Just get sour/thin espresso. Have tried higher temp and finer grind, to the point where the machine stalls, but I can’t get a decent espresso out of this bean. 

any ideas?  Or just the wrong method to extract this bean?

What are you brewing and grinding with? Could reccomend something like a long(er) preinfusion, but don't know what you've got...

/\_/\ .。oO(Vesuvius, Niche Zero, V60)
   >^.^<.---.
  _'-`-'     )\
 (--\ |--\ (`.`-.
     --'  --'  ``-'
33 minutes ago, Simon Richardson said:

Just get sour/thin espresso. Have tried higher temp and finer grind, to the point where the machine stalls, but I can’t get a decent espresso out of this bean. 

any ideas?  Or just the wrong method to extract this bean?

I roasted the sidamo for a while but found it almost impossible to get an even roast, owing I think to the uneven nature of the beans. I have never seen an uneven selection of beans that were supposedly the same rough origin! 

As a result I also found it a pig to dial in. Eventually I gave up and it made a very nice french press! 

I suspect a better quality grinder than my mignon could probably have produced a more consistent grind and better extraction. 

What does yours look like in terms of colour evenness and bean size etc.?

• Thanks 1

I’m on a Eureka Mignon specialita And gaggia classic with PID. 

Pictures attached of beans and puck. Very very light colour puck and falls apart easily unlike other ones (maybe less oil in bean?). I too gave up and put it in a french press. 

Might try the Espresso machine again if anyone has good tips or thinks it will work 😆

139038EF-7C3B-4BA1-B26A-D4BF5248B6D8.jpeg

5347F5E0-E1CC-44E8-B611-FA7CCE635834.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Simon Richardson said:

I’m on a Eureka Mignon specialita And gaggia classic with PID. 

Pictures attached of beans and puck. Very very light colour puck and falls apart easily unlike other ones (maybe less oil in bean?). I too gave up and put it in a french press. 

Might try the Espresso machine again if anyone has good tips or thinks it will work 😆

139038EF-7C3B-4BA1-B26A-D4BF5248B6D8.jpeg

5347F5E0-E1CC-44E8-B611-FA7CCE635834.jpeg

That doesn’t even look like it was roasted! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That looks terrible. I'll be surprised if you get a good immersion out of it.  You might try removing the lighter colour beans but all the darker ones probably look like them on the inside.

Edited by Rob1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ACS Minima (Beta) with Bianca Paddle -- Reskinned Ceado E8, Niche Zero --- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

WATER CALCULATOR

5 minutes ago, Rob1 said:

That looks terrible. I'll be surprised if you get a good immersion out of it.  You might try removing the lighter colour beans but all the darker ones probably look like them on the inside.

This is what I was thinking but didn't say it!

I agree with Matt Perger (again) when he said that some 3rd wave roasters are going so light they are barely developing their beans at all.

I'm not surprised it's sour, to have sweetness surely you have to have at least some malliard reactions?

1 hour ago, TomHughes said:

That doesn’t even look like it was roasted! 

I was literally about to post the same thing! Looks like a quick few minutes in the roaster and then out. 

• Like 2

My goodness. This isn't a light/dark, good/bad, traditional/third wave question, this is just junk. Bin them.

• Like 1
   >^.^<.---.
  _'-`-'     )\
 (--\ |--\ (`.`-.
     --'  --'  ``-'
2 hours ago, Rob1 said:

Thanks for honesty, will go back and question wtf the roasters were thinking. 

Grass and grapefruit probably! Looks like the 'roasting' consisted of the bloke holding a handful of greens in one hand and a cigarette in the other, thinking "what shall I do with these?"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

54 minutes ago, mctrials23 said:

What was it sold as? Tasting notes etc?

Intensity 4

Flavour Notes: "Fruity"

Roast: Light

£21 a kilo.

Intensity might be on a scale of 1-100....and who knows what it relates to as they don't suggest any kind of brewing parameters.

44 reviews and a 4.5 star rating. Something might have gone wrong with this batch. You'd think they would have noticed.

Here's a review from 21/05/20

I think there must have been something wrong with my batch. Love light roasts and Ethiopian in particular but this bag smelled or saw dust and tasted the same. Never tasted anything quite like this before, and not in a good way.

The roaster gets back to them to see if they can help in some way (presumably by sending something actually roasted) so maybe just give that a shot.

Could also try an allonge (aim for a 80-90g in the cup) in about 30 seconds with an 18g dose. Just for fun though. As I said if you managed to get anything drinkable out of that I'll be amazed. If it makes you feel better, I've experienced this for myself with a fairly popular roaster. I threw the coffee away and resolved to spend around £30/kg or more in the future rather than get something that tastes obviously flawed or is difficult to brew properly for £20-£25/kg. False economy as they say. There will always be exceptions of course but my days of <£20 a kilo are over unless I feel like something dark and cheap for milk drinks.

ACS Minima (Beta) with Bianca Paddle -- Reskinned Ceado E8, Niche Zero --- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

WATER CALCULATOR

1 hour ago, mctrials23 said:

What was it sold as? Tasting notes etc?

Part of espresso tasting pack lightly roasted to emphasise the signature Ethiopian fruity flavour notes. The light roast also perfectly balances the acidity to give a smooth, clean taste and texture...

https://divinecoffee.co.uk/products/ethiopian-250g

Well, unless divine have some ... er, suitable intervention... I’ll just leave this here and find a different chapter to open.  

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Rob1 said:

Intensity 4

Flavour Notes: "Fruity"

Roast: Light

£21 a kilo.

Intensity might be on a scale of 1-100....and who knows what it relates to as they don't suggest any kind of brewing parameters.

44 reviews and a 4.5 star rating. Something might have gone wrong with this batch. You'd think they would have noticed.

Here's a review from 21/05/20

The roaster gets back to them to see if they can help in some way (presumably by sending something actually roasted) so maybe just give that a shot.

Could also try an allonge (aim for a 80-90g in the cup) in about 30 seconds with an 18g dose. Just for fun though. As I said if you managed to get anything drinkable out of that I'll be amazed. If it makes you feel better, I've experienced this for myself with a fairly popular roaster. I threw the coffee away and resolved to spend around £30/kg or more in the future rather than get something that tastes obviously flawed or is difficult to brew properly for £20-£25/kg. False economy as they say. There will always be exceptions of course but my days of <£20 a kilo are over unless I feel like something dark and cheap for milk drinks.

I like the possible intensity scale. 4% intense 🤪🤣

I checked out the link, read the reviews, one person said too light. The coffee in this thread defies belief. I certainly wouldn't drink it and would worry for my health. 

I assume you are going to send that picture to the roaster and ask them whats going on. I find it hard to believe that 30 odd people have got that same level of roast and were happy with it. 

• Like 2

Thanks all, have emailed roaster to see what they say. Am particularly interested that quite a few folk seem to think the roast is that light it could be unhealthy!?  I'll have to look this up.  For all those that asked questions about my kit, I have finally found the signature section and updated this to make things easier for all.

Appreciated.  Moved on to some El Salvador now....

2 hours ago, Simon Richardson said:

Thanks all, have emailed roaster to see what they say. Am particularly interested that quite a few folk seem to think the roast is that light it could be unhealthy!?  I'll have to look this up.  For all those that asked questions about my kit, I have finally found the signature section and updated this to make things easier for all.

Appreciated.  Moved on to some El Salvador now....

There are two main compounds of concern in coffee. Aflatoxin B1 (known to be carcinogenic) and Ochratoxin A (thought to be carcinogenic). ALL green coffee has the Aspergillus fungus and other mycotxin forming things. The roasting process destroys these compounds (not completely but enough so the effect is negligible). When I teach people how to roast I am quite specific about the temperatures and durations required to decompose these compounds. An excerpt from my notes for course attendees is below.

Roast levels, (always ensure ochratoxin A (OTA) (stable to 180C) and aflatoxin B1 (Stable to 160C) is destroyed….approx 2-3 min at 190C+ ensures destruction

That coffee does not look as if it spent 2-3 min at 190C+ (because if it had it would have finished 1st crack) although the computer screen and photos can be deceptive I guess....but it does look horrible and I would stop drinking it. I am also shocked at how light the coffee puck is!! Personally I would move on and try some other roasters.

P.S. I was very concerned a few years ago for the trend of drinking green coffee, white coffee and the ever lighter roasting styles to turn coffee into something that "isn't coffee".

Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@DavecUK - Last year at Coffee London I saw someone bring out a small zip lock bag of greens to the MBK demo stand and ask if the Aergrind could grind them for brew.

It was quite amusing to watch the flutter of “just why on earth would you” vs. the “customer is always right” flit across the face of the company’s owner for a split second! 😂

Edited by Northern_Monkey
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
27 minutes ago, Simon Richardson said:

To be fair to the roasters their response was bin it, and they’d send me some more to try.

Was it "bin it we'll send you something different to appease you" or "wow we messed up can't believe that made it through QC and out the door we'll go back and change some processes so we don't distribute bioweapons via the royal courier again", because if it's not the second I'd not drink anything else they're offering. 

>^.^<.---.
  _'-`-'     )\
 (--\ |--\ (`.`-.
     --'  --'  ``-'