IGNORED

Rancilio Silvia Pro...

22 minutes ago, ronan08 said:

If its priced right that will do super well although I'm not sure how they squeezed it all in?

The machine's depth is 42cm - 11 cm deeper than the actual one. 4cm taller and 1.5cm wider.

That's how.

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

1 hour ago, Blue_Cafe said:

https://www.ranciliogroup.com/rancilio/silvia-xl/silvia-pro/

spacer.png

Coming soon!

Complete with PID.

Just letting people know that this has been raised in October last year:

• Like 1

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

So how much is it in sterling?

Not available yet....
eef3bdf67ea8c3ae6505d509437162ee.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Jasetaylor said:

Side by side with the existing Silvia. Definitely not the same form factor but still rather a nice looking machine IMO.

https://i.imgur.com/yTHAuyU.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/0OtV07u.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/2Ca4zmq.jpg

Arguably not really the same machine. It's dual boiler with a load of other stuff included.

Seems a good bit of kit but an awful lot of money for a souped up Silvia.

For not much more you can get a Lelit Bianca which is surely leagues ahead of this in looks and performance.

• Thanks 1

Personally.... I’d buy the Lelit Elizabeth. Or the Profitec 300. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NJD1977 said:

For not much more you can get a Lelit Bianca which is surely leagues ahead of this in looks and performance.

£650-700 is hardly not much more. The Silvia Pro and and additional Silvia V6 with £50-100 of coffee = Lelit Bianca.

This is more on par with the Sage DB price wise. 

£650-700 is hardly not much more. The Silvia Pro and and additional Silvia V6 with £50-100 of coffee = Lelit Bianca.
This is more on par with the Sage DB price wise. 
Lelit Bianca is £1800, this Silvia is over £1300 without discount. Less than £500 more buys a huge step up.

Let’s face it. We are paying for a brand name. A brand new machine that looks like the old Silvia. Because it has a PID in it? Can you even adjust the OPV? Do we know if it’s thermally stable? The original one was not. It feels to me they arrived way late in the game, retrofitted some old tech (pid) adapted an old design and now want to charge a fortune for it. Are the chassis/case SS or powder coated steel? Will it rust? 

Not for me, thanks. Take a look at the Pro-300. It’s over 5 years old. Built like a tank. Trialed and tested technology. The Rancilio Pro doesn’t offer anything over it, and potentially has the same tech/components, if not worse ones.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 01/08/2020 at 12:19, MediumRoastSteam said:

Personally.... I’d buy the Lelit Elizabeth. Or the Profitec 300. 

Any exact reasons you'd buy those over the Silvia Pro?

To me, the Lelit doesn't do it visually. Matter of taste. Don't care to discuss it.

I like the industrial look of the Profitec Pro 300 and have heard great things about its build quality. Also:

• "cool touch" steam wand
  • larger drip tray
  • pressure gauge (if that's something you want to monitor)
  • better water level sensing technique
  • both heating elements can work simultaneously

In comparison, the Rancilio Silvia PRO has:

• larger steam boiler
  • PID control of the steam boiler
  • two pumps (steam boiler top-ups don't affect extraction)
  • automatic cleaning and boiler emptying programs
  • rudimentary auto-on (after specified time)

@pavo I suppose the Rancilio doesn't cut for me. It feels to me something they just shoehorned into an existing machine without much thought. But that's a matter of opinion, of course. @profesor_historia really rates the Silvia Pro and actually owns one! So he can give you why he likes it 🙂 

@pavo as @MediumRoastSteam mentioned I don’t think many on the forum have a Silvia Pro I’m only aware of @profesor_historia and myself.

Silvia Pro is very expensive in the U.K. prof got a much better deal as the pricing is much better in mainland Europe.

I looked at a number of machines before getting the Pro, the Elizabeth and Minima being the others in the final list. I did look at the Profitech but didn’t like the look of it.

Over 16 years with a Silvia was a large part of the decision, the wife vetoed the Minima on looks, which left the Elizabeth or the Pro. The larger service boiler and twin pumps pushed me towards the pro.

Having used the Silvia Pro for a couple of months now she’s been a joy to use.

Thermal stability is very good I’ve only seen the temperature of the brew boiler drop when I’d got the grind totally wrong so it was a mega fast shot, otherwise it sits on the set temperature. Results are very consistent and when I’ve changed the temperature for different coffees even by 1c you can see the change in the coffee and that change is consistent. The service boiler did an autofill during a shot recently but as twin pump there was no impact to the shot.

Steam wise the steam is very good and plentiful, I’m yet to see any sign of it running out even when steaming larger amounts or when the autofill cuts in.

I noticed the review comments about only one element being on at a time, I can understand that for the US version (which has smaller elements) but technically there is no reason over here it couldn’t run both. Though as I’ve said I’ve seen no sign of any thermal instability with the way it is setup.

The water level and size of tank are weak points, there is no last shot protection and it trips when there is still a lot of water in the tank so the usable capacity of the tank is small. The other odd quirk I found is you can’t drain the service boiler using the in-built function unless it is up to temperature, maybe to protect the element? Though the programming could ensure it was off regardless.

As I’ve mentioned before the Silvia Pro shows how good a Silvia could be from the factory if Rancilio fitted a PID.

Edited by AdG
  • Like 2

Thank you, @AdG for a very on-topic reply!

Apparently it's not just the US version that has one element on at a time. Rancilio technical specs show total power for 220–240V version at 1100 W. I think this only matters during initial warm-up as during operation the PIDs will pulse power anyway.

As to the water level detection, could a better system be designed and retro-fitted instead of the vacuum pressure sensing thingy that's installed?

Ha! Already thinking of mods, even before buying. The other thing I'd explore some time in the future is switching to a rotary pump for the brew and a plumed connection. Case seems to have plenty of room.

• Like 1