Bagpu55

Anyone run 2 shower screens together

Bear with me if you will. I am always tinkering with something on my machine. I bought the IMS screen and a new dispersion plate some time ago but was quite disappointed by the water flow through the group and issues I was having with channeling. As a result I took them off (left them in the cupboard) and switched back to the old stock ones that gave me much better results. I was a bit naffed off with the purchases but a few weeks ago I decided to try again but placed the IMS and the original screens together (IMS upper most). The resulting flow is much nicer, again the stock dispersion plate is better (but mines really grubby >10years old) but I can now get away with my other one that has a better thermal mass. Seems another marginal gain but I have made a few now that have made a difference.

I generally dose 17g in my 18g VST so headspace is not an issue. Has any one else tried it? I do clean them almost everyday to avoid extra bits trapping.

Gaggia Classic 2006 @ 9 bar. Feld 47 Travel, Motta competition 58.4 tamper

Like you, I purchased a new dispersion plate (stainless steel) and IMS screen but I'm struggling with them. On doing some research the general opinion seems to be that the holes are too close to the edge on the dispersion plate. Consequently, I get two channels right on the edge of the puck in the same place every time with both the IMS screen and the stock Gaggia screen.

I'm still using the SS dispersion plate (the original aluminium one is in poor condition) and the stock Gaggia screen and the results are a little better, but not great. I'm close to switching back to the aluminium plate to see whether the IMS screen is any better.

I may try your trick first though.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, NitJay said:

I've found that ims screen and aluminium plate works well. Or stainless and regular gaggia screen is OK. 

Bluestar sell a specific ims stainless screen: https://www.bluestarcoffee.eu/gaggia-ims--shower-holder-steel-11986-p.asp

Not sure if anyone has tried it? 

Yes if I had to do it again I would of bought a new original as my original is a bit rank but this seems to work well for the moment.

• Like 1

Gaggia Classic 2006 @ 9 bar. Feld 47 Travel, Motta competition 58.4 tamper