MikeHag

Free beans

I used my Gene Cafe for the first time yesterday. Was really pleased with the results and the learning experience, but I took the beans to a rolling 2nd crack, which is darker than I personally enjoy drinking. Rather than bin them I'm happy to send them to the first person who wants them... I reckon someone will like them as I found the espresso I made quite acceptable (just too dark for me). Only 180g or so. Free. Go!

(Left=mine. Right=not mine)

519b25d7-006c-0a99.jpg

BTW, nicaragua jinotego and matagalpa

Edited by MikeHag

hi mike just wondered how much often you plan on giving beans away?usually go for bike rides this time of year and not too far away i think.how are plans for shop going?

Where are you based? If you're passing by I'll roast you a bag of beans to order :)

Hang on... is that you up Glen Lyon... Jamie? Aah no... I see now, Dundee. I remember now from our Facebook page :) Drop me a PM if you like and I'll give you my number to arrange something when you're over in the area.

Chequ3r, I decided I'd send you a freshly roasted bag instead of that first batch. Arriving some time next week.

Please keep expectations low :D

Edited by MikeHag

Two batches roasted today and ready to post :) 160g in each bag, as I kept some back for myself to try, since the roasts went well and they look great to me. Only tasting will tell tho!

Hope Steve Leighton doesn't mind that I am reusing his bags!! Did a quick photoshop on them for fun ....

hagbean.jpg

Haha, HagBean! Intrigued by the results achievable in the Gene Cafe..

Steve

Dualit Espressivo | Krups Burr Grinder | Bodum Kenya 8 Cup | Various Tchibo Accessories from Germany

How light/dark did you take them?

I've got some Matagalapa that I've tried in the popcorn roastery with pretty tasty results but usually darker than I'd like.

I logged my first roast a week or so ago, and they came out at 16mins, at which point 2C was rolling. I didn't hear 1C. This time I did hear 1C, from 12:30-13:30 and ended the roast at 14:30. Weight loss was 14.5% so less than City. Probably med-light. Visibly very similar to Oporapa.

Well I just brewed some in a pourover and found them really quite good, if I say so myself. Plenty of body and a creamy mouthfeel, but with a mild acidity that tingles on the lips. A very very slight funky flavour, combined with some parchment/silverskin still on the green beans, suggests the beans are dry processed (natural). Despite being a med-light roast I think they may be quite good in espresso for those who like that sort of roast.

Next time I'm going to slow down the roast at first crack to see if the flavours develop more.

Chequ3r, I decided I'd send you a freshly roasted bag instead of that first batch. Arriving some time next week.

Please keep expectations low :D

Oooh thanks :)

Pah, don't knock yourself down :p

I'd be keen on purchasing some beans from you, Mike. Do let me know if/when that's possible :)

1995 'Coffee Gaggia' with full Gaggia Classic conversion, DIY PID Controller, OPV set to 9bar, Silvia steam wand, Botomless PF, VST 15g Basket, Motta 58mm Tamper and Ascaso I-Mini grinder

How long till we see the Hag Bean Espresso Blend?

Oh, having done just 3 roasts I'm probably quite far from doing a good job of a blend :D But anything's possible!

I have some Nicaragua Finca Santa Maura Pacamara that were a gift from Fiona at http://www.glenlyoncoffee.co.uk/ so I'll be giving those a try soon and may need some willing victims! (BTW Fiona is getting good! Check out her website. The Bolivia Finca Juana Mamani is a gem from the Caranavi region. I believe she's there right now, so perhaps contact her in a week or so for any orders.)

Nice website that, I'll give them a go once their selling. I'll gladly be a HagBean victim too of course.

How easy is it to get 2 roasts the exact same?

I'd love to try some if you can post them in letterbox friendly packaging?

I can get 160g flat enough to post as a large 2nd class letter, keeping postage under a quid, which I'm happy to pay :)

I was actually really surprised at how closely the second roast I did last week followed the profile of the first. It meant they both came out looking almost exactly the same, so I was comfortable with mixing the two batches together.

I do have an external standalone cooler, which helps.

I'm becoming increasingly tempted by a gene cafe. How much smoke would you say it produces on a medium roast Mike?

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

Roy & Alex & The Maestro & Herman ze Hausgrind

I'm becoming increasingly tempted by a gene cafe. How much smoke would you say it produces on a medium roast Mike?

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

None at all for me, since I use a length of 80mm ducting to vent it out of the window. Cost under a fiver :) I do get a tiny bit of smoke I suppose, but that's only when I transfer the beans to the external cooler, and once I put the lid on the cooler it stops, so perhaps a couple of seconds of a very small amount of smoke.

Saying that though, on my very first roast I got a fair bit of smoke when transferring the beans, just because I'd gone well into second crack. But it's avoidable, and if you use the Gene Cafe's built in cooling cycle (combined with the 80mm ducting) then I can't see how you'd get any smoke at all.

Mike if you want some impartial honest feedback about your roasts, im happy to do some cupping for you ; )

@garydyke1

I'm thinking Mike that if you were able to do several 160g roasts all of a very similar level and then post them out, then people could compare cupping notes? A group of non-professionals throwing around words like mouthfeel and mid-cup is only going to end in hilarity. You could call it In My Hag :)

I'd definitely be game for that.