IGNORED

Londinium LR24

6 hours ago, MoodyMark said:

For the benefit of others searching, I don't believe you can get a londinium without their engraved logo on the front. No comments here and  I have sent two emails over the last week and a half with no response. Aware it is a one man company so could be on holidays, or in their spam bin, either way no answer. I didn't actually mention why I didn't want the logo, the fact  I find it very conceited of a manufacturer to capitalise their name but put our countries name in lower case (even though some designer may think it is on trend, it is plain disrespectful), so that probably isn't the reason. Writing this I wonder if they are just not willing to sell a machine sans logo? Either way looks like I will miss out on a fine machine.

Ive seen a lot of reasons why one person will or wont buy a machine in my time but not using a capital E for England is certainly a new one. 

The world gets weirder every day. 

Edited by Mrboots2u
  • Like 5
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey all, new here but I thought I would share my workflow on the LR24. So far I am extremely impressed by and really enjoying the machine. I have not seen many video so I thought I would post here so

Ive seen a lot of reasons why one person will or wont buy a machine in my time but not using a capital E for England is certainly a new one.  The world gets weirder every day. 

The key differences are the interface on the app, you have more functions on the LR24 than the LR ( LR users are locked out of certain stuff like the on off time function) the internals are different

4 hours ago, MoodyMark said:

For the benefit of others searching, I don't believe you can get a londinium without their engraved logo on the front. No comments here and  I have sent two emails over the last week and a half with no response. Aware it is a one man company so could be on holidays, or in their spam bin, either way no answer. I didn't actually mention why I didn't want the logo, the fact  I find it very conceited of a manufacturer to capitalise their name but put our countries name in lower case (even though some designer may think it is on trend, it is plain disrespectful), so that probably isn't the reason. Writing this I wonder if they are just not willing to sell a machine sans logo? Either way looks like I will miss out on a fine machine.

Wow Mark, you really are moody 🤣

Mildred, thank you for designers opinion and can see your thoughts. Still would be more comfortable if all was lower case, or both his company and our country was capatilised.

Coffechap, thank you very much, I think you have solved my problem. I have no objection to his brand, just the disrespecting of our country. I will email and ask if I can just have Londinium on it, nothing more. Hopefully that  gets a reply.

DFK41, I for one Don't Fn Know  what you mean?

Mr Boots, you are right, it is a personal reason. My wife and I are from military families, I have lost a brother in law I liked to a war which wasn't ours while he was proudly representing the UK. I don't expect those who haven't served to understand the same respect for their country or ability to give themselves to something bigger. Or the expectation others respect their country. This logo by its capitilisation choice implies the brand is more important than our country.

Above said I can see the other side. The owner is not a citizen of the UK and just makes his goods here. As Coffeechap said, he worries about his brand value not respecting our country, the reason his brand is capitilised and our country isn't. I do note that through his website and facebook page every single mention of his country, New Zealand is capitilised, so he does respect some countries, just not ours. I also notice Niche capitilise China whenever mentioned, why doesn't Londinium capitilise us?

Fez, yes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

'England' is a proper noun so should not be written 'england' - surprising as Reiss is a stickler for grammar. He once wrote a piece way back on the redundancy of using definite articles - I am not kidding - when referring to 'the' Londinium as opposed to just Londinium. Guess he went for lower case England for style rather than grammar. 

Your request for having a Londinium without the wording is likely to fall on deaf ears IMO and is reminiscent of Henry  Ford's answer to whether he would offer a choice of colours for his Model T Ford. His reply, 'customer can have any colour they like so long as it's black'. Ford's choice of black was based solely on it being the fastest drying paint at the time. 

• Like 1

Screenshot 2021-04-29 at 17.29.11.png

Reiss was a resident of the UK for many years.

Long ago they removed most customisation options to streamline, I suspect that plays a big part. 

I agree with the above that nobody is going to sell their machine without their logo though. 

Edited by aaronb
  • Like 1

I honestly think it is a (thoughtless to some, irritating to someone who is keen to have things right, not bothered to others - and each to their own, of course!) style thing. I don’t think Reiss has any sinister reasoning behind the design. There’s a modern trend to make a logo lowercase going on (ebay, amazon etc) maybe ill advised . . . 

@MoodyMark I never noticed the lack of capitalisation before. Now this annoys me, not on grounds of patriotism but grammatical accuracy - aaargh!

The quickest way to get hold of Reiss is when he is active via the live chat feature on his website.

Surely if you feel this strongly about it you should not buy the product - just having one that does not have the logo on should not diminish the slight in your eyes no?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RobW said:

@MoodyMark

Surely if you feel this strongly about it you should not buy the product - just having one that does not have the logo on should not diminish the slight in your eyes no?

I agree. If its so insulting to you, then even without the logo you shouldn't be buying one as everyone else has one with the logo.

I understand, you are patriotic, proudly British. But it's just a logo, it's clearly a design element. I'm sure Reiss isn't sitting at home laughing his head off thinking Londinium is more important than england 😂

Systematic Kid thanks for your words and more background on Reiss. Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and agree with you all. Knowing Reiss is enthusiastic about correct grammar he would be totally aware England is a noun and a country and as such should be capitilised. He chose not too and obviously knows his market and most don't care. Mildred if everything was lowercase I would accept it as  design element, because the brand isn't I can't. I agree this isn't the company for me, I have read the man from new zealand can be scratchy, so I am probably not his perfect client either, probably the reason for no reply. Thank you everyone.

PS Northern Monkey, what a great country we live in, where we can safely sit (me still with all my limbs) and pontificate over first world problems.  I will remember to thank someone presently working on the last Saturday in June that I can be a w*nker over spelling my countries name correctly.

On 14/08/2020 at 15:51, MoodyMark said:

Mildred, thank you for designers opinion and can see your thoughts. Still would be more comfortable if all was lower case, or both his company and our country was capatilised.

Coffechap, thank you very much, I think you have solved my problem. I have no objection to his brand, just the disrespecting of our country. I will email and ask if I can just have Londinium on it, nothing more. Hopefully that  gets a reply.

DFK41, I for one Don't Fn Know  what you mean?

Mr Boots, you are right, it is a personal reason. My wife and I are from military families, I have lost a brother in law I liked to a war which wasn't ours while he was proudly representing the UK. I don't expect those who haven't served to understand the same respect for their country or ability to give themselves to something bigger. Or the expectation others respect their country. This logo by its capitilisation choice implies the brand is more important than our country.

Above said I can see the other side. The owner is not a citizen of the UK and just makes his goods here. As Coffeechap said, he worries about his brand value not respecting our country, the reason his brand is capitilised and our country isn't. I do note that through his website and facebook page every single mention of his country, New Zealand is capitilised, so he does respect some countries, just not ours. I also notice Niche capitilise China whenever mentioned, why doesn't Londinium capitilise us?

Fez, yes.

Wrong place to get your question answered . And I feel we have moved from a question of can I get a machine manufactured the way I want to some obscure discussion on pride and respect for our country . 
good luck finding a machine that fits your criteria , you won’t find an answer to your last question here ( we are a coffee forum ) 

• Like 1
On 14/08/2020 at 10:50, dfk41 said:

@MoodyMark Since when has the UK been called Londinium? The earliest meaning was Roman London matey

Indeed. The Roman link between the name & case characters looks like the most logical explanation for this choice.

If you feel the Londinium machines don't respect England, what are the alternatives? A German Profitec or Italian Bosco if you're set on lever?

I assume you're not cross-shopping with a Fracino-branded machine, and as far as I'm aware you're out of luck when it comes to supporting England otherwise.

I've always thought "made in x" displayed prominently on any product was a point of national pride - England or otherwise. Capitalized or otherwise.

Edited by Mister_Tad
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, MartinR said:

Has anyone compared the taste of coffee with LR24, Profitec 800 or Bosco?

Wysłane z mojego SM-N950F przy użyciu Tapatalka

No but compared it to an original L1 and quickmill veloce 

16 hours ago, MartinR said:

@coffeechap which machine make better espresso?

Wysłane z mojego SM-N950F przy użyciu Tapatalka

It all depends what roast levels you enjoy, for all roast levels the LR24 is hands down the best machine of the bunch, if your preference is towards the darker stuff then you reall won’t be doing that machine justice, as the other two would be fine, I have also owned a Bosco for a couple of years which is a one group commercial machine with a larger boiler (6litres) it did well with darker roasts as well but just wasn’t there for me on lighter stuff.

• Like 3