad reputation they have. If I've done a positive service to the world of coffee lovers by sharing my concerns - I feel gratified and hope it gives the necessary & deserved kick-up-the-bum to the company. I hope they are following this thread!

Bonjour,

Always good to hear both side of the purchasing experience, both good and bad. No company is perfect and certainly, some make mistakes, but threads like this do help identify a trend.

i'm sticking with my speculation that its a return unit. Its a common enough practice and, when done well, there is no real issue tbh. Most stuff is just reboxed after an inspection and clean and why not? reduce, reuse recycle! No need to throw something away if its not been used. Perhaps in your case, it isn't a buyers remorse return, its actually a warranty return and the faults haven't been rectified.

I say this because its not in the selling where you see the real quality of a company, but in the customer service. Its when things go wrong that you get to see what they truly are about. After your post, i had a look at the T&C's on the website. The insistence on item condition on returns is a red flag for me. In your case, another trick for companies is to jack up delivery prices for pick and return so that most people don't bother. It's a nasty twist and whilst you may just have been unlucky, the return charges for warranty issues should be all one needs to make your decision about purchases. 

So all that said, (and it would be good if as an advertiser on this site, they could explain the warranty return charges) why not post a thread up about the machine and see if some of the more knowledgeable members can get the kinks sorted? It might be easier and cheaper than you think!

3 minutes ago, Blue_Cafe said:

why not post a thread up about the machine and see if some of the more knowledgeable members can get the kinks sorted? It might be easier and cheaper than you think!

Thanks @Blue_Cafe , if you think there's any mileage in that - I'll give it a try, -  it's got more hope than their customer service!! - which section do you think I should address it to ? (I'm not too familiar with this site)