tripleshot

Ridiculous idea: Using steam wand for steaming custard

Is this totally nuts? I'm a foodie as well as coffee obsessed and I've always wondered if putting a steam wand to a custard (which is really still liquid but way thicker than milk) would create a smoother, creamier dessert. But I've never been brave enough to go through with it. Is it really a nuts idea? Provided one purges and cleans the wand immediately after, can anyone see why any matter would get stuck inside the wand? In other words, should the thickness of the liquid being steamed affect the cleaning routine in any way or otherwise damage the machine? Has anyone ever tried steaming anything other than milk?

I hear people do scrambled eggs.... I stick to using the right tools for the job. Do I want to put custard or eggs on my coffee machine, even if I can wipe it clean? No thanks. 

If you do decide to have a go, do let us know. I would at least remove the steam tip to make sure there’s no caked nonsense behind it.

Possible but I wouldn't fancy it myself. As said, it's been done to scramble eggs before (and I believe there are videos on youtube) but it's a case of 'you do it first and I'll watch' :popcorn:

• Haha 1

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3  + Niche

Output: Slayer One Group + La Pavoni + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

Coffee and Custard, now there's an interesting idea!

17 minutes ago, tripleshot said:

Is this totally nuts? I'm a foodie as well as coffee obsessed and I've always wondered if putting a steam wand to a custard (which is really still liquid but way thicker than milk) would create a smoother, creamier dessert.

Fantastic idea, I look forward to hearing about the results and seeing them on video if possible.

P.S. If you don't wear glasses you may want to pop some safety goggles on...not sure if it's necessary but seems like an idea ;)

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

I think it is a great idea and I hope you try it out. t is a solid theory but where it falls down, is will it make good custard? When I used to make ice cream, and I tried many methods the best custard based ice cream always came from regulating the temperature so that the custard thickened over 5 minutes or so. Obviously that was easy on a hob but I think it might be a bit severe. I would aim low and start off with a packet custard mix before you move onto the egg yolk, sugar, milk etc approach, then if it does not work out you are not wasting expensive ingredients. I would personally perfect my craft before videoing it, then claim this was the first time you tried it as no one will know better. You might struggle though, incorporating the lumps 

• Like 1

In my experience there are not many things in life that aren't enhanced with either bacon or custard. That's all I have to say on this subject.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

45 minutes ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

I hear people do scrambled eggs.... I stick to using the right tools for the job. Do I want to put custard or eggs on my coffee machine, even if I can wipe it clean? No thanks. 

If you do decide to have a go, do let us know. I would at least remove the steam tip to make sure there’s no caked nonsense behind it.

You've not seen the many videos taking a heat gun to chocolate then.... 😀

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, tripleshot said:

You've not seen the many videos taking a heat gun to chocolate then.... 😀

Last time I used a heat gun I ended up in Minor Injuries unit. I'm surprised I managed to use a La Pavoni - with a very hot exposed boiler - for over 2 years without any incidents! 😂

My main concern would be the non-newtonian nature of the custard. It shear thickens, so as you try to get it to flow it will resist it and get more viscous. The force from the steam may just cause it to "seize up". I echo the safety goggles message on this one, it may just form one big bubble and blast out of the jug.

Only one way to find out though...

Looking forward to pictures.

• Like 3

I make Horlicks with the steam wand - mix the paste in the jug, add the milk and steam !

By the way if you have never had coffee custard you are missing out, just add coffee granules (add to taste) to the made custard = transformed and very nom nom...........

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lelit Mara PL62 with wood upgrade - Mignon Specialita (Chrome) - Osmio Zero (White) - Technivorm Moccamaster - Bialetti 3 & 6 cup Moka Pots - Asso Jack - Ceramic Airscapes. 

3 minutes ago, hubcap said:

I make Horlicks with the steam wand - mix the paste in the jug, add the milk and steam !

By the way if you have never had coffee custard you are missing out, just add coffee granules (add to taste) to the made custard = transformed and very nom nom...........

Coffee granules . . . 🙀

• Haha 1

Profitec Pro 600, Niche Zero, 1Zpresso JX Pro, Osmio Zero, vast stock of unused bottled water . . .

Thank you all. I will try this with my DeLonghi bean to cup first so as not to soil my new proper espresso machine arriving next week.

Coffee custard is amazing! In fact I am planning to use every ounce of trial espresso coffee from my new machine for desserts -- coffee and walnut mousse springs to mind, or coffee and cardamon. None will go to waste.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ozzyjohn said:

Coffee granules . . . 🙀

Lol - never tried with anything else tbh - it's only custard 😉

Lelit Mara PL62 with wood upgrade - Mignon Specialita (Chrome) - Osmio Zero (White) - Technivorm Moccamaster - Bialetti 3 & 6 cup Moka Pots - Asso Jack - Ceramic Airscapes. 

3 hours ago, DavecUK said:

P.S. If you don't wear glasses you may want to pop some safety goggles on...not sure if it's necessary but seems like an idea ;)

Maybe a blast screen too

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Skizz said:

Maybe a blast screen too

Got a visor I use for sanding.... and plastic overalls for decorating....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

True custard would risk getting scrambled eggs as the heat is so concentrated into the tiny area where the steam is hitting it.

If you're talking cornflour based custard (IIRC Mr Bird created to deal with his wife's allergy of eggs) then I think you could end up with the problems called out before, and a safety issue as the larger bubbles pop splashing hot custard.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChilledMatt said:

In my experience there are not many things in life that aren't enhanced with either bacon or custard. That's all I have to say on this subject.

Good point well made - "either" being crucial in this context.

Because sadly bacon isn't enhanced by addiction of custard nor custard by bacon

(It goes without saying that bacon is definitely enhanced by more bacon)

• Like 2

There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Manic Obsession"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expobar Brewtus DB, Mazzer SJ, Sowden, V60, Aeropress and all sorts

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently enjoying LSOL

1 hour ago, hubcap said:

Lol - never tried with anything else tbh - it's only custard 😉

I am now thinking of of a nice chocolate sponge with some espresso enhanced custard . . . 

It won’t be today, but I’ll try to remember to report back when I’ve tried it.

Regards,
John

Profitec Pro 600, Niche Zero, 1Zpresso JX Pro, Osmio Zero, vast stock of unused bottled water . . .

Good point well made - "either" being crucial in this context.
Because sadly bacon isn't enhanced by addiction of custard nor custard by bacon
(It goes without saying that bacon is definitely enhanced by more bacon)

And custard by more custard, too.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

ACS Vesuvius      |      Niche Zero      |      AeroPress      |      Porlex Mini

I've decided to try steam cleaning the engine of my wifes car with my espresso machine...what do you guys think?

• Like 1

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

4 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

I've decided to try steam cleaning the engine of my wifes car with my espresso machine...what do you guys think?

Cheaper, and quicker, to just knock a screwdriver through the top hose I suspect. . . 
Need to warm the car up first, obviously 🙄 

1 minute ago, Ozzyjohn said:

Cheaper, and quicker, to just knock a screwdriver through the top hose I suspect. . . 
Need to warm the car up first, obviously 🙄 

I could just put the machine on the engine...play with the OPV and wait for it to explode (I think it works even better on a Gaggia Classic)....BANG and the dirt is gone! ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DavecUK said:

Have you ever tried getting the old banger to make coffee......... or the wife?

• Haha 1

There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Manic Obsession"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expobar Brewtus DB, Mazzer SJ, Sowden, V60, Aeropress and all sorts

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently enjoying LSOL