• Like 1
  • Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Buy a coffee machine they said, you'll love it they said. Me 5 grand later:    

If you find yourself easily falling into rabbit holes I recommend you don't start looking too closey at shaving brushes.

Orange disposable bic razor Tesco value foam Splash of Old Spice Spray of Brut Watch out ladies 

Posted Images

Sure do although my wife likes me with a beard so I don't all the times.

I use a safety razor of which the name escapes me with shark blades, proraso sandal wood shaving soap and that is about it.

I do like to wear aftershave and tend to go with some sort of Penhaligons fragrance if I am out and about and day to day I like Mont Blanc Individual or CK One Shock even though the branding makes me gag. Great scent though, discontinued now I believe.

www.blackcatcoffee.co.uk

Coffee | Equipment | Accessories | Service & Repair

Fracino | Eureka | Motta | IMS

Trusty Gillette Fusion, Nivea Sensitive gel and a decent moisturiser, Kiehls, Malin + Goetz, I quite like the Clinique For Men one. Before lock down I'd get a wet shave at the Jermyn St Barbers or Taylors in Old Bond St, sometimes get an aftershave cream from there. Don't know when I'll get back there though!

Think I'll be moving to the 'permanent stubble' look though so need to research an electric shaver.

Sage Barista Express.

Where do I start....

Straights.. lots, but favourite shaver is a Filarmonica #14 Square point. Latest is a Wade & Butcher but needs honing. I've got a 7 day set that belonged to a chap from Bletchley Park, Thierrs Issard SRP, Can't remember them all. 

Several Rolls Razors (Use one for travelling alongside the Filly and a Soligen travel razor in plastic case.

Only 2 DE's though. A brass Gilette that will rip your face off and a PAL that feels too mild.

Lots of hones including 2 combi Coticule/Belgian Blues (one lenonged to my late father) and a Charnley Forest given to me by my dad when I first started collecting and using straights. 

A small badger (Tom Thumb apparently) and a vintage boar that belonged to my grandad.

Trumpers Limes shaving soap..

Ironically I have a beard... :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 1

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3  + Niche

Output: Slayer One Group + La Pavoni + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

Got a Rockwell 6C DE with Feather blades.

Also a Dovo Straight razor.

A couple of different Taylor's creams and a Boar bristle brush. Got a few different slates for honing the straight razor.

I never use them really, just trim with one of those Phillips one blade things. It's nice to have options for a proper shave though.

ACS Minima (Beta) with Bianca Paddle -- Reskinned Ceado E8, Niche Zero --- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

WATER CALCULATOR

Gillette Mach3 Sensitive Power Razor  

Gillette sensitive gel 

Beard just starting to grow back on throat 6 months after radiotherapy so this combo is pretty gentle

Rockwell 6C with some bluebeard razor blades.

Citrus kiss shaving cream from Executive shaving.

Whoeevr with lockdown, seem to be using it less than normal.

I have a large collection of vintage Gillette DE razors and a few modern DE razors - stainless and zamac included... I don't really go in for exotic soaps or aftershave - that's not really my thing.... Mostly I use feather blades in mild razors and either Astra's or Derbys in more aggressive ones... I find that sort of pairing is better for my face...

Edited by YeastNCaffeine

Merkur razor - feather blades - Mitchell's wool fat soap (kent badger brush) - alum block - trumpers lime skin food

I'm not really "into" it but that stuff seems to work for me.

https://jazzcoffeestuff.com/

Current Favoured Roasters:
UK: Assembly (London), Round Hill (Bath), PLOT (London)
Else: Gardelli (Italy), Drop (Sweden), Morgon (Sweden), Five Elephant (Germany), Kaffa (Norway)

Proraso pre-shaving cream, after wetting face.

Kent badger brush with Proraso shaving cream (which is the soap but not dried for as long as the stuff in a bowl)

Multi-blade razor Gillette Fusion power. I tried a single blade safety razor but found the 5 blade system was at least as good.

Shave in two directions each time, first with the beard then against it.

Something of a ritual of mine...

Following a hot shower, if not a hot towel...
Art of Shaving or King of Shaves pre-shave oil
Art of Shaving badger brush
Taylor of Old Bond Street shaving cream
1st and 2nd pass (down/up/inner to outer/outer to inner) - Merkur HD with Feather blades (with rinse and re-foam in between)
3rd and 4th pass (down/up/inner to outer/outer to inner) - 1960s Gillette with Wilkinson blades  (with rinse and re-foam in between)
Cold rinse and styptic block
Art of Shaving sandalwood balm

Once in a blue moon I'll do a kaolin face mask too.

Moot at the moment though - I've had a beard for 2 years.

33 minutes ago, -Mac said:

Once in a blue moon I'll do a kaolin face mask too.

Interesting, I've started using face masks this year, makes quite an improvement. Wish I'd started 20 years ago.

Sage Barista Express.

2 minutes ago, CocoLoco said:

Interesting, I've started using face masks this year, makes quite an improvement. Wish I'd started 20 years ago.

Yeah, apart from being fat I reckon it's the next best thing for youthful looking skin. I'm 48 and have been told (quite often) I look late 30s.

I can't recommend the Art of Shaving after shave balm highly enough - you can almost feel it nourishing your skin when you apply it.

• Like 1

i decided to try shaving with a DE after being berated for considering disposables... now i'm on another slope of purchases. I have to say, after some dedication to learn, it's really great

my starter set up is;

• Wilkinson Sword Classic (the shiny butterfly one),
  • Astra blades (100 for £8...)
  • Arko Soap (came free with the blades - its a divisive scent)
  • Edwin Jagger Soap Bowl (Limes & Pomegranate Soap not used yet),
  • Bulldog Beard Oil
  • Bulldog Beard Shampoo and Conditioner
  • Liz Earle After Shaving Moisturiser

i am bowl lathering for now

2000 - Krups Vivo + Whittard hand grinder
2010 - Gaggia Classic + Iberital MC2
2017 - ECM Mechanika IV Profi + Niche Zero
2020 - Londinium R + Niche Zero
Aeropress / V60 / Puck Puck / Cafetière / Moka Pot / Ibrik (كـَنـَكـَة) / Lido E

7 minutes ago, -Mac said:

Yeah, apart from being fat I reckon it's the next best thing for youthful looking skin. I'm 48 and have been told (quite often) I look late 30s.

I can't recommend the Art of Shaving after shave balm highly enough - you can almost feel it nourishing your skin when you apply it.

I'm 42 but can pass for about 30/32 at a pool party, so can a set of my friends as we all train hard, eat well, never really drink any more. But I like the idea of serious skincare now I'm a bit older. I'll check out the Art of Shaving after shave balm, thanks for the rec.

• Like 1

Sage Barista Express.

35 minutes ago, richwade80 said:

i decided to try shaving with a DE after being berated for considering disposables... now i'm on another slope of purchases. I have to say, after some dedication to learn, it's really great

my starter set up is;

• Wilkinson Sword Classic (the shiny butterfly one),
  • Astra blades (100 for £8...)
  • Arko Soap (came free with the blades - its a divisive scent)
  • Edwin Jagger Soap Bowl (Limes & Pomegranate Soap not used yet),
  • Bulldog Beard Oil
  • Bulldog Beard Shampoo and Conditioner
  • Liz Earle After Shaving Moisturiser

i am bowl lathering for now

Arko is great soap.

I have a opened stick of it in the shed "degassing" for use next year!

• Like 1

Currently using Merkur 1904 (OC) but have a 34c on it's way. Nacet blades generally although feather in my 1904 currently as it's very mild. Have an old school gilette that I haven't used.

Soaps  - mainly rotate Stirling and Lather Bros (calle ocho is an amazing sweet tobacco scent, my favourite).

Brushes - I have several.  use my super badger the most. I have a few Omega boars that I haven't even broke in. 

Aftershave - I have matching lotions for some of the lather bros which are great. If I'm using Stirling I use L'oreal barber club lotion, which smells gorgeous. 

Above The Tie (mild) DE safety razor with Merkur blades, a medium soft badger brush and Aesop shaving serum. Does the job in a slow but gentle way. None of that smelly stuff and my wife wouldn’t let me go to pool party whether I looked 30 or 70, more’s the pity.

EK43S-Coffee Burrs-V60-La Pavoni EP-Stagg EKG-Osmio Zero

Gillette aristocrat 1947 (£2 from antique shop, Feathers or Lab blues, home made
unscented shave soap with red deer tallow and nipple cream (that’s cream for nipples not cream from nipples) [emoji851][emoji851][emoji851][emoji851]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How does one get into different products for wet shaving? Resources, websites etc.?

I could shave every 12 hours as my beard grows that quickly. My wife doesn't like beards though so I'd be interested in 'upgrading' from supermarket stuff. Thanks in advance.

Edited by sjm85
  • Like 2

Gaggia Classic with Mr Shades PID, Mazzer Super Jolly (both second hand from this community!)

Have a look at the two or four direction method of shaving, it really makes a difference. I used to sometimes get up abut 4am, travel to London and so had a 5 o'clock shadow by midday, but shaving in multiple directions, along with things like getting the face awake before shaving, meant I could still look clean shaven in the afternoon. There are some very good tutorials on youtube, but for a simple no-cost improvement my first suggestion is rinsing the face in warm water and slightly massaging it before applying any lather/oil/soap, it may not make a lot of difference but it will normally soften the beard and make the hairs stand out a little more, so for no cost it has to be worth it.

34 minutes ago, sjm85 said:

How does one get into different products for wet shaving? Resources, websites etc.?

I could shave every 12 hours as my beard grows that quickly. My wife doesn't like beards though so I'd be interested in 'upgrading' from supermarket stuff. Thanks in advance.

This place is brilliant https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/index.php

Here's the thing about traditional wet shaving - it's all about making it an enjoyable experience rather than a chore. If you just want to get the job done as quickly as possible, it's not what it's all about. 

It's one hell of a learning curve and takes time and patience but very rewarding once you get there. Also very enjoyable. 

• Like 3

In a similar way to coffee... there are plenty of forums and lots on YouTube to check out. I didn’t do this, but wish I did.

I just bought a cheap DE razor to see if I’d get on with it. I used it with whatever shaving cream I had. Then I bought 100 razors of a brand that I hadn’t tried. You can buy razor sampler packs as there is a difference.

I then watched too many videos of men shaving... (Check out Geofatboy and Nick Shaves) and am still very much perfecting the technique. I’m quite enjoying it now.

Don’t give up if you don’t get perfect results straight away. There is some skill to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

2000 - Krups Vivo + Whittard hand grinder
2010 - Gaggia Classic + Iberital MC2
2017 - ECM Mechanika IV Profi + Niche Zero
2020 - Londinium R + Niche Zero
Aeropress / V60 / Puck Puck / Cafetière / Moka Pot / Ibrik (كـَنـَكـَة) / Lido E