IGNORED

New upgraded Lelit on the block - Elizabeth

3 minutes ago, Kjk said:

On weekdays the timer switches the machine on 30mins before I want to use it.

The machine is ready to roll in 17 minutes (20 max). I go downstairs, turn it on, make breakfast, and by the time I'm ready to make my coffee, it's fully warmed up. 

I used to do that with my Pro-700 (E61). One of the reasons I chose the Elizabeth over others. 🙂 

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Arrived it has... flushed it’s been.... coffee it made... I was dreading the two hole tip.... worked wonders for a first one!   just couldn’t take the case off (no time, was on lunch br

Ok, will do thanks - just wanted to double check I'd read it right! Now the journey begins to trying to make good coffee... Can't blame the kit 😂

I suppose I'll have a go then... The group of the Minima is very different to the group on the Elizabeth. Yes, it's a 58mm group, the portafilter and the group gasket is the same. And that's it.

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

The machine is ready to roll in 17 minutes (20 max). I go downstairs, turn it on, make breakfast, and by the time I'm ready to make my coffee, it's fully warmed up. 

I used to do that with my Pro-700 (E61). One of the reasons I chose the Elizabeth over others. 🙂 

Yeah, it's more the variability of when I am forced downstairs to feed children than anything else! The quick heat up is great though, allows for a leisurely first shot.

PMA all day!

21 minutes ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

You do realise the machine, from cold, first heats up to approx. 120C (on the display) and then cools down to the set temperature? - This is irrespective of whether the tank is full or not. 

Is this what you are referring to? If so, there's nothing wrong.

Did you read DavecUK's review? link on first post in this thread. If you haven't, make sure you read that thoroughly and use the recommended settings for the PID, specially with regards to showing the actual temperature rather than the set temperature. 

If you've done all of the above and it's something completely different, a video or something like that would be great.

That would explain it! I have it set on a smart plug so not usually up and downstairs to witness the initial heat up. I saw it at 117C this morning and was worried but that now makes sense. Thank you. 

I must have missed that point in DavecUKs review but reassuring to know it’s normal

thanks again 

• Like 1

Since buying an old house that needs some tlc this time last year, I haven’t had much time for coffee based shenanigans.. but I recently decided to upgrade but I’m stuck between the Marax and the Elizabeth, such a hard decision to make! Any wise words would be appreciated[emoji28]

25 minutes ago, jonnycooper29 said:

Any wise words would be appreciated

Personally, I'd never buy anything with an "X" in the name. 

😂 

"Z" is fine. 

Jokes aside: What do you like better? Have you read and watched the reviews DavecUK made? 

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Personally, I'd never buy anything with an "X" in the name. 
[emoji23] 
"Z" is fine. 
Jokes aside: What do you like better? Have you read and watched the reviews DavecUK made? 

Luckily I have a niche Zero!
I’ve read both in quite a bit of detail and they both looks great and suit me in different ways. I typically make 3 or 4 coffees a day, 50/50 between espressos and flat whites. When we are allowed to have people visit, I tend to make a few back to back too.
  • Like 1
35 minutes ago, jonnycooper29 said:

Since buying an old house that needs some tlc this time last year, I haven’t had much time for coffee based shenanigans.. but I recently decided to upgrade but I’m stuck between the Marax and the Elizabeth, such a hard decision to make! Any wise words would be appreciatedemoji28.png

I've had a MaraX for half year and now bought an Elizabeth couple of months ago. For now I prefer my lovely Lizzy. Why? Temperature control. 

With the MaraX I wasn't sure about the temperature. Especially after I attached a thermometer to the head. It's a really good machine I definitely loved it but the temp stability was an issue for me. Also changing it... 

At Elizabeth you use the screen and the boiler/tank is above the group head so it's more accurate. Also you can choose preinfusion. 

I loved MaraX's leveler and its more pro home barista looking and I would buy it again if Elizabeth wouldn't exist :)

My only issue with it that the puck stuck so many times to the shower screen and can't figure why.

41 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

My only issue with it that the puck stuck so many times to the shower screen and can't figure why.

Ha! Story of my life! They was my gripe with this machine. Infuriating stuff! Took to Bella Barista, tested it over there... no issue. Nothing. Same everything but the grinder and location. I use a Niche Zero.

I learnt to live with it. I found that, if you gently undo the portafilter applying downward pressure - very gently - then the puck doesn’t stick. Or... Use an IMS basket. No stuck pucks for me.

It’s coffee dependent too: some coffees stick more than others. 👍

Check 

• Like 1

Hmm interesting, temp consistency is something I’m very keen on given the machines I’ve had before. Hence the upgrade to a ‘proper’ machine. I’m swayed by the Elizabeth at the moment, i think it’s a more complete package, but wanted to check what the pros are for the marax on a day to day basis..

7 minutes ago, jonnycooper29 said:

Hmm interesting, temp consistency is something I’m very keen on given the machines I’ve had before. Hence the upgrade to a ‘proper’ machine. I’m swayed by the Elizabeth at the moment, i think it’s a more complete package, but wanted to check what the pros are for the marax on a day to day basis..

Do you temp control? - Elizabeth;
Do you pre-infusion out of the box? - Elizabeth;
Do you want fast heat up time? Elizabeth;
Do you want very little maintenance and hassle free? Elizabeth;
Do you want timed buttons, shot timer? Elizabeth.

Do you want E61 (you'll need to lube the lever cam every month, and after back flushing chemically)? MaraX;
Do you want to add a flow control valve later? MaraX;
Do you want more traditional looks? MaraX;
Do you want more refined finish? MaraX. (comes with a nice tamper too!)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

Ha! Story of my life! They was my gripe with this machine. Infuriating stuff! Took to Bella Barista, tested it over there... no issue. Nothing. Same everything but the grinder and location. I use a Niche Zero.

I learnt to live with it. I found that, if you gently undo the portafilter applying downward pressure - very gently - then the puck doesn’t stick. Or... Use an IMS basket. No stuck pucks for me.

It’s coffee dependent too: some coffees stick more than others. 👍

Check 

Same here, using Niche Zero again. 

I'm using VST 18g, IMS E&B Lab 16-18g and IMS Ultra-fine 16-18g. 

At 94°C Ultra-fine almost always stuck, E&B Lab sometimes, VST bit more often. At 92°C it's a bit better. Most of the time I use 18g.

3 minutes ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

Yeah that tamper comes with Elizabeth... How come?!?! A machine worth £1200 and you get a £5 plastic tamper usually given to £50-100 machines. It's a shame in my opinion 🙄

Do you temp control? - Elizabeth;
Do you pre-infusion out of the box? - Elizabeth;
Do you want fast heat up time? Elizabeth;
Do you want very little maintenance and hassle free? Elizabeth;
Do you want timed buttons, shot timer? Elizabeth.
Do you want E61 (you'll need to lube the lever cam every month, and after back flushing chemically)? MaraX;
Do you want to add a flow control valve later? MaraX;
Do you want more traditional looks? MaraX;

Okay, so all those videos I’ve watched and reviews I’ve read have been summed up in a few lines[emoji23] I think I’m pretty much settled on the Elizabeth then, just need to sell my other machine to part fund this new one (and a tamper upgrade it seems...)! Thanks both of you
  • Like 1

I was so close to pulling the trigger on the Elizabeth, then I started thinking about the Minima.. I’ve done a lot of reading so I know most of the pros and cons of it, but I’m just wondering whether when we are out of lockdown and I have 5 or 6 people wanting a flat white, will the Elizabeth boiler size keep up?

The minima will clearly be able to steam enough milk and brew enough espressos, but will the Elizabeth cope?

54 minutes ago, jonnycooper29 said:

I was so close to pulling the trigger on the Elizabeth, then I started thinking about the Minima.. I’ve done a lot of reading so I know most of the pros and cons of it, but I’m just wondering whether when we are out of lockdown and I have 5 or 6 people wanting a flat white, will the Elizabeth boiler size keep up?

The minima will clearly be able to steam enough milk and brew enough espressos, but will the Elizabeth cope?

No one has been able to (legally) test it! You’d probably trigger a boiler fill on the way but it’s very quick to recover. How fast is your workflow? I don’t imagine you’d have a counter full of ready and waiting doses to be pulled back to back.

Steaming may be different but again it recovers quick. How much milk would you do at a time?

You may find that the best result would be doing it in batches of 2/3 at a time, but you might want to do that anyway rather than have your first shot on the counter cooling for 3-4 minutes (at the quickest) if you were to pull them continuously.

PMA all day!

No one has been able to (legally) test it! You’d probably trigger a boiler fill on the way but it’s very quick to recover. How fast is your workflow? I don’t imagine you’d have a counter full of ready and waiting doses to be pulled back to back.
Steaming may be different but again it recovers quick. How much milk would you do at a time?
You may find that the best result would be doing it in batches of 2/3 at a time, but you might want to do that anyway rather than have your first shot on the counter cooling for 3-4 minutes (at the quickest) if you were to pull them continuously.

That makes sense, I’m just trying to gauge what ‘very quick’ is. Will my guests be waiting 10 minutes for their coffee after the first 2 people get theirs? If it is a couple of minutes then that is okay. This is what put me off the marax, 3 shots then having to wait 15 mins for it to stabilise again is too long.

I seem to have my workflow down, just before I pull a shot, I’ll weigh out the dose for the next and start grinding whilst I pull the shot. Then I can knock out the puck, load up and tamp and repeat. I was thinking I would pull 2 shots then steam enough for those two, and continue in batches like that.

@jonnycooper29 - personally, I don’t understand what you are alluding to. By the time you grind, prep and tamp, the machine is recovered. Unless you are using a super fast, hopper fed grinder that you just dose, level snd tamp, I don’t see any issues with the Elizabeth. 

There were a few people in the same dilema here, and, faced with this situation, they chose the Minima - a very different machine to the Elizabeth, and one Id be delighted to have if I had the space.

I just want to make sure I get the right machine when spending this much money. I wasn’t sure if it’d be a problem having not seen videos of someone doing it or read something that says the recovery time is quick enough to not worry about it.

I’ve got space for the minima, it sounds like you think it might be a better machine? Or am I mistaken?

Making 5 or 6 drinks back to back is going to be a time consuming on most machines is it not? 
The most I have made back to back on my Elizabeth is 4 and it handled it fine - I did want to throw my hand grinder through the window however ... 

• Like 1
Making 5 or 6 drinks back to back is going to be a time consuming on most machines is it not? 
The most I have made back to back on my Elizabeth is 4 and it handled it fine - I did want to throw my hand grinder through the window however ... 

I agree it will be time consuming, but it will be even more time consuming if I have to wait 10 minutes between every 2 shots! 4 on the trot sounds promising though.

You’ve got more patience than me, I would have given up halfway through the second shot if I was using my aergrind[emoji28]