NJD1977

If it isn't working.....change it up!

Just a quick note to say.....for people who might be struggling with something on pulling a shot.....too bitter, too sour, too fast, too slow etc.

I ignore my own advice sometimes but remember this.......

CHANGE IT UP!

I think Einstein said, doing the same thing multiple times and expecting a different result is insanity (or something like that).

I've been struggling with brew temperature lately and having bitter shots. I know this is too high a temperature but for ages I've been pressing on with the same technique hoping a miracle would come along.....it didn't.

So I decided to deliberately change my flush routine....flushed al lot more and started pulling my shot much sooner. And suddenly the difference was there. Much better taste.

So if you're struggling, take a step back and make a very deliberate change. Maybe too big a change. But learn what happens. And refine from there.

Stop doing the same thing and expecting a different result. Albert thinks this is insane. And Albert was a clever guy.

• Like 3

Quickmill Andreja Premium---Eric's E61 Thermometer---Eureka Mignon---MBK 58.35mm---Grindenstein

This! ^^^^^ And when you make the big change... make sure it’s A (singular), one change at a time. So you know exactly what is the result when you change one parameter and the others are kept constant. Fail to do so will lead you to chasing down the rabbit hole cluelessly and the whole thing will become an incredibly frustrating and tiresome experience.

• Like 3

Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Took my own advice this morning. I've been playing with increasing from 1:2 to 1:3 espressos using my new Niche.

With the Niche I still wasn't getting particularly nice espresso at 1:2 so I let it run onto 18:54g today and wow, a whole different ball game. Probably the best espresso I've pulled in years. Finished it 30mins ago and the mouthfeel is still there.

I think I need to start using 1:3 as my new starting point!

• Like 1

Quickmill Andreja Premium---Eric's E61 Thermometer---Eureka Mignon---MBK 58.35mm---Grindenstein

15 minutes ago, NJD1977 said:

Took my own advice this morning. I've been playing with increasing from 1:2 to 1:3 espressos using my new Niche.

With the Niche I still wasn't getting particularly nice espresso at 1:2 so I let it run onto 18:54g today and wow, a whole different ball game. Probably the best espresso I've pulled in years. Finished it 30mins ago and the mouthfeel is still there.

More inline with traditional espresso then, rather than this third wave nonsense. How long was your brewing time since lifting the lever? 

More inline with traditional espresso then, rather than this third wave nonsense. How long was your brewing time since lifting the lever? 
I didn't time it but 1:2 was 28s so I'm guessing around 33-35s.

The taste difference was huge. Really enjoyed it.

Pulled another into an Americano and even the Americano tastes much better.

I'm guessing I was just under extracting at 1:2.

41 minutes ago, NJD1977 said:

Oh wow, I just mentioned this on another post! Thought I was alone is preferring 1:3, an outcast that kept silent for fear of being shamed :D

• Like 2

Sage Barista Express.

It's strange though as many barista I have talked with recommend 1:2 and 25 seconds. But if you like it then this is the most important thing.

Sent from my ALP-L09 using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, profesor_historia said:

I will try it but in general I noted a bitterness after 30 seconds, I use 20gr in a VST basket.

I suppose it’s also related to the beans / roast profile. It’s not a general rule. Taste is subjective, so I guess it’s a matter of what works for you and the equipment you have.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, NJD1977 said:

Which beans are you using? And at which temp?

I use a HX machine so hard to say on temperature. 7fa9404ecc82c24b9b7dd73eb494fe60.jpg

• Like 1

I have absolutely no issue with the sentiments in this post regarding changing little things in an attempt to improve the result... particularly the caveat of only changing one parameter at at time (so you can identify the tweak that made a difference).

The only thing I take issue with is the awful, clunky usage of "change up"/"change it up".... 
I'd like to blame the Yanks and call this abomination an americanism - but I am not sure I can.... it is certainly used a fair bit by various sports commentators, specifically tennis where they suggest "changing up" their service or game plan but also cricket and others (clearly no American has even the slightest clue about cricket - so if it's an americanism... it cannot have evolved via cricket)...

Anyway, regardless of its origin... wtf is wrong with "change" (or alter or vary etc)?
What does "up" add to its meaning.... surely "up" is entirely redundant?

Would (anyone) add this redundant, and ugly, appendage to other synonyms of change?

I am going to vary up...... alter up... adjust up.....  uuuggghhhh!!!!!

[/rant end]

• Like 1

There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Manic Obsession"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stuff......

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently enjoying LSOL

I have absolutely no issue with the sentiments in this post regarding changing little things in an attempt to improve the result... particularly the caveat of only changing one parameter at at time (so you can identify the tweak that made a difference).
The only thing I take issue with is the awful, clunky usage of "change up"/"change it up".... 
I'd like to blame the Yanks and call this abomination an americanism - but I am not sure I can.... it is certainly used a fair bit by various sports commentators, specifically tennis where they suggest "changing up" their service or game plan but also cricket and others (clearly no American has even the slightest clue about cricket - so if it's an americanism... it cannot have evolved via cricket)...
Anyway, regardless of its origin... wtf is wrong with "change" (or alter or vary etc)?
What does "up" add to its meaning.... surely "up" is entirely redundant?
Would (anyone) add this redundant, and ugly, appendage to other synonyms of change?
I am going to vary up...... alter up... adjust up.....  uuuggghhhh!!!!!
[/rant end]

I am not following you, what exactly are you saying?

3 minutes ago, profesor_historia said:

I am not following you, what exactly are you saying?

On the assumption you are not being sarcastic (which I would be happy with if you were ;-) )

I am saying that the usage of "up" in "change up" is redundant "change" is all that is needed...... :-)

(The original post title)

There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Manic Obsession"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stuff......

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently enjoying LSOL

We can definitely f**k things up though. I do it most days.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, NJD1977 said:

We can definitely f**k things up though. I do it most days. emoji1787.pngemoji23.png

Yes, or f**k it up, is also acceptable.

Apologies, this could be drifting from the topic. . . 

Regards,
John

• Haha 1

Profitec Pro 600, Niche Zero, 1Zpresso JX Pro, Osmio Zero

If I could think of something witty and original to put in my signature, this is where it would be . . .

Before getting in to speciality coffee I always thought of the term ‘dialled

in’ to be very American. Ie. He’s got his golf game dialled in or she’s got her marathon pacing dialled in.

I find myself saying it all too often on non coffee related things now!

• Like 1

On the assumption you are not being sarcastic (which I would be happy with if you were ;-) )
I am saying that the usage of "up" in "change up" is redundant "change" is all that is needed...... :-)
(The original post title)
I wasn't being sarcastic at all, I swear

• Like 1

On 02/09/2020 at 11:11, NJD1977 said:

I've tried this today. 🙂 seems a much more rounded cup, but some of the flavours got diluted, in my opinion. It was a 54g shot, 18g in, in 38 seconds, with a bloom pre-infusion of 10 seconds. 

• Like 2