CocoLoco

Americano beans

I don't like espresso. I only drink Americano with milk. I am sure there are some other forum members, living in shame like myself. As such, I just want to draw people's attention to Kiss The Hippo. I've had two beans from them - George St Blend (caramel - chocolate - red berry) and Donna Blend (caramel - dark chocolate -pecan).

After being in the coffee game 6 months and buying from a different roaster every 2 weeks, I can say these two beans make the best Americano I've had so far. Of course I've many roasters to go, but atm one of these will probably become my 'go-to' bean, once I stop experimenting. They really are tasty.

So if people are wondering what a good Americano with milk bean is, I can wholeheartedly recommend these two. If anyone has a bean they specifically think is good for Americano, ones that go well with a tall hot water and some nice whole milk, please feel free to add to this post, I'd love to get a list going.

Sage Barista Express.

You'd be surprised, there are some very august members on here who drink americano with milk. I can second KtH, having visited their cafe in Richmond numerous times. Glad you've found your go-to bean.

___
Eat, drink and be merry

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

11 hours ago, hotmetal said:

You'd be surprised, there are some very august members on here who drink americano with milk. I can second KtH, having visited their cafe in Richmond numerous times. Glad you've found your go-to bean.

___
Eat, drink and be merry

They have a place in Richmond? I looked on the website and couldn't see that, do you know what it's called? Only ask as I have family in Barnes and I'm down there from time to time.

Sage Barista Express.

They have a cafe in Richmond, yes. Kiss the hippo. On George Street next to Zara home.

Gaggia Classic 2010 PID(IMS 200µm shower screen&Brass Dispersion Plate&OPV&Steam Wand Modded) | Kinu M47 V3 Niche Zero White | Bottomless Portafilter&VST Ridgeless 15gr and 18gr  | MouMou 58mm Distribution Tool | 2X 64oz Airscapes & CoffeeVac

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Inspector said:

They have a cafe in Richmond, yes. Kiss the hippo. On George Street next to Zara home.

'Kiss the hippo. On George Street' - d'oh, face palm emoji! Feel like I should have been able to deduce that. Well, it was late tonight and...er...early this morning.

Thanks for the info. Once things get back to normal I'll pay it a visit.

EDIT: In checking that out there's a Kiss The Hippo cafe in Fitzrovia too. Great to know.

Edited by CocoLoco
  • Like 1

Sage Barista Express.

I only drink AMERICANO; black no sugar so it’s all about the bean.

After years of tasting I only now have a dark roast: Indian Monsooned Malabar from my local roastery. Strong but low in acidity. Absolutely delicious.

Get some!!

9 hours ago, Gilly said:

I only drink AMERICANO; black no sugar so it’s all about the bean.

After years of tasting I only now have a dark roast: Indian Monsooned Malabar from my local roastery. Strong but low in acidity. Absolutely delicious.

Get some!!

Good call, thanks, I will, I've seen Indian Monsoon Malabar recommended a few times. I think Coffee Compass do it, maybe I'll try theirs.

Sage Barista Express.

Monsooned Malabar from Mancoco in Manchester is awesome. My favourite. Give them a try, they do mail order.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'm also an Americano man so I'll give them a go.

• Like 1

Quickmill Andreja Premium---Eric's E61 Thermometer---Eureka Mignon---MBK 58.35mm---Grindenstein

3 minutes ago, NJD1977 said:

Monsooned Malabar from Mancoco in Manchester is awesome. My favourite. Give them a try, they do mail order.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'm also an Americano man so I'll give them a go.

Thanks for the rec! After Black Cat I'll do IMM from Mancoco next.

• Like 1

Sage Barista Express.

Thanks for the rec! After Black Cat I'll do IMM from Mancoco next.
I've never seen crema like it. It's like pouring a mini shot of guiness. It's very very dark and earthy/chocolatey. It's also very easy to pull a good shot with. I've tried to cock it up before and it just isn't possible.

Quickmill Andreja Premium---Eric's E61 Thermometer---Eureka Mignon---MBK 58.35mm---Grindenstein

I don't like espresso. I only drink Americano with milk. I am sure there are some other forum members, living in shame like myself. As such, I just want to draw people's attention to Kiss The Hippo. I've had two beans from them - George St Blend (caramel - chocolate - red berry) and Donna Blend (caramel - dark chocolate -pecan).
After being in the coffee game 6 months and buying from a different roaster every 2 weeks, I can say these two beans make the best Americano I've had so far. Of course I've many roasters to go, but atm one of these will probably become my 'go-to' bean, once I stop experimenting. They really are tasty.
So if people are wondering what a good Americano with milk bean is, I can wholeheartedly recommend these two. If anyone has a bean they specifically think is good for Americano, ones that go well with a tall hot water and some nice whole milk, please feel free to add to this post, I'd love to get a list going.
Thanks for the recommendation. Just started a bag of their Donna blend. Very impressed. Got the dial all wrong, about 60seconds for an espresso but still very drinkable. Poured my hot water in and its very nice as an Americano.

Properly old school Italian flavour. Just what I like.