Pablo El Beano

Whats Next For Niche?

We are already seeing some similar single dosers popping up on the market in the prosumer price bracket, so now 18 months or so down the track, the Zero does seem to have gained a bit of a following and has led the charge in its 'niche'. Its definitely a reliable bit of kit (from my own experience and from what I'm hearing from others) thanks to Martin and his teams engineering chops, and quite possibly it has been the 'game changer' that some called it back in the early days.

What do you think could/should/would be next from these guys? What would you like to see in a Zero V2 if there was one? What about accessories? What could they add to the line up that would make you happy? 

Right now with my bean change all the time, my Clima pro is nearing it's exit sharpish to much waste. So something flat and single dose would be great.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

1 minute ago, Jony said:

Right now with my bean change all the time, my Clima pro is nearing it's exit sharpish to much waste. So something flat and single dose would be great.

I’ve read a bit on the conical vs flats debate. Depends on what day of the week the coin flips on that one. Subjective I guess. I can’t see how it makes a difference myself. Possibly just size? 

This is not a debate, something flat off them 83 plus they have conical already. Not really a lot to choose from that don't cost a fortune

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

11 minutes ago, Jony said:

A Monolith alternative in a reasonable price bracket? Count me in.

ACS Vesuvius      |      Niche Zero      |      AeroPress      |      Porlex Mini

There just needs to be a well aligned single dose flat burr grinder on the market to mirror the Niche. Doesn't necessarily need to hit the same price point but currently (I may be wrong) there is nothing under about £1500 that is actually a proper single doser and not just an old model that a company has done some basic tweaking to make it SD. 

52 minutes ago, Jony said:

This is not a debate, something flat off them 83 plus they have conical already. Not really a lot to choose from that don't cost a fortune

I wasn’t suggesting this was a debate. I was just wanting to know why Flats are desirable or preferred by some. 

Just now, Pablo El Beano said:

I wasn’t suggesting this was a debate. I was just wanting to know why Flats are desirable or preferred by some. 

Generally accepted to be better for light roasts and conics for medium/dark. 

Probably not much in it but if you prefer light roasts then you probably want to highlight the characteristics of lighter roast beans and flats seem to do that more than conics. 

• Like 2

It would be cool to see 83mm+ vertical or 45 degree flat burrs to help with the single dosing.

Not sure if it would be too big though for their market, if the motor would have to be a lot more powerful to start loaded with beans?

Personally I think they should first do their cups in 49, 51 and 54mm sizes as accessories first so you can buy separately. They would sell loads of them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Northern_Monkey said:

Personally I think they should first do their cups in 49, 51 and 54mm sizes as accessories first so you can buy separately. They would sell loads of them.

Funnily enough I emailed them yesterday about this and was told that they are in the pipeline but no date as of yet. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Northern_Monkey said:

It would be cool to see 83mm+ vertical or 45 degree flat burrs to help with the single dosing.

Not sure if it would be too big though for their market, if the motor would have to be a lot more powerful to start loaded with beans?

I was thinking similar. Big flat burrs at 45 degrees or vertical would be awesome, but I can't imagine it being possible at any kind of sensible price point!

And can't imagine it being in such a compact design. 

That said, the Niche broke the rules a bit on what you can get at the price point, so maybe it's possible... 

Come on Martin & James, I believe in you 😉

Lelit MaraX, Niche Zero, MBK Feldgrind, Gene Cafe 101, several brewers... 

1 hour ago, Pablo El Beano said:

We are already seeing some similar single dosers popping up on the market in the prosumer price bracket

We are? Similar to Niche? Which ones? What price constitutes 'prosumer'? Niche £500 is budget, then it's what, the Ceado E5SD at £950? E37SD at £1700? There aren't many single dose specific below that are there?

Sage Barista Express.

9 minutes ago, CocoLoco said:

We are? Similar to Niche? Which ones? What price constitutes 'prosumer'? Niche £500 is budget, then it's what, the Ceado E5SD at £950? E37SD at £1700? There aren't many single dose specific below that are there?

This looks promising: https://www.option-o.com/shop/lagom-p64

8 minutes ago, Pablo El Beano said:

It does I agree,  but that's not similar to Niche, that's a $1585 + shipping + duties grinder. That's a E37SD rival.

What the market really needs is someone like Eureka to bring out a SD specific grinder at the £300ish mark, maybe Specialita price. Not sure if you are familiar with mobile phones, but companies concentrate on the high end, the flagship devices. They pay little attention to mid and budget in the West. Until now. OnePlus have just bought out a high spec, mid range phone and it's exploded. In the SD grinder market we start with a £500 Niche or force a Specialita, which isn't really designed for it. Then we go to £950.

Given the massive increase in coffee interest over the last decade I'm surprised the big companies with finance behind them have not brought one to market. Certainly now with Covid having a lasting effect on society and the changes in the economy, I would have thought cheaper home coffee would be an exploitable market.

Having said all that, 'proper coffee' starts at the Gaggia Classic + grinder or Sage market at £500ish, your next jump is the £1500 MaraX/Minima + grinder market (new this is, I get there's a second hand market to tinker with). There isn't all these incremental steps, maybe grinders reflect that too.

Sage Barista Express.

@CocoLoco - We haven’t heard much about the E5SD on the forum really, seems like a lot of money for SJ sized burrs.

Do you know if anyone has done a write up on it? I’m yet to be convinced about it representing a value for money...

5 minutes ago, Northern_Monkey said:

@CocoLoco - We haven’t heard much about the E5SD on the forum really, seems like a lot of money for SJ sized burrs.

Do you know if anyone has done a write up on it? I’m yet to be convinced about it representing a value for money...

No I haven't outside Whole Latte Love (who seem to love Ceado) and a few Youtube videos, none of which I would say are authoritative. That the guys with more expensive set ups on this forum don't talk about the E5SD might tell us something. Tbh I'm not experienced enough to know about that end of market, I'm still at the beginner stage. I'm looking at a Specialita but coming from single dosing so I am interested in the Niche and it's rivals, just there aren't any at the price point!

Sage Barista Express.

You need a good motor for big flats. I suppose engineering to mount such motor also isn’t as easy.

I wish there was a big flat grinder that’s still compact and has reasonable price tag. This would definitely open up opportunities for most who want to experience what the big flats are about. Not everyone can afford Monoliths - well, I can’t.

21 minutes ago, PPapa said:

You need a good motor for big flats. I suppose engineering to mount such motor also isn’t as easy.

I wish there was a big flat grinder that’s still compact and has reasonable price tag. This would definitely open up opportunities for most who want to experience what the big flats are about. Not everyone can afford Monoliths - well, I can’t.

Not a big flat per see, but shame no one has a Lagom O , to offer an user opinion on. 

• Like 1

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Not a big flat per see, but shame no one has a Lagom O , to offer an user opinion on. 
Give me a couple weeks

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Santos doesn’t get much mention here either. Could be had for half the price of a niche.

5 minutes ago, Planter said:

Give me a couple weeks

Couldn't help yourself😜

• Like 1

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

Give me a couple weeks

Detailed review, same day as delivery....... chop chop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2