jonny11

Is this normal with steaming?

Posted (edited)

My sage DB broke during lockdown, and I have just received a new one as the old was under warranty.

After having finished all new-start set up, I tried steaming, but it didn't seem the same as before?

It has a good steaming power but there is intermittent 'hard push/jet' as you can see on the video.

Is this normal? or possibly another fault? or will it take time as it's a new machine?

Any input will be grately appreciated.

Edited by jonny11

Is it leaking inside?

I'd say descale it....but it's new?

I'm guessing it isn't normal.

ACS Minima (Beta) with Bianca Paddle -- Reskinned Ceado E8, Niche Zero --- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

12 minutes ago, Rob1 said:

Is it leaking inside?

I'd say descale it....but it's new?

I'm guessing it isn't normal.

That was my intial thought - it looks like it's not been descaled for a while, but it's a new machine. Not sure if Lakeland will replace it again 2nd time... :(

2 minutes ago, jonny11 said:

Not sure if Lakeland will replace it again 2nd time...

You're under warranty, right? They don't get to make that decision.

Vesuvius + Niche Zero // V60 + MBK Aerspeed

9 minutes ago, catpuccino said:

You're under warranty, right? They don't get to make that decision.

yes, still under warranty, because this machine has arrived today as a 'replacement' of the first machine.

After having had failed machines twice, I don't know if keeping a faith in a Lakeland brand is necessary.

Wouldn't bother messing with it just send them on the video and explain what's going on.

Posted (edited)

It's definitely not normal anyway. You can see the steam coming out of the three holes at different times. It should be a constant stream out of all three.

If I were you I would try emptying the steam boiler and let the machine refill itself. Also make sure to let the machine heat up enough before using it, though you probably already have. You could also try taking the tip off to see if that has any effect.

Edited by MarkHB

30 minutes ago, MarkHB said:

It's definitely not normal anyway. You can see the steam coming out of the three holes at different times. It should be a constant stream out of all three.

If I were you I would try emptying the steam boiler and let the machine refill itself. Also make sure to let the machine heat up enough before using it, though you probably already have. You could also try taking the tip off to see if that has any effect.

Thank you Mark. 
tried both but still the same. 
I actually think now that it leaks and drops water into the wand, and it makes occasional push from the tip when water drops into the tip. 
Lakeland has agreed to replace it so they will pick it up on next Monday. Will see how the new one works. 

Just for an update.

Sage replaced another one for me, but it has exactly the same problem. Intermitten water jet from the want is still the same, so I guess it wasn't a particular issue with the first machine, but a general design fault?

A person from Sage even came to the house (white glove service), but he said the same thing that it was normal - clearly to me, it isn't normal for steaming.

I have to say though a level of service that I've received from Lakeland has been incredible. Can't fault their service, but machine.

Hello,

What you are seeing is condensate being ejected with the steam. This phenomenon is common in steam systems and is called water hammer in its worse condition.

From looking at the design of the SDB, it seems that the steam release valve is remote from the source of the the steam (the boiler). As the supply line is uninsulated, (its a simple tube) you will always get come condensate falling out of the steam as heat is lost. This condensate is not able to flow back to the boiler so is pushed out through the wand.

I think its normal and nothing really to worry about (steam is made from water).

Possibly this may be worse when the machine is cold and the steam lines are cold.

(Air leaks can also cause the internal pressures to drop, causing condensate to fall but its not clear where these air leaks would come from)

At least, from looking at internal pictures of the machine, these are my thoughts anyway.

Edited by Blue_Cafe
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Blue_Cafe said:

Hello,

What you are seeing is condensate being ejected with the steam. This phenomenon is common in steam systems and is called water hammer in its worse condition.

From looking at the design of the SDB, it seems that the steam release valve is remote from the source of the the steam (the boiler). As the supply line is uninsulated, (its a simple tube) you will always get come condensate falling out of the steam as heat is lost. This condensate is not able to flow back to the boiler so is pushed out through the wand.

I think its normal and nothing really to worry about (steam is made from water).

Possibly this may be worse when the machine is cold and the steam lines are cold.

(Air leaks can also cause the internal pressures to drop, causing condensate to fall but its not clear where these air leaks would come from)

At least, from looking at internal pictures of the machine, these are my thoughts anyway.

You could be right. I just watched the video again and it doesn't look like the steam is being picked up properly by the camera so what you can see are intermittent jets of water as you describe. 

I thought it was just intermittent bursts of steam + water droplets.

ACS Minima (Beta) with Bianca Paddle -- Reskinned Ceado E8, Niche Zero --- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

Looks normal to me thinking back to my sdb

In fact it looks super nice, dry steam with the occasional wet bit when it condensates.

My e61 machines used to be much wetter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sage Bambino - BWT Bestmax - Niche in Black. Aeropress and Aergrind

Live and Let Live

You are right - the steam is constantly out (not caught by camera), but there is occasional water being steamed out together.

I don't use this machine to sell coffee to others or something but only for myself and family/friends, so this won't affect my coffee that much anyway.

Worst comes to worst - I return it back to Lakeland and get a refund. They've told me they will still refund within a 3-year warranty period if I'm not 100% happy. Really impressed by their after sale service.

Enjoy Jonny

To clarify my previous post - IMO, looking at the video - your steam is working perfectly

Sage Bambino - BWT Bestmax - Niche in Black. Aeropress and Aergrind

Live and Let Live

11 hours ago, jonny11 said:

You are right - the steam is constantly out (not caught by camera), but there is occasional water being steamed out together.

I don't use this machine to sell coffee to others or something but only for myself and family/friends, so this won't affect my coffee that much anyway.

Worst comes to worst - I return it back to Lakeland and get a refund. They've told me they will still refund within a 3-year warranty period if I'm not 100% happy. Really impressed by their after sale service.

How much did it cost you?

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

Looking at the video alone, that seems normal to me. I had burst of "wet steam" from a Profitec Pro-700 in the past. Never thought much of it. A test I did back them was to remove water from the boiler (machine off, open the water tap, and them open the steam valve - I'm not saying you can do this with the Sage DB - not even to test it, as the hot water tap is solenoid operated) and them steam. The steam was drier. The conclusion I had back them was that it might've been the level probe was siting slightly higher, so as the heating element heats the water it was spluttering and carrying the wet bursts. It was never an issue.

Enjoy the machine. 

9 hours ago, kennyboy993 said:

Enjoy Jonny

To clarify my previous post - IMO, looking at the video - your steam is working perfectly

Thank you. It happened during lockdown, so lack of caffeine was driving me crazy. Thank you for your input and advice.

6 hours ago, DavecUK said:

How much did it cost you?

paid 1000 slighty over 2 years ago, it was price matched at that time. After having gone through all of this with their customer service, it's not expensive I would say.

5 hours ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

Looking at the video alone, that seems normal to me. I had burst of "wet steam" from a Profitec Pro-700 in the past. Never thought much of it. A test I did back them was to remove water from the boiler (machine off, open the water tap, and them open the steam valve - I'm not saying you can do this with the Sage DB - not even to test it, as the hot water tap is solenoid operated) and them steam. The steam was drier. The conclusion I had back them was that it might've been the level probe was siting slightly higher, so as the heating element heats the water it was spluttering and carrying the wet bursts. It was never an issue.

Enjoy the machine. 

I wouldn't dare to try that myself anyway :D but thank you for your info. A profitec pro700 would be my dream machine.