IGNORED

Pet cats and caffeine toxicity - how careful should you be?

Hi,

My wife and I are looking to take in a very lovely neighbourhood stray cat if the vet can’t find a chip next week to trace their owner with. A friend mentioned caffeine toxicity in cats which I hadn’t considered before.

How careful do you have to be with cats and coffee beans etc. as I haven’t had a cat whilst being into home espresso?

The beans do look like cat kibble, but obviously not something that smells like food. No major interest so far and she is normally very inquisitive, but would be left alone in the kitchen.

I have my beans in a couple of airscapes on the counter but I am guilty of not emptying my knock box very often or having coffee grounds under my grinder. Just curious how careful everyone normally is.

Thanks.

Good question - how much caffeine is present in spent coffee grounds? I’ve been lobbing the knock box contents either into the compost or straight onto the garden. They don’t seem to have harmed the local cat population (none of them are ours, but we have three or four who all think our garden is “their” territory). Time for some research.

Regards,
John

edit to add

https://www.caffeineinformer.com/caffeine-content/coffee-grounds

Looks like there is still quite a bit of caffeine in spent pucks 😳

Edited by Ozzyjohn

As a lifelong cat owner I can confirm my cats have never been the least bit interested in my coffee habits / beans, other than thinking me being in the kitchen might result in extra food if they dance around my feet and meow at me. 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Ozzyjohn said:

Good question - how much caffeine is present in spent coffee grounds? I’ve been lobbing the knock box contents either into the compost or straight onto the garden. They don’t seem to have harmed the local cat population (none of them are ours, but we have three or four who all think our garden is “their” territory). Time for some research.

Regards,
John

I've used grounds in my garden before. Has not killed either my cats or the neighbours cat. 

They haven't shown any additional interest in areas with coffee grounds.

• Like 2

I think cats are pretty fussy and don't generally go near anything that isn't to their liking (though there are always exceptions I suppose). I'd be worried if it was a dog because they seem more inclined to guzzle anything in reach. In my experience cats turn their nose up at most things that aren't immediately desirable. However I agree that's probably not enough to abandon all responsibility.

___
Eat, drink and be merry

The cat which runs my household has never shown the slightest interest in anything coffee-related and she wouldn't be shy in doing so if she thought it was potentially tasty. In my experience most cats are pretty picky about what they eat and are reasonably good at not eating things which will hurt them. 

• Like 2

Good on you @Northern_Monkey , a neighbour has just taken a neighbourhood stray to the vets for Neutering (he's fathered kittens by the neighbour's cat), microchip, flea and worm treatments and FIV. He's staying as a neighbourhood cat as he seems to have found places to get various meals (I provide breakfast) and sleep, so seems content with his life.  So hope all goes well for you.

• Thanks 1

We've an 8 month kittten-boss, had him since he was 10 weeks. He's never shown any interest in beans etc (even when there's a stray one on the floor).

On one occaision he did decide to take a sip of a freshly made filter coffee, he did not repeat that mistake. I've never seen him make a face like it. My understanding is that cat's don't taste sweetness in the way we do, so for him it must've been very hot and very bitter.

• Like 1

My cat will eat anything and darts at the cat biscuits which can look like coffee beans, then gobbles them up. Even though my cat is dumb as far as cats go, he has never shown the slightest interest when I drop a coffee bean.

ezgif.com-gif-maker(2).gif.e86a9bdd3d8e72977b9f1a858ca5b70d.gif  It's just a game and I beat it.

We have had a lot of cats. (My daughter has two cats that had litters, so there are going to be some kittens soon to accompany the two older cats.) Not one wanted to go near coffee in any form. Or latte. They all seem to hate the stuff, even the kittens when they visited. (I can practically see them thinking "what a wast of good milk").

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Vet appointment was rescheduled to today, Jo took her and all went well. She is now ours as she wasn’t chipped!

She is about 4 years old, a little bit chubby as we might have over fed her since she was so skinny early on...

Absolutely made up, she really didn’t like the carrier but has been super relaxed afterwards. Not bothered at all after being vaccinated, chipped and having three section of fur clipped to check for spaying scars. She is more patient than I would have been! 😂

50218500228_b1a0e98f70_b.jpg50219157516_3d3813fc1f_b.jpg

• Like 6

My cat went to the vet on Monday for his annual check. He has to go to their main clinic. He has teeth resorption but they aren't going to do anything about that yet as they found a round mass in his abdomen so don't want to put his heart through stress (he has a heart murmur) in case the mass is something which is serious and means the dental work would be short-term benefit only. They said they can do the ultrasound etc with no anaesthetic as he's such a calm cat, unlike the semi-feral where the other vet will not give him his booster shots unless he's in a cage where they can open to top to pin him and another person do the injection.

Hope your cat is OK @AndyDClements :(

Mine was unwell a couple of weeks ago.  She's 15 so was pretty worried but it was just an infection and she's a lot better. Weird times at the vets - not allowed in so they come out to you then take your pet in whilst you wait outside. 

Edited by aaronb