Northern_Monkey

Pet cats and caffeine toxicity - how careful should you be?

Hi,

My wife and I are looking to take in a very lovely neighbourhood stray cat if the vet can’t find a chip next week to trace their owner with. A friend mentioned caffeine toxicity in cats which I hadn’t considered before.

How careful do you have to be with cats and coffee beans etc. as I haven’t had a cat whilst being into home espresso?

The beans do look like cat kibble, but obviously not something that smells like food. No major interest so far and she is normally very inquisitive, but would be left alone in the kitchen.

I have my beans in a couple of airscapes on the counter but I am guilty of not emptying my knock box very often or having coffee grounds under my grinder. Just curious how careful everyone normally is.

Thanks.

Posted (edited)

Good question - how much caffeine is present in spent coffee grounds? I’ve been lobbing the knock box contents either into the compost or straight onto the garden. They don’t seem to have harmed the local cat population (none of them are ours, but we have three or four who all think our garden is “their” territory). Time for some research.

Regards,
John

edit to add

https://www.caffeineinformer.com/caffeine-content/coffee-grounds

Looks like there is still quite a bit of caffeine in spent pucks 😳

Edited by Ozzyjohn

Profitec Pro 600, Niche Zero, 1Zpresso JX Pro, Osmio Zero, vast stock of unused bottled water . . .

As a lifelong cat owner I can confirm my cats have never been the least bit interested in my coffee habits / beans, other than thinking me being in the kitchen might result in extra food if they dance around my feet and meow at me. 

• Like 1

Londinium I, Mahlkönig Vario, Hario Skerton, Chemex 1-3 Cup.

2 minutes ago, Ozzyjohn said:

Good question - how much caffeine is present in spent coffee grounds? I’ve been lobbing the knock box contents either into the compost or straight onto the garden. They don’t seem to have harmed the local cat population (none of them are ours, but we have three or four who all think our garden is “their” territory). Time for some research.

Regards,
John

I've used grounds in my garden before. Has not killed either my cats or the neighbours cat. 

They haven't shown any additional interest in areas with coffee grounds.

• Like 2

Londinium I, Mahlkönig Vario, Hario Skerton, Chemex 1-3 Cup.

I think cats are pretty fussy and don't generally go near anything that isn't to their liking (though there are always exceptions I suppose). I'd be worried if it was a dog because they seem more inclined to guzzle anything in reach. In my experience cats turn their nose up at most things that aren't immediately desirable. However I agree that's probably not enough to abandon all responsibility.

___
Eat, drink and be merry

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Thanks - sounds like being sensible if we get to keep her and not leaving loads of pucks/grounds hanging round or anything silly like milk chocolate coated coffee beans out on the side should be OK 😂

The cat which runs my household has never shown the slightest interest in anything coffee-related and she wouldn't be shy in doing so if she thought it was potentially tasty. In my experience most cats are pretty picky about what they eat and are reasonably good at not eating things which will hurt them. 

• Like 1

Good on you @Northern_Monkey , a neighbour has just taken a neighbourhood stray to the vets for Neutering (he's fathered kittens by the neighbour's cat), microchip, flea and worm treatments and FIV. He's staying as a neighbourhood cat as he seems to have found places to get various meals (I provide breakfast) and sleep, so seems content with his life.  So hope all goes well for you.

• Thanks 1

We've an 8 month kittten-boss, had him since he was 10 weeks. He's never shown any interest in beans etc (even when there's a stray one on the floor).

On one occaision he did decide to take a sip of a freshly made filter coffee, he did not repeat that mistake. I've never seen him make a face like it. My understanding is that cat's don't taste sweetness in the way we do, so for him it must've been very hot and very bitter.

• Like 1

Vesuvius + Niche Zero // V60 + MBK Aerspeed

My cat will eat anything and darts at the cat biscuits which can look like coffee beans, then gobbles them up. Even though my cat is dumb as far as cats go, he has never shown the slightest interest when I drop a coffee bean.

• Haha 1

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

Our kitty doesn't go near coffee. Mind you if I'm having a dram she likes a good sniff so I'm more worried about the whisky stocks.

• Like 4

We have had a lot of cats. (My daughter has two cats that had litters, so there are going to be some kittens soon to accompany the two older cats.) Not one wanted to go near coffee in any form. Or latte. They all seem to hate the stuff, even the kittens when they visited. (I can practically see them thinking "what a wast of good milk").