IGNORED

CoffeeJunction closing down sale. 50% off beans

https://coffeejunction.co/collections/espresso/products/industrial-craft-house

Currently drinking it from an Aeropress 15/225g.

Brazilian/Columbian blend.

This is lovely and right up my street

Dark and warm, almost dark chocolate. Nice and balanced and non of the sharp brightness that I've had from more recent beans.

Happy enough and will be eager to see how it does in the Gaggia tomorrow.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@Zeak  @TomHughes I've emailed them to ask, I'll let you know if they respond.

Looks like they're selling off their inventory stock. Half price on all beans. Roast date is 11th May. https://coffeejunction.co/collections/classic    

I am learning to be very sceptical about much that is considered gospel in coffee 

15 minutes ago, Blue_Cafe said:

Dark and warm, almost dark chocolate. Nice and balanced and non of the sharp brightness that I've had from more recent beans.

Craft house are always solid. For what it's worth, if you like it, buy a kilo of industrial blend with the 10-20% off they often do and it works out around £4.50/250g delivered, not far off this clearance price.

• Like 1

Received my package this morning and had my first cup of Craft-House Industrial.  Nice flavor but I was a little disappointed to find the grind too coarse for the Gaggia.

18g tamped hard into the basket and I ended up with a cup of Americano instead of espresso...WAY too fast.

On 06/08/2020 at 20:03, Blue_Cafe said:

Well, its been a heavy few days so onto bag #2 from this lot.

Ozone Coffee: Empire blend.

Hmm.

Not that thrilled with this one. Not great, not terrible 

I am on cup#2 so still fiddling with it but it just seems a bit....flat. 

Perhaps its legs are a bit long. I did notice the bad was poorly sealed (a simple fold-over affair) so maybe they have aged somewhat.

Just put the first lot of the origin resolute's that I ordered through the grinder this morning. 

Still tasty. The shot is pulling a little quicker than the 28-32s recommendations, probably because the bean is a little on the older side. That said, quite happy with the purchase. Thanks OP.

tammma

5 minutes ago, MrSmartepants said:

Here's a comparison of what they sent to me vs putting the same grounds through my own grinder (regrinding).
Weird that they would send me a ground espresso that wasn't ground fine enough for espresso. 22d62f149b340a6555b188840c507f9b.jpg

Sent from my OnePlus 7 using Tapatalk

No reason to believe it was ground for espresso (it evidently wasn't!) just because it's an espresso blend, more likely for french press for which that looks about right. I did take a look before the site closed, just said 'ground'.

Here's a comparison of what they sent to me vs putting the same grounds through my own grinder (regrinding).
Weird that they would send me a ground espresso that wasn't ground fine enough for espresso. 22d62f149b340a6555b188840c507f9b.jpg

Weirdly enough this has happened to me twice with Pact (way back). They sent me a pack. It was nowhere good. I emailed them asking WTH? They "recalibrated" the grinder and sent another bag - same thing .)
1 hour ago, Zeak said:
2 hours ago, MrSmartepants said:

Weirdly enough this has happened to me twice with Pact (way back). They sent me a pack. It was nowhere good. I emailed them asking WTH? They "recalibrated" the grinder and sent another bag - same thing .)

Interestingly I had a bag from pact fairly recently but before I got my new grinder, and that was also waaaay too coarse for v60. Definitely french press at best.

Has anyone tried the Workshop ones in this sale? Coincidentally I brought my grinder from them. I know they have an excellent reputation and the service when I dealt with them was 2nd to none. Interested to know about these particular ones (and the dates!).

1 hour ago, Rapid said:

Interestingly I had a bag from pact fairly recently but before I got my new grinder, and that was also waaaay too coarse for v60. Definitely french press at best.

Has anyone tried the Workshop ones in this sale? Coincidentally I brought my grinder from them. I know they have an excellent reputation and the service when I dealt with them was 2nd to none. Interested to know about these particular ones (and the dates!).

I'm working my way through a bag of Ecuador Ramiro Granda, roasted 05-May. I'm enjoying it very much so if it's past its best now it must have been spectacular when it was fresh.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Stox said:

I'm working my way through a bag of Ecuador Ramiro Granda, roasted 05-May. I'm enjoying it very much so if it's past its best now it must have been spectacular when it was fresh.

I have the same. Its an absolute belter. I made it into an iced coffee today and it was great that way too. Wish I tried it fresh! 

Quite interesting seeing how old a lot of the beans being received in this thread were, but how good they still tasted. Makes you wonder whether they could have possibly been much better than they were at tasting when they were fresher and / or that the beans stay fresher for a lot longer than you would think is possible. 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, dutchy101 said:

Quite interesting seeing how old a lot of the beans being received in this thread were, but how good they still tasted. Makes you wonder whether they could have possibly been much better than they were at tasting when they were fresher and / or that the beans stay fresher for a lot longer than you would think is possible. 

I am learning to be very sceptical about much that is considered gospel in coffee :classic_laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
30 minutes ago, dutchy101 said:

They are fine, albeit at the tailend of freshness I would say. The bag I opened was very puffy, suggesting they had fully degassed during the 10-12 weeks since roasting. The shot starts running quite thin from about 20s+

I wouldn't keep them any longer, and so I have actually started putting these through the grinder before my existing stock of beans which have a newer roast date. 

You certainly wouldn't be getting a 'god-shot' out of these, but they are perfectly fine. 

I certainly notice the shot pour via an espresso. If you were using these in a french press or aeropress, I doubt you would notice. 

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, dutchy101 said:

I’ve changed my roasting to tasting practice as a result, roasting 2-3 weeks in advance now 

4 hours ago, dutchy101 said:

I've been surprised and impressed so far. I found myself wondering whether the beans would have been even better had they been fresher. Sadly, the beans I have tried so far are no longer available. I haven't checked the ones I put in the freezer, if any of them are still for sale, I might buy a fresh bag to compare.

• Like 1

So I just spro'd the Ecuador Workshop bean with a roast date of 3/5. Nice as a spro but needs a tinker, I did 15:35 in 39 seconds on the MaraX, so need to drop it a tad. 

I will say that it's very obvious the beans are stale. There's only a very thin crema for a start. Lacks a bit of mouthfeel, very light, but it does say it's a very light and smooth coffee so might not be completely down to the age of it. 

So worth a punt for a decent discount. I wouldn't have paid full whack for them anyway at £15 unless someone on here said they were absolutely outstanding, but very worth a try! 

On 13/08/2020 at 18:23, jaffro said:

So I just spro'd the Ecuador Workshop bean with a roast date of 3/5. Nice as a spro but needs a tinker, I did 15:35 in 39 seconds on the MaraX, so need to drop it a tad. 

Wow 39s? Usually I find stale beans that are towards the end of their useful life extract quickly not slowly, lots of volume and with only a thin Crema. Weird that you'd be pulling short?

It's usually the freshest beans that still need a degas that I usually find the hardest to extract from... Leave them a week or two and they are optimal. Leave them for three months  or more and they start to turn...

4 hours ago, tammma said:

Wow 39s? Usually I find stale beans that are towards the end of their useful life extract quickly not slowly, lots of volume and with only a thin Crema. Weird that you'd be pulling short?

It's usually the freshest beans that still need a degas that I usually find the hardest to extract from... Leave them a week or two and they are optimal. Leave them for three months  or more and they start to turn...

Yeah I got it more towards the 33 second mark last time, the 39 seconds was just my first guesstimate at a grind size! 

I've found that I'm preferring the longer extractions probably 80-90% of the time on the MaraX. Apparently others have found similar because of the gentle pre-infusion. 

That said, this one worked better at 33 seconds. Will say its a very temperamental bean, it's channelled a lot more than my other beans at the moment. Not sure if this is down to the age or just the bean, but it's interesting either way. Still tastes good though!