7 minutes ago, kennyboy993 said:

That’s so true and I often think that applies to me.

Even when I go to a shop (very rare now) and I get a different taste I’m not certain I’ve been seduced by the different surroundings, the different cup, water etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of my fav all the time shots was in a cafe , lever which was half knackered at that point , one group out of a two group working .

robur, with a light fruit bomb natural Ethiopian .

shortish shot pulled .

• Like 1

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No, Nothing can beat the Niche price level Ceado have some new, but price starts just below 1000 Uk£ https://www.ceado.com/en/product/89.html

Wait a while. There will be some new models on the market towards the end of this year that tick all your boxes.

https://home-doserless.com/product/mazzer-major/ About height I am not absolutely sure but Major without hopper is 42 cm or so. One pic staying next to Classic for reference

Posted Images

42 minutes ago, Eklektik said:

Two grinder set up is the answer, imo. I’m not parting with my Niche but I’m for sure getting a big flat to pair with it is all I’m saying

I totally agree. Unless you have both side by side, it will always be very difficult to make an objective judgement. Upgraditus and memory will play games with you... And the grass is aways greener. Hence why I don't want to just jump the gun. IMO, if you could keep the Niche and have a flat burr grinder, use them both at home and then let go one of them is the best thing to do, IMO. 

• Like 1

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

Ha oh yeah - I’ll while I’m at it I’ll get that DE1+ too!

Seriously though - I can’t afford the kitchen space or the money. Otherwise I’d have a kafatek

Sage Bambino - BWT Bestmax - Niche in Black. Aeropress and Aergrind

Live and Let Live

1 hour ago, kennyboy993 said:

Just flat - with all the non-coffee flavours kind of there but only just and in the background.

It happens with my aeropress too when using the niche.

I had the niche with my vesuvius for a while and was the same and now I have a sage bambino.

To be honest I’ve had the niche for so long now I’ve kind of forgotten what it’s like to make a ‘smack in your face’ coffee at home - something I used to get regularly when i had an ECM HX and a k30 or even the little mignon before that.

It’s now only when i visit a speciality shop do I get reminded.

So no I’m not 100% certain it’s the grinder though I’ve been at this game for over 3 years now and all my senses are saying try another grinder

Yep I get what you mean. 

I think it might be a personal thing too, taste is quite personal. Just look at coriander. To some (me) it tastes bitter/sweet, in a delicous way. 
To my wife (who has the genetic variant that's been identified) it tastes metallic and hideous! 

So, maybe coffee tastes are more than just 'preference'?

Maybe, you have a certain taste receptor makeup that means you need fruit to come to the fore, and maybe in a way that others would find too much? So they say that the niche is fine, as they like a bit of fruitiness but not too much? 

Maybe, you taste fruity sour as fruity sweet? To me I taste berries as more sour, than my wife for instance. 

Just thoughts!

La Pavoni Europiccola - Mignon Manuale - La Pavoni Zip - Gaggia Classic - Nanopresso - Osmio Zero

I get what you're saying Tom - though I'm talking about a change here....... I feel I used to be able to make the coffee I'm searching for - and I'm kinda getting more convinced the change is most likely to be grinder based.

Totally get what Boots is saying though - it's a bit like the first time (in our youth) we sampled something narcotic - it was never quite the same since the first try!

Live and Let Live

I have both a big flat a Ceado E37Z and a Conic, a Kafatek Monolith MC1. There is a huge difference to my palate between them when I side by side. The big flat is more transparent in that I get more obvious individual notes that i can pick out. I'd describe the Conic as homogenising flavours in direct comparison. I guess this would mean that an individuals sensitivities, as described, will have a bigger impact on their opinion.

It's only recently I am able to identify very specific flavours that align with roasters notes in espresso and that the ability to compare the grinders side by side has been quite helpful to me. 

Maybe something that could be investigated and experienced on a forum day to broaden the experience for those interested. noting the current times make that kind of challenging

I have both a big flat a Ceado E37Z and a Conic, a Kafatek Monolith MC1. There is a huge difference to my palate between them when I side by side. The big flat is more transparent in that I get more obvious individual notes that i can pick out. I'd describe the Conic as homogenising flavours in direct comparison. I guess this would mean that an individuals sensitivities, as described, will have a bigger impact on their opinion.
It's only recently I am able to identify very specific flavours that align with roasters notes in espresso and that the ability to compare the grinders side by side has been quite helpful to me. 
Maybe something that could be investigated and experienced on a forum day to broaden the experience for those interested. noting the current times make that kind of challenging

Yes my experience of flats vs conics is along similar lines - albeit slightly less exotic machinery!

• Like 1

Live and Let Live

29 minutes ago, Chainlinephil said:

For it to be useful , you need same beans made on same machines and tasted blind , otherwise it’s just confirming people’s purchase lead preferences imho. 

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

For it to be useful , you need same beans made on same machines and tasted blind , otherwise it’s just confirming people’s purchase lead preferences imho. 

Completely agree, which is what I had/have at home. it’s night and day on mine to my palate. I’ve no axe to grind.
I think my conic suits milk based drinks and the flat, espresso.
I don’t drink long black as I revert to pourover for longer drinks.