IGNORED

La Pavoni owners - What grinder have you?

As title really! 
The La Pavoni has really exposed that the mignon is an ok grinder but has inconsistency at finer grinds giving rise to an uneven grind not good enough for the La Pavoni.

So I’m interested in what grinders you have paired with your LP and whether you noted a difference. 
I am finding the shots are great with low grown less dense beans that the require a coarser grind, but it loses the plot a bit with lighter roasts  

I have a Niche, it works well!

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

11 minutes ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

I have a Niche, it works well!

Yeh, I'm edging closer to a Niche. 
Did you see the grind distribution 'experiment' Spromethius did with the Niche and Cruve sieve? 
Pretty much no fines or boulders, impressive!

26 minutes ago, TomHughes said:

Yeh, I'm edging closer to a Niche. 
Did you see the grind distribution 'experiment' Spromethius did with the Niche and Cruve sieve? 
Pretty much no fines or boulders, impressive!

I pretty much took on face value based on DavecUK. Looked good, single dose. A winner all around. Having had other grinders and tried to single dose them, I know the pain. I also dislike wasting coffee with hopper fed grinders needing a purge due to retention. Then went manual, Kinu M68, which was great, very fast grinding, but it was a bit messy due to static. 

The Niche Zero solved all of those problems. A winner all round IMHO.

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

I used a La Cimbali Magnum which was converted for single dosing. It's a great grinder and produced some excellent shots. I've been using the Niche since it came out and also does a great job. 

I have come to the realisation that I struggle to get good shots from light roasts. I'm not sure Pavonis are best suited to them or the Niche isn't or it's just my poor technique. For me and my tastebuds I get the best results from omniroasts with the Pavoni. 

47 minutes ago, Nopapercup said:

I used a La Cimbali Magnum which was converted for single dosing. It's a great grinder and produced some excellent shots. I've been using the Niche since it came out and also does a great job. 

I have come to the realisation that I struggle to get good shots from light roasts. I'm not sure Pavonis are best suited to them or the Niche isn't or it's just my poor technique. For me and my tastebuds I get the best results from omniroasts with the Pavoni. 

I do wonder about the same thing... (Niche + Pavoni) - You are not alone. I have to say the LSOL subscription works wonders for me. 🙂 

Edited by MediumRoastSteam
  • Like 1

It worked well with an Aergrind, SJ, Niche and EK for me.

Being more vigilant with the temps and pressures paid off, getting a Niche gave the best cost benefit ratio in terms of grinders though.

Love my EK but it is a bit ridiculous in a fun sledge hammer to crack a nut kind of way...

17 minutes ago, coffeechap said:

It’s just about letting the temp get up a little on the pavoni with lighter roasts which is not that difficult on the la pavoni 

Exactly what I do! 

8 hours ago, coffeechap said:

It’s just about letting the temp get up a little on the pavoni with lighter roasts which is not that difficult on the la pavoni 

How hot?
I must admit I'm having a tough time keeping the group cool. 
After a flush of the group and getting rid of all the air etc. it's often hitting 90-95, which would mean that the water coming through isn't going to get much of a drop down by the group acting as a heatsink. 

I like using manual grinders with my Pavoni just to make the process all manual but also Major, Royal do the job :)

1ZPresso K-Plus is great form dialing with Pavoni

2 minutes ago, Northern_Monkey said:

@TomHughes - When I bought mine off Dave he mentioned some people use a damp tea cloth or have one in the freezer, which is a handy trick to have.

I found that it can really help drop the group temp quite quickly, also locking in a cold portafilter can reduce it slightly as well.

I actually spray mine with water. But it rapidly shoots back up as the group is being continually heated by the steam.

is yours pre-mill?

I believe the post mill are water heated instead? So they don’t continually heat more and more due to steam.

I’m tempted to try the mod where the intake is blocked and just water is used to heat like on the post mill 

2 hours ago, Northern_Monkey said:

@TomHughes - Yep, you are right it’s a post millennium one.

Yeh I am thinking of doing the dipper mod essentially sticking this in the back of the group 

https://www.theespressoshop.co.uk/en/La-Pavoni-Lever-Plastic-Boiler-Pipe-Connector---371132/m-2231.aspx

The converting the pipe to allow it to be water heated. 

Don't suppose you have one of these kicking around dave? @coffeechap

I have a HG-1 which fits nicely with the manual ethos.

I use a damp cloth if I need to quickly cool down the group, and then I use a simple temperature controller which switches on and off a small fan to keep the temp steady at 75c

• Like 1
2 hours ago, GlenW said:

I have a HG-1 which fits nicely with the manual ethos.

I use a damp cloth if I need to quickly cool down the group, and then I use a simple temperature controller which switches on and off a small fan to keep the temp steady at 75c

Glen, would you mind posting a pic of your setup?
How are you doing the temp controlling? 

I've been using a mazzer super jolly and it's been great to be honest. It's been half heartedly modified to single dose.

Got a niche coming in September which I'm very much looking forward to.