Jump to content
IGNORED

Wet Shaving


Recommended Posts

Ah another rabbit hole I've spent time exploring. Probably did the deep dive about 15 years ago after having a beard for years and then shaving it off. Discovered the cost of Mach 2 blades and went 'nope' and looked elsewhere. Started off with a Merkur 34C, Kent brush and a visit to Trumpers to pick up some soap and eventually ended up with a nice Dovo Bismark straight and the necessary things that go with it. I still have them but since moving to the countryside I don't shave as often and have some sort of beard most of the time and just shave to neaten it up. I still have those razors but mostly use a Gillette double edge razor that's older than me and have a few various soaps and a nice custom brush.

One of the best things I own is a heated scuttle, you pour hot water into the double skin and it keeps your brush and foam warm, luxury on a chilly morning. They were mentioned on a forum I was on while I was travelling in Canada and it turned out I was 15 miles up the road from the village this potter lived in on Nova Scotia. What are the odds. So I ended up knocking on her door and introducing myself and have a lovely scuttle and bowl from her. I was the first customer to ever be in person, everyone else was mail order through the forum.

Oh and leg shaving, well I used to when I was racing triathlons moderately seriously and it was for three reasons, ability to clean up more easily after a potential crash, less friction of skin against the road in case of a crash, and less friction when getting a massage. There's so many other things that would gain you more aerodynamic efficiency than shaving your legs. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Orange disposable bic razor Tesco value foam Splash of Old Spice Spray of Brut Watch out ladies 

If you find yourself easily falling into rabbit holes I recommend you don't start looking too closey at shaving brushes.

Buy a coffee machine they said, you'll love it they said. Me 5 grand later:    

Posted Images

2 hours ago, SafetyThird said:

Ah another rabbit hole I've spent time exploring. Probably did the deep dive about 15 years ago after having a beard for years and then shaving it off. Discovered the cost of Mach 2 blades and went 'nope' and looked elsewhere. Started off with a Merkur 34C, Kent brush and a visit to Trumpers to pick up some soap and eventually ended up with a nice Dovo Bismark straight and the necessary things that go with it. I still have them but since moving to the countryside I don't shave as often and have some sort of beard most of the time and just shave to neaten it up. I still have those razors but mostly use a Gillette double edge razor that's older than me and have a few various soaps and a nice custom brush.

One of the best things I own is a heated scuttle, you pour hot water into the double skin and it keeps your brush and foam warm, luxury on a chilly morning. They were mentioned on a forum I was on while I was travelling in Canada and it turned out I was 15 miles up the road from the village this potter lived in on Nova Scotia. What are the odds. So I ended up knocking on her door and introducing myself and have a lovely scuttle and bowl from her. I was the first customer to ever be in person, everyone else was mail order through the forum.

Oh and leg shaving, well I used to when I was racing triathlons moderately seriously and it was for three reasons, ability to clean up more easily after a potential crash, less friction of skin against the road in case of a crash, and less friction when getting a massage. There's so many other things that would gain you more aerodynamic efficiency than shaving your legs. 

Yeah, now, but in the early 1980s it was a different time and every advantage was taken, no matter how small.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, haventadog said:

I prefer to wax myself

But if anyone should leave a nice razor and a teak bowl of Crabtree Evelyn shaving cream - it's lathers well for other areas

As part of our reducing plastic drive I bought my wife a long handled Merkur razor which she now uses instead of the disposables. Of course now I have to share my stash of blades and soaps.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh man, I've just had such a great shave with my lather bros sweet tobacco soap and balm. I remember the days when I never thought shaving would be a nice thing. Now days I actually look forward to it! Just once a week at the weekend and it never becomes a chore. 

A bit of cooling in a balm is nice too. Feels like ice on your face for about half hour afterwards. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 weeks later...

Did something I felt ashamed off yesterday.. Was having a shower after giving my beard a trim (after my other half let loose with some hair clippers on me.. She said I looked like a tramp!) reached for the shower gel, and grabbed her multi-blade thing.. 30 seconds later I had the smoothest shave in a long time. Albeit on my neck (have beard remember). I had my Filarmonica #14 in my bag as well :classic_wacko:

She saw me and said 'Kochania, that's my razor.. but you can use it as I haven't used it in a while'

I responded.. 'I can see, your moustache needs a trim..' :classic_laugh:

Bit of advice.. Don't upset a Polish woman... :classic_rolleyes:

 

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3  + Niche

Output: Slayer One Group + La Pavoni + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

25 minutes ago, Rhys said:

She saw me and said 'Kochania, that's my razor.. but you can use it as I haven't used it in a while'

 

My other half did the same ( he used a new one though - I travelled a lot for work and it was just easier to take those and then if I forgot it somewhere int he world, I did not care) and said it was awsome too - but then he had always been using an electric razor.

I showed him how to shave with a standard razor ( removable double blade), and he loved it, we then moved onto the cutthrout and strangely he was not such a fan, he found it harder to not slice himself up when he did it, so often asked me to do it for him the works, hot towels, pre-oil, fresh lather, me stropping the razor whilst he sipped a drink , and it was a special treat and we both had fun.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Catlady101 said:

 

 

My other half did the same ( he used a new one though - I travelled a lot for work and it was just easier to take those and then if I forgot it somewhere int he world, I did not care) and said it was awsome too - but then he had always been using an electric razor.

I showed him how to shave with a standard razor ( removable double blade), and he loved it, we then moved onto the cutthrout and strangely he was not such a fan, he found it harder to not slice himself up when he did it, so often asked me to do it for him the works, hot towels, pre-oil, fresh lather, me stropping the razor whilst he sipped a drink , and it was a special treat and we both had fun.

My other half won't go near my straights (cut-throats) :classic_rolleyes:

I offered to let her use one of my Thiers Issard round point ones for her legs but she refused..  I use mainly square point ones. She did try one of my Rolls though as she felt a bit safer since it resembled a normal razor and had a little guard across the edge of the blade. She just sticks to her disposables though.

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3  + Niche

Output: Slayer One Group + La Pavoni + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Rhys said:

She just sticks to her disposables though.

If you get a relatively good one ( my other half, although he would never admit it) really like the venus razors- blue ones.

I am fine with blades of all kinds, it is kind of my hobby, and I was just talking to a friend today - who is hopefully going to fix one of my straight razors ( also thiers) as the hinge has given up and my eyes are not so good these days.

Most of my razors are either gifts or things I have bought second hand and refurbished myself, as I am not super wealthy myself, just a regular joe.

I am tempted by, but funds do not presently allow, the IWASAKI KAMISORI ICHOGAKE one, the blade length seems far to short but it looks like a stunning piece - I have only seen it online, not in person - have you come across one before and if so - what do you think?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Catlady101 said:

I am tempted by, but funds do not presently allow, the IWASAKI KAMISORI ICHOGAKE one, the blade length seems far to short but it looks like a stunning piece - I have only seen it online, not in person - have you come across one before and if so - what do you think?

Ooof, that's a special one, with a price to match.  Never actually tried a Japanese Kamisori but I can't say I use the full length of a straight, so it should be easy to use tbh. I think they are one sided razors though like a microtome razor (used to cut sections of skin for analysis) so only for right handed use. Wouldn't mind trying one sometime myself. There are also Kamisori western style straight razors as well.

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3  + Niche

Output: Slayer One Group + La Pavoni + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yep - I'm a wet shaver. I got very geeky at first and bought around 20 razors, 50 soaps, 20 brushes etc. Yes, I know, less said the better. Anyway I've now managed to get everything down to around 15 soaps, 4 or 5 brushes and 4 or 5 razors I actually use. So - what's survived the cull.....

Razors: My daily shaver is a Micromatic Clog-Pruf. I find this as close to perfect as I've found. Backups are a Micromatic Open Comb and a couple of Muhle R41s with different handles. Nacet blades. 

Brushes: I still have some boars but they're a faff to prepare. Daily brush is a Yaqi Sagrada Familia which again is pretty close to perfect. 

Soaps: Ah.... long story. I love my Grooming Dept, Fitjar, SV, Pannacrema and Boellis soaps but I frequently use two cheapies - Speick because I love the aroma and Arko because I love the lather. Arko has a strong and rather crude citrus smell but if you leave the top off for a while it improves a lot. 

I only shave every 3 days or so in lockdown so what I have now is pretty future proof. The soaps keep for ages and the hardware is pretty indestructible. No further purchases needed or contemplated. That's in sharp contrast to coffee!!!

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

Oh well, upgraditus has hit again.

Thankfully it's not as severe when it's shaving gear as if it's coffee machines.  The splurge was only £25, with £10 on 100 Astra Platinum blades and £15 on a River lake adjustable (cheap clone of Futur, also seen as Q shave), could have spent less and got it via China but "want it NOW" meant Amazon premium price. A bit like changing beans, grinder and machine all in one go and wondering why the coffee taste isn't quite right, I used the new blades and new razor on the most aggressive setting, then was left with a face that looked a bit like a polka dot scarf.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, AndyDClements said:

Oh well, upgraditus has hit again.

Thankfully it's not as severe when it's shaving gear as if it's coffee machines.  The splurge was only £25, with £10 on 100 Astra Platinum blades and £15 on a River lake adjustable (cheap clone of Futur, also seen as Q shave), could have spent less and got it via China but "want it NOW" meant Amazon premium price. A bit like changing beans, grinder and machine all in one go and wondering why the coffee taste isn't quite right, I used the new blades and new razor on the most aggressive setting, then was left with a face that looked a bit like a polka dot scarf.

Rookie error lol.

 

The futur clone is actually very good and shaves better than the original. The clone is able to be dialed down a bit more.

Try it on a setting of 1 or less. 

I'd never use it on max lol.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just had a call from my brother, to send him the links for blades, the clone, etc. He's had enough of the electric foil thing he uses, giving him horrendous irritation. Really should have added a styptic pencil to the list.😈

To be fair to the clone, I read the reviews and any challenges with build quality seem to be in line with build quality problems on the original. I did see one review (Amazon I think) where the purchaser wouldn't trust how the sprung wires are used to hold the blade, personally I like to look at what I'm doing using a mirror so if the cap had magically dropped off I'd probably not go ahead with that cut.

I went over the face with my existing razor (Menrock) and the same blade just to compare, and it couldn't touch any remaining hair, so yes I probably had gone a bit too aggressive (in the same way that ibrik is a bit more fine than filter grind. Not even as if I need to look presentable, not going anywhere, and anywhere I go I'm hidden behind a mask.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I don’t own one of these, and like a heathen use clippers on my beard. However I used to wet shave with a straight razor when I had the luxury of time. I noticed this blade after googling @Catlady101’s suggestion and can rate the smith (Shigeki Tanaka), as he makes fantastic chefs knives. They are the sharpest I own and very easy to keep that way with the right stones.

https://www.theinvisibleedge.co.uk/straight-razors/japanese-razors/shigeki-tanaka-kamisori-razor

Edited by _HH_
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

That looks ace! Aogami is my favourite steel for chef knives, I prefer my Siro Kamo Aogami super to my SG2, it is easier to get an edge on and I kinda like the simple kuro uchi finish more than the Damascus nowadays.

I think I'd be nervous of the almost square point on that. I wonder what the best way to hold one is? Looks like beautiful craftsmanship though, which is one of the things I love about Japanese blades.

My straight is a vintage Fritz Bracht "Tennis" 5/8 from Solingen circa 1940, extra hollow round point. I can't help but wonder how many faces it's shaved, in wartime Germany and now here, what stories it could tell... that's the cool thing about vintage.

20210320_133542.jpg.f6dda714605dffeb18a9ffa1b1b379f4.jpg



  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • About
    Coffee Forums UK is the UK's premier coffee forum Started in June 2008 by Glenn Watson, we now have more than 24000 mainly UK based members, and welcome more than 3000 members and visitors from around the world each day! With strategic investment and digital expertise from the Jackson Lockhart team (Tait Pollack and Adam Bateman), we are taking Coffee Forums UK to the next level, and are delighted to share the journey with you.

    New Members:
    We are often referred to as the friendliest forum on the web and we look forward to welcoming you onboard. Please read our Terms of Use. We stick by them, existing members please familiarise yourselves with them.


    Advertising

    Coffee Forums Media Kit

    Click Here To Buy Advertising Space 
    £100 p/m when paid yearly, up-to: 690000 banner impressions per month!


    Donate / Sponsor

    Get Your Supporter Badge Today (per year)

    image.png



    Coffee Forums Logo
     




×
×
  • Create New...