Sam7036

Gaggia classic Vs 2019 model

Hi I've found a gaggia 2012 model that's got the rancilio steam wand and wondered how that compared to the gaggia 2019 model considering its £250 cheaper I realise I won't be getting the warrantee however that extra 250 would comfortably upgrade me to the niche zero grinder (which is the one I really want) with my budget so basically I'm looking for what you would recommend spend the extra 250 for the new model or is the 2012 model nearly as good and so not worth it to get the new as they're built to last

6 minutes ago, Sam7036 said:

Hi I've found a gaggia 2012 model that's got the rancilio steam wand and wondered how that compared to the gaggia 2019 model considering its £250 cheaper I realise I won't be getting the warrantee however that extra 250 would comfortably upgrade me to the niche zero grinder (which is the one I really want) with my budget so basically I'm looking for what you would recommend spend the extra 250 for the new model or is the 2012 model nearly as good and so not worth it to get the new as they're built to last

It’s the general consensus that you are better off with any pre-2015 model over any of the models from 2015 onwards.

you can adjust the OPV on those, and, if it’s fitted with a Rancilio wand.... happier days! (Ps: I had one of those, made in Romania, with a Rancilio wand). It’s not great on the steam front, but as far as a Classic goes, it will do the trick nicely. I believe things improve dramatically if you fit a PID. 

Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

That's pricey for a 9 year old machine.

Second hand Gaggias are great if you are handy enough to tinker with them but if not, then getting someone to do it for you (and an old machine needs maintenance) the costs can add up.

@ratty has a sideline in these so perhaps pm him.

I'd be worried about boiler pitting and corrosion in old machines personally. You can clean them out and replace the boiler but it gets pricey.

Whilst the new Vs are similar to the originals, you will get a warranty etc and they do hold value well.

Thank you guys I'll send him a message and see what he says 

Posted (edited)

@Sam7036 - Personally I would go for the old one especially if you can haggle them down, the new 2019 ones likely need to be modded if you want to use a timer plug to warm up or leave on all day to avoid the EU energy efficiency auto cut off.

I believe the new over pressure goes into the drip tray not the tank, annoying if you use bottled water as it ups the level of consumption a fair bit.

Edited by Northern_Monkey

That's good to know thank you what to you believe a fair price to haggle to would be for one that looks in very good quality

Very good condition?

Too much imho. You'd be looking at £200 plus for a pristine V1 I believe.

That's good to know thank you what to you believe a fair price to haggle to would be for one that looks in very good quality

You previously mentioned that it was about £250 less than a Classic 2019 - so I’m assuming it’s around £150, which is a fair price for a good condition machine.

Pre-lockdown you could get a good usable machine for about £120-140, less if you were lucky in the local classifieds/gumtree and were willing to take a risk on history.

Now good machines are going for higher prices - so £150 is pretty fair and compared with many prices, on the low side.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of everything: machines, grinders, roaster, beans, tampers, baskets, blah, blah

However - Too much is never enough!