Jason11

Leaving Osmio Zero I used for 10 days

Hi guys,

Does anyone know if it’s OK to leave the Osmio Zero switched off for 10 days with water in it ? I don’t want to leave it switched on and the manual doesn’t cover this scenario. I guess it would be a good idea to flush some water through afterwards.

Cheers

Not sure if you have to or not but Osmio have a video on their channel about how to empty it if you’re going away for 3-4 days. I guess you don’t want water sitting in anything for 10 days really. 

• Like 2

I rather keep the tank full before I leave and have a robotic arm installed front of it to press twice daily and dispense some water until I come back lol

Kidding.

This shouldn't take more than 10mins to do.

But what happens if you leave it off with water in the machine not the tank, then on your return, fill the tank and discard a liter or so water away?

• Like 1

Gaggia Classic 2010 PID(IMS 200µm shower screen&Brass Dispersion Plate&OPV&Steam Wand Modded) | Kinu M47 V3 Niche Zero White | Bottomless Portafilter&VST Ridgeless 15gr and 18gr  | MouMou 58mm Distribution Tool | 2X 64oz Airscapes & CoffeeVac

I'm not in any way suggesting I'm right about this but my guess is that the filtered water in the internal bladder (approx 1 litre) should be drawn off because once filtered, it has no chlorine etc, so won't be good to leave sat there. And the water in the reservoir, if half used, will be high TDS so it will make the tank all crusty at the waterline. I don't know what Osmio recommends but I will be using all what's inside and then give the water tank a good wash and dry, and put back in place to keep the connections clean. The whole thing then will have next to nothing in it except residual moisture in the pipes. Once back, refill, maybe discard the first cupful of RO and I think you're good to go.

___

Eat, drink and be merry

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Same applies really for coffee machines. What do do if we leave the machine alone for 10 days or more, if the water has no chlorine? Any risk of bacterial growth, specially with SS boilers?

Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Good point Alberto, I guess it's a similar situation. I normally empty the reservoir and wash it before going away (I do that anyway every couple of weeks). As for what's in the boiler, there's not much you can do, especially with a DB like the R58 where emptying the service boiler means removal. However the temperatures involved is the big difference. RO from the Osmio is going to be ambient unless you change to 'boil', so more care is needed. I think I just rely on the fact that anything coming out of the R58 has been heated to at least 105°C (brew boiler, obviously service boiler even higher) and that's going to have to do.

___

Eat, drink and be merry

• Like 2

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Same applies really for coffee machines. What do do if we leave the machine alone for 10 days or more, if the water has no chlorine? Any risk of bacterial growth, specially with SS boilers?
In the boiler the water is sterile so I would think that would be ok for a while. Pre boiler I think you make a good point. I'd not really considered this before.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Empty Osmio as shown and I would discard the first full tankful it filters (4l).

You should always run your kitchen cold water tap a fair bit after a long holiday. 

Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 1

Reviews: https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ YouTube channel: https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl

I do this as a hobby, I'm not in business and receive no payment for my work a full disclosure is, and always has been, on my review and YouTube sites. Oh, I agree with @dfk41 quite often...well sometimes.

Didn’t know this re filtered water / tap. All good advice! Thanks all! 

Although the more we get into things the more there are things to do... err such is life 🤷‍♂️

Osmio Zero looks interesting though will check it out...