IGNORED

Light roast divine Ethiopian Sidamo issues

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There are two main compounds of concern in coffee. Aflatoxin B1 (known to be carcinogenic) and Ochratoxin A (thought to be carcinogenic). ALL green coffee has the Aspergillus fungus and other mycotxin

Grass and grapefruit probably! Looks like the 'roasting' consisted of the bloke holding a handful of greens in one hand and a cigarette in the other, thinking "what shall I do with these?" Sent from

Vote to lock that rank in, irrespective of post count... 

Posted Images

Thanks all, have emailed roaster to see what they say. Am particularly interested that quite a few folk seem to think the roast is that light it could be unhealthy!?  I'll have to look this up.  For all those that asked questions about my kit, I have finally found the signature section and updated this to make things easier for all.

Appreciated.  Moved on to some El Salvador now....

2 hours ago, Simon Richardson said:

Thanks all, have emailed roaster to see what they say. Am particularly interested that quite a few folk seem to think the roast is that light it could be unhealthy!?  I'll have to look this up.  For all those that asked questions about my kit, I have finally found the signature section and updated this to make things easier for all.

Appreciated.  Moved on to some El Salvador now....

There are two main compounds of concern in coffee. Aflatoxin B1 (known to be carcinogenic) and Ochratoxin A (thought to be carcinogenic). ALL green coffee has the Aspergillus fungus and other mycotxin forming things. The roasting process destroys these compounds (not completely but enough so the effect is negligible). When I teach people how to roast I am quite specific about the temperatures and durations required to decompose these compounds. An excerpt from my notes for course attendees is below.

Roast levels, (always ensure ochratoxin A (OTA) (stable to 180C) and aflatoxin B1 (Stable to 160C) is destroyed….approx 2-3 min at 190C+ ensures destruction

That coffee does not look as if it spent 2-3 min at 190C+ (because if it had it would have finished 1st crack) although the computer screen and photos can be deceptive I guess....but it does look horrible and I would stop drinking it. I am also shocked at how light the coffee puck is!! Personally I would move on and try some other roasters.

P.S. I was very concerned a few years ago for the trend of drinking green coffee, white coffee and the ever lighter roasting styles to turn coffee into something that "isn't coffee".

Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I don’t like – Sticks and Stones, beans that are sour, green…or rancid (horrible). Quakers hide until you roast them, then they scream out at you in the cooling tray, pick em out and flick them in the bin.. Lifes too short for bad coffee!

@DavecUK - Last year at Coffee London I saw someone bring out a small zip lock bag of greens to the MBK demo stand and ask if the Aergrind could grind them for brew.

It was quite amusing to watch the flutter of “just why on earth would you” vs. the “customer is always right” flit across the face of the company’s owner for a split second! 😂

Edited by Northern_Monkey
  • Like 1
27 minutes ago, Simon Richardson said:

To be fair to the roasters their response was bin it, and they’d send me some more to try.

Was it "bin it we'll send you something different to appease you" or "wow we messed up can't believe that made it through QC and out the door we'll go back and change some processes so we don't distribute bioweapons via the royal courier again", because if it's not the second I'd not drink anything else they're offering. 

I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of this coffee so we can see if it's been sarcastically roasted through second crack.

In all seriousness it probably is a QC issue unless the positive reviews are fake.

Here goes. For espresso, this is still too light for me - but it does look more like coffee. I’ll try another brew method later. My first two were too fast, thin and sour but I’ve got bored and need my morning coffee so put in some Italian job (first try with that coffee too!)

for those that asked - I’ve not had much more other than “bin the old stuff” and a different pack of coffee to try. 

F035AB3D-E65A-408C-B678-12D889B0A30B.jpeg

491FAEDB-E594-46A9-9BCB-512EEF897EEE.jpeg

Hmm...I'd try some other roasters...

• Thanks 1

I don’t like – Sticks and Stones, beans that are sour, green…or rancid (horrible). Quakers hide until you roast them, then they scream out at you in the cooling tray, pick em out and flick them in the bin.. Lifes too short for bad coffee!

6 hours ago, Simon Richardson said:

Here goes. For espresso, this is still too light for me - but it does look more like coffee. I’ll try another brew method later. My first two were too fast, thin and sour but I’ve got bored and need my morning coffee so put in some Italian job (first try with that coffee too!)

for those that asked - I’ve not had much more other than “bin the old stuff” and a different pack of coffee to try. 

What colour are the grinds compared to the whole beans? 

You should pick out the quakers (paler beans).

What are your shot parameters, maybe you can get something that isn't sour out of them at least?

9 hours ago, Simon Richardson said:

As I said, I find an Ethiopian so irregular it’s really tough to roast, but that roast looks terrible to me! 
When you roast it a little darker you do lose some acidity and the citrus notes, but roasting it that light puts you at risk of having lots of underdeveloped beans which will make it taste and sour as they are so hard to extract. 
For that reason I’ve come to only use a Sidamo as a minority bean to add something to an espresso blend