Sign in to follow this  
RobbieG

Krups burr seems to be slightly f****d

Hi there - I've had my beloved grinder for a few years and for the past few months it's been acting up.

- Press the button and it sounds like it's an old engine trying to start

- Then it splutters and spits and grinds a bit

- Then it stops and you have to press the button again....lots

I've taken it apart and cleaned it carefully, not sure what else to do - do you think it's worth trying to get it fixed - does anyone know what's wrong - is it time to buy a new one?

Thanks so much and sorry if this has already been covered, loads!

R

• Haha 1

They seem to do one with a blade and a "professional" one with a burr and 17 settings! Unfortunately even a their "professional" model grinder is uneconomical to get repaired and a landfill item. I would be surprised if they last longer than 3 or 4 years anyway whilst producing fairly mediocre performance during that period.

It would help to know what coffee preparation method you use then people can make a sensible recommendation on a replacement grinder. Possibly a used one that for a 2 - 3 times the money may well last you decades and give a far superior grind during those decades.

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

Thanks so much for the reply! it's a burr grinder and I've had it for 3 or 4 years, or maybe more! I was worried that this was the case (landfill) which is a shame as I thought it was a decent bit of kit - definitely up for investing in something that will last decades as I'm a strong believer of quality and not down with disposable culture

My general coffee prep is for a mocha pot....6 cup most days 16 with guests. SO I go more towards the finer grind. 

This being said I bust out the chemex and digi-scales every now and then when I'm feeling fancy....but mostly it's the mocha pot - oh and french press every god knows when - mostly because I can never get a consistent cup from one......

RIP Grinder.

I was going to post a vid of somebody sharpening the teeth on one (Good idea) , but yours sounds terminal.

yeah it does seem like RIP....

....any recommendations would be gratefully received

2 hours ago, RobbieG said:

This being said I bust out the chemex and digi-scales every now and then when I'm feeling fancy....but mostly it's the mocha pot - oh and french press every god knows when - mostly because I can never get a consistent cup from one......

You could probably quite happily get great results on a 1Zpresso JX hand grinder, you don't even need the pro which is the same grinder with more adjustment detents. Grinding 18g for espresso only takes 30 seconds and is easy. Grind coarse for drip, mocha etc.. will be even easier and much faster.

The 1 Zpresso Q will also work fine (not for espresso)  but the JX for you would be the sweet spot, JX Pro would do if you ever decided to get a Gaggia or something as it's fine for espresso as well. They also won't landfill.

https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/2019/11/21/1zpresso-jx-and-jx-pro-hand-grinders/

https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/2019/12/03/1zpresso-q2-hand-grinder/

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

Thanks so much, really appreciate the time but I have to be honest - I have a hand grinder...and I don't and again in all honesty won't be using it on the regs at home - maybe on camping trips with my aeropress but not twice a day in my kitchen...sorry!

Just to let you know @DavecUK - I just bought a second hand super jolly for £200 all in. 

Thanks again for your time and advice!

Happy grinding x

• Like 2