coffeegeek1000

Eureka Atom Specialty 75 vs Compak E8

After a lot of research I've found the Eureka Atom Specialty 75 would be a great fit for my needs in a small cafe setting, but now a local supplier has the Compak E8 on sale for roughly the same price. I can't find  any comparisons or many reviews on the Compak E8. Any preference on either grinder?

75 mm v 83 mm.....in a cafe setting retention is not an issue, unless you sell 4 cups an hour. Both good grinders but my advice for a flat burr grinder would always be goat big as you canid burr size.....but, you need to know its history and shot count

• Like 1

It depends which Compak E8, the one I tested was a nightmare to open and clean with it's electronic  number display and horribly implemented grind adjustment system. It was also quite poorly aligned and had trouble grinding espresso without having to screw the burrs together so much that they would be touching without coffee! This could have appened in transit for sure as it's a very heavy grinder and might have been dropped.

Overall that slightly larger burr size won't make any difference (none that you will taste) as the Eureka uses good burrs. It's easy to adjust and easy to open and clean/maintain. Personally I'd go for the speciality 75.

https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/2019/11/13/eureka-speciality-atom-75e-grinder/

I wasn't actually asked to review it just to use it for some reviews of machines. In the end I did review it, for nothing, because it was actually pretty good and I was sad to see it go back.

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

Disclaimer: I have never worked in a cafe but from what I can tell, good cafes tend to clean their grinders on a regular basis.

I owned the Compak E8 and ended up selling it because cleaning the damn thing was an absolute nightmare. Coffee grounds seemed to get everywhere and after you managed to get it back together you had to dial it in all over again. I now have a battered old Mythos Plus (basically a mythos one) and I can remove the top burr, clean it and have it back running in about 5 minutes if its a quick clean. No need to recalibrate. The E8 took me about 45 minutes, wasn't as clean and I had to waste a load of coffee dialing it in again. 

No idea about the specialita but the E8 was just baffling in its awful design. Good at grinding coffee but very frustrating to clean.