IGNORED

Single doser flat burr

@kennyboy993 - Think both have 83mm burrs, Major uses the less aggressive ones whilst the Royal has the other types since it’s motor is beefier.
Major is 38cm tall no hopper, Royal is ~46cm so a fair bit bigger and weighs ~60lbs
If you have space for a Royal then I reckon you would have room for an EK43s potentially...

Cheers - major it would be then, have limited height space

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No, Nothing can beat the Niche price level Ceado have some new, but price starts just below 1000 Uk£ https://www.ceado.com/en/product/89.html

Wait a while. There will be some new models on the market towards the end of this year that tick all your boxes.

https://home-doserless.com/product/mazzer-major/ About height I am not absolutely sure but Major without hopper is 42 cm or so. One pic staying next to Classic for reference

Posted Images

Rpm mainly in home use 990(Royal) vs 1440(Major)
My kit is mounted on Royal but it is huge!!

You got one of these kits L&R - does it work well?

Can you move from grind setting to grind setting easily and does it make the royal viable for other grind options eg aeropress?

@kennyboy993 - How much height have you got to play with?

The Daniel Wong kits look good but need a puffer to blow the grinds through, the rocket ones are pretty long. Assuming you could get a shorter one or with a 90 degree nozzle. I reckon about 30-40g max in the throat.

It should make the retention really low, but I would expect you still need to purge a bit when going back to espresso just a smaller volume.

Wont be too far off my old SJ in terms of adjustment, I kept it set for espresso and used a hand grinder for Aeropress/v60 as it was just simpler that way since swapping settings wasn’t 100% consistent.

Edited by Northern_Monkey
@kennyboy993 - How much height have you got to play with?
The Daniel Wong kits look good but need a puffer to blow the grinds through, the rocket ones are pretty long. Assuming you could get a shorter one or with a 90 degree nozzle. I reckon about 30-40g max in the throat.
It should make the retention really low, but I would expect you still need to purge a bit when going back to espresso just a smaller volume.
Wont be too far off my old SJ in terms of adjustment, I kept it set for espresso and used a hand grinder for Aeropress/v60 as it was just simpler that way since swapping settings wasn’t 100% consistent.

I’m on kitchen worktop under eye level cupboards so maybe 43cm in total. I need space l to be able to fill the throat with beans. I don’t want to be moving the grinder every time I use it to get access to it.

I never grind more than 19g no matter brew method I’m using. I don’t want to be purging at all - basically I want the workflow of the niche though am happy to use the blower as shown on the vid.

77301a92a47f522715ee91fef0157c21.jpg

I  like small machines next to a big grinder haha this is my throwback setup: Major with Daniel's kit plus Pav.

Pm.jpg

Edited by L&R
  • Like 2

@kennyboy993 - Ta, helps visualise it a lot better.

I think you would be hard pushed to dose and clear a 38cm Major in a 43cm gap. Maybe a SJ with the DW kit but it is only 64mm burrs? My SJ was just OK with a 45cm cabinet height and lens hood.

Looks like it would be either a Lagom P64, Santos Barista or the Ceado SD with 64mm burrs.

I have heard the Niche described as a “market disrupter” in terms of grind quality for size vs. price for single dosing. The flat burr single dosers which are small seem to be 2-6 times the price of it, not sure it currently has a rival at that price point to be honest.

Thanks monkey - is good info and food for thought.

I’ll measure with more accuracy and see what options I have. SJ a possibility.

With no other niche owners reporting flattening of flavours I’ll see if I can test my beans with another local niche owner also

• Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, kennyboy993 said:

Thanks monkey - is good info and food for thought.

I’ll measure with more accuracy and see what options I have. SJ a possibility.

With no other niche owners reporting flattening of flavours I’ll see if I can test my beans with another local niche owner also

Unrelated... Do you still have the V?

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

Looks amazing, though again - very different price point to niche.

The price and ability to single dose is kind of main selling point of Niche. If you want big flat, well... you’ll need to spend more or faff more.
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, kennyboy993 said:

More than double price of a niche though eh. Looks nice mind

Not if you find an ex demo fir £400!

Unrelated... Do you still have the V?

No - I’ve had a sage bambino for the last 7 months. For my usage profile I’m quite happy with it

• Like 1
Yes and an vet pleased with it

Ah - so teasing us with a grinder that isn’t at niche price point....... but is for you. Thanks coffeechap!

Enjoy

6 hours ago, kennyboy993 said:

Ah - so teasing us with a grinder that isn’t at niche price point....... but is for you. Thanks coffeechap! emoji24.pngemoji36.png

Enjoy

These bargains are there to be found 

• Like 1

I'd also like to go large flat with Niche style work flow, I'd be happy to throw £1k at it plus the sale of the Niche. I'm also limited by height of 45cm but could potentially shuffle round and have it at the front and to the left of my Bianca giving me machine height of 45cm but clear above that for filling, but allowing a cupboard door to swing over it if that makes sense, it could't be too deep or wide though then.

On 12/07/2020 at 13:02, coffeechap said:

It’s really good actually, for a small grinder, zero retention is achieved quite easily, plus I like the cut of the santos burrs 

what are the pros and cons of the santos? i couldn't find too much about it, save that it might need a few small mods. seems like a good option for those with fear of missing out on flat burs.... people like me.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, L&R said:

What about Ceado E37SD sec hand, sorry for pointing other forum but this is my grinder that I will part soon as I have ordered Monolith

https://www.espressoman.ro/forum/Thread-For-Sale-Ceado-E37SD-SSP-HU-Burrs-fitted

Would be nice but too risky buying from Bulgaria. If you spot anything in the UK please let me know. Tempted to buy a new one but the cheapest place is Crappy Italia.

36 minutes ago, richwade80 said:

what are the pros and cons of the santos? i couldn't find too much about it, save that it might need a few small mods. seems like a good option for those with fear of missing out on flat burs.... people like me.

Google is your friend.....

Santos Barista Coffee Grinder 01

Capacity 1kg
Dimensions 550(H) x 250(W) x 320(D)mm
Material Aluminium & ABS
Output 600W
Supplier Model Number 01BARA
Voltage 220V
Warranty 2 Years & 5 Years on the Motor (Parts Only)
Weight 14kg
Colour Black
Simple, direct dispensing of freshly ground coffee
Horizontal axis grinding discs with feeding screw
Stepless grinding adjustments: from extra fine to extra coarse
Precision grinding: Ø 63,5 mm grinding discs which are designed and manufactured by Santos for a high quality grinding, precise and fine
Powerful and reliable commercial induction motor
Average output: 14kg / hour

Also managed to pick mine up for less than a Niche................................. which was nice.

Even without the benefit of knowing 'people' who are useful the full price of circa £1200 is not exactly outrageous for the grinder you are getting.  I love mine, small form factor, looks lovely, very easy to dial in, produces nice fluffy grinds (I've not had a single issue with clumping) and,  as has been stated already, it has zero retention.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Nick1881 said:

Would be nice but too risky buying from Bulgaria. If you spot anything in the UK please let me know. Tempted to buy a new one but the cheapest place is Crappy Italia.

Hey Nick I am not a random guy, double boxed and insured should be fine.