lhavelund

Quick Mill Verona Dual Boiler

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone,

It's been a good year and a bit with my Verona, but in anticipation of the arrival of The Next Best Thing™, it's time to find it a new home. The machine originally came to me from PaulL off the forum, where it was only used with RO water and maintained nicely. Since having it (almost a year and a half), I've used Tesco Ashbeck water, maintained it regularly (showerscreen/dispersion plate cleaned every couple of days, backflushed with water daily, and back flushed with Puly Caff monthly + cam lubricated), and descaled once lightly a couple of months ago. It works absolutely perfectly and I couldn't have been happier with the Verona for a first machine.

Here's a closer look at the Verona from BB who distributed it in the UK - which DaveC wrote. 

The machine is in very good condition - there are a couple of small imperfections in the finish, and the drip tray does have marks from use. I've tried to capture any imperfections on camera - but feel free to shout if there are any angles you feel I've missed or anything you want a closer look at.

Also included:

• 3 portafilters (2 original - one double, one single), plus a bottomless.
  • 1 single, 1 double basket, and one blind disc.
  • Custom wood handles for the portafilters. These were lovingly turned by my father-in-law in Canada. He tells me it's hemlock - they certainly are very nice.
  • Matching wooden detail knob for the lever.
  • All original PF handles + knob.
  • 1 extra E61 group gasket. The current one was fitted not long ago, but good to have a spare.
  • Plumbing-in-bits. They're still in the bag and haven't been used.
  • Burn and no-burn steam wands (no-burn fitted).

High-resolution photos here: https://imgur.com/a/tyOFlSj

The machine should be available mid-end next week, and I'm asking £1,200 for the machine, collection only from Chessington. If you're travelling a fair distance, I'm happy to travel a bit to meet as well. I have the original box.

A few (smaller) photos below, but I recommend clicking through to the link above for better resolution photos.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Any questions, please ask.

Edited by lhavelund
Added accessories.

Quick Mill Verona      |      Niche Zero      |      AeroPress      |      Porlex Mini

2 hours ago, lhavelund said:

Hi everyone,

It's been a good year and a bit with my Verona, but in anticipation of the arrival of The Next Best Thing™, it's time to find it a new home. The machine originally came to me from PaulL off the forum, where it was only used with RO water and maintained nicely. Since having it (almost a year and a half), I've used Tesco Ashbeck water, maintained it regularly (showerscreen/dispersion plate cleaned every couple of days, backflushed with water daily, and back flushed with Puly Caff monthly + cam lubricated), and descaled once lightly a couple of months ago. It works absolutely perfectly and I couldn't have been happier with the Verona for a first machine.

Here's a closer look at the Verona from BB who distributed it in the UK - which DaveC wrote. 

The machine is in very good condition - there are a couple of small imperfections in the finish, and the drip tray does have marks from use. I've tried to capture any imperfections on camera - but feel free to shout if there are any angles you feel I've missed or anything you want a closer look at.

Also included:

• 3 portafilters (2 original - one double, one single), plus a bottomless.
  • 1 single, 1 double basket, and one blind disc.
  • Custom wood handles for the portafilters. These were lovingly turned by my father-in-law in Canada. He tells me it's hemlock - they certainly are very nice.
  • Matching wooden detail knob for the lever.
  • All original PF handles + knob.
  • 1 extra E61 group gasket. The current one was fitted not long ago, but good to have a spare.
  • Plumbing-in-bits. They're still in the bag and haven't been used.
  • Burn and no-burn steam wands (no-burn fitted).

High-resolution photos here: https://imgur.com/a/tyOFlSj

The machine should be available mid-end next week, and I'm asking £1,200 for the machine, collection only from Chessington. If you're travelling a fair distance, I'm happy to travel a bit to meet as well. I have the original box.

A few (smaller) photos below, but I recommend clicking through to the link above for better resolution photos.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Any questions, please ask.

The machine I initially chose after a lot of soul searching and reading,  especially  Dave UK's write up,  sadly they stopped manufacturing it as I believe Dave UK's  mods  just took it to a different level.

Very rarely  seen available which tells you something of the customer satisfaction.

Jon.

One Life this is it, it's not a rehearsal so enjoy it best you can - Have some fun, buy a coffee machine.;)

ECM Synchronika - ECM V-Titan 64 Grinder - EXPOBAR MEGGACREM 2 Group - MAZZER Super Jolly grinder with doser -  AMIR Scales and they work fine - 15-18-20-22-25g VST Filter Baskets - Several MOTTA Jugs and a Home Made Knock Box. - Useful contributions from the Family.

In fact that machine was built specially for me, I purchased it factory direct (the owner of the company let me do that as a favour) but never got around to using it, just checked it over then reboxed it. I sold it to Paul (friend of mine) for what I paid for it and he used it until he purchased the Vesuvius. They are a beautiful machine. Many times I regretted selling it...but as I have 9 machines now, glad I did, as I've run out of room.

I believe the reason BB stopped stocking it is it just became too expensive. QM do make at the higher end of the quality spectrum and they make their own cases as well unlike most manufacturers...Lot of experience in case manufacture, hence the finish quality,.

• Like 2

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

45 minutes ago, xpresso said:

The machine I initially chose after a lot of soul searching and reading,  especially  Dave UK's write up,  sadly they stopped manufacturing it as I believe Dave UK's  mods  just took it to a different level.

Very rarely  seen available which tells you something of the customer satisfaction.

Jon.

I went through a similar journey - I had my heart set on a Sage Dual Boiler for the relative cost vs benefit, but I'm glad Dave got me on the right track for something a little more... refined. It has been absolutely spectacular since I got it.

32 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

In fact that machine was built specially for me, I purchased it factory direct (the owner of the company let me do that as a favour) but never got around to using it, just checked it over then reboxed it. I sold it to Paul (friend of mine) for what I paid for it and he used it until he purchased the Vesuvius. They are a beautiful machine. Many times I regretted selling it...but as I have 9 machines now, glad I did, as I've run out of room.

I believe the reason BB stopped stocking it is it just became too expensive. QM do make at the higher end of the quality spectrum and they make their own cases as well unlike most manufacturers...Lot of experience in case manufacture, hence the finish quality,.

It was indeed! I didn't want to suggest the machine was "special" in any way, so I omitted that tidbit. I've adored it and can see why you praised it as you did. For what it's worth, I've gone exactly the same route as Paul did and look forward to welcoming my very own Vesuvius to the kitchen soon.

I particularly hope someone new to the world of espresso (as I was) decides this is the one for them and that it'll give them the same excellent introduction to good coffee that it gave me.

• Like 1

Quick Mill Verona      |      Niche Zero      |      AeroPress      |      Porlex Mini

This is a great deal! If I had the space....

Glwts!

• Like 1

I've read all of @DavecUK's BB review, some of it twice. I have drooled over the photos. Watched a few videos on youtube. And I am so, so tempted.

Until a short time ago I was dead set on a nice, simple, well looked-after La Pav as my first espresso machine... I am going through upgraditis without any of the stages of actually buying and using the machines in-between. 

9 minutes ago, higbert said:

I've read all of @DavecUK's BB review, some of it twice. I have drooled over the photos. Watched a few videos on youtube. And I am so, so tempted.

Until a short time ago I was dead set on a nice, simple, well looked-after La Pav as my first espresso machine... I am going through upgraditis without any of the stages of actually buying and using the machines in-between. 

It really is a terrific machine. Solidly built, I've found it quite forgiving and it has given me a good insight to what I want next. I'd probably keep it if I hadn't found myself with a bit of money to spend.

If you decide to bite the bullet then happy to take some time to walk you through its use and pull some shots if you're new to espresso. 

• Like 1

I'm really caught now. 🤣 I'm not new to coffee or espresso but I'm new to owning a dedicated espresso machine. I'm looking maybe 4-5 drinks daily on a weekend, 2-3 over a weekday. I'm prepared to spend time enjoying and understanding and using the machine. 

I had settled on a used La Pav with @coffeechap kindly on the hunt for something. Then I see the Verona here and drool a lot and start convincing myself it could be a good investment, wonderful coffee, looks marvellous, dual boiler, will hold its value... (and coffeechap not helping at all telling me to make an offer!🤣)

Then I think but if I am going to invest this much money, what about a new MaraX, bit cheaper, amazing reviews, two year warranty, smaller footprint, best Hx machine, well put-together...

@DavecUK, given the above (esp the new v. used issue) and as you've reviewed both in detail and were intimately involved in the Verona, do you think you'd recommend the Marax that Lelit "knocked out of the park" or the Verona that was clearly very special to you? 

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, higbert said:

I'm really caught now. 🤣 I'm not new to coffee or espresso but I'm new to owning a dedicated espresso machine. I'm looking maybe 4-5 drinks daily on a weekend, 2-3 over a weekday. I'm prepared to spend time enjoying and understanding and using the machine. 

I had settled on a used La Pav with @coffeechap kindly on the hunt for something. Then I see the Verona here and drool a lot and start convincing myself it could be a good investment, wonderful coffee, looks marvellous, dual boiler, will hold its value... (and coffeechap not helping at all telling me to make an offer!🤣)

Then I think but if I am going to invest this much money, what about a new MaraX, bit cheaper, amazing reviews, two year warranty, smaller footprint, best Hx machine, well put-together...

@DavecUK, given the above (esp the new v. used issue) and as you've reviewed both in detail and were intimately involved in the Verona, do you think you'd recommend the Marax that Lelit "knocked out of the park" or the Verona that was clearly very special to you? 

You have to remember it's 2 very different machines. One is an HX the Verona is a dual boiler.  You can get a lot of machine for a hell of a lot less than normal when you buy used at the right price. The MaraX is a great machine, it works really well, as is the Verona (read my review on it), I loved using it. However, I am a machine tart, I love using anything new. I have 9 machines, I like to get different ones one out occasionally and use them. I like them all...but of course that's not normal. It's like I've been using a Lelit Elizabeth for months now and really having fun with it....but I'm getting a prototype machine in a few weeks and really looking forward to that and an Electra soon as well which will be fun.

You need to buy what's right for you.

There are 3 main questions you have to ask yourself and I'm not being nasty or funny here:

1. Are you the sort of person that can look after stuff and is prepared to do so, perhaps fixing a minor issue here and there. Or are you the sort of person who likes to buy something, have a 2 year warranty period where you feel protected. Use it, never look inside and worry about it going wrong manyana and sort of send it away to get fixed but try not to think about it too much.

2. Do you like the idea of being a machines only owner, that new machine smell, do you have visions of a perfect finish and you keeping it perfect (good luck with that), rather than a used machine with the odd sign of use.

3. Which one tugs at the heart!

Answer those questions honestly and you will make the right choice.

Quickmill verona review link below, it was a while ago. Also to make the point the machine in question was effectively new when Paul purchased from me, I had had it stored for a while after checking it was working perfectly. Also it's not the review machine it was another purchased by me factory direct later, cos I liked it so much and the owner gave me a good deal (as he should).

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiXgY_SpKzqAhVrUhUIHZ7uCPsQFjAAegQIAxAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bellabarista.co.uk%2Fpdf%2FQuickmillVeronaCloserLook2013v1.pdf&usg=AOvVaw16J7ddCjvkYVsONlYi3ArM

Edited by DavecUK
  • Thanks 1

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

Please someone buy this before I need to make more excuses to my wife!

• Haha 2

Lovely looking piece of kit wish i had room and use for two GLWS

• Like 1

ECM Mechanika V Slim.   Osmio Zero.
Eureka Mignon.
Sage dtp  Retired La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi 2 R.I.P

Tempted sorely by this also, not least because I only live about 3 miles down the road.

The size/footprint is my major limiter.  What's the practical amount of space needed by this machine?  I have a Silvia and Super Jolly combo which together measure 60cm width, 40cm height (under cupboards) and about 50cm depth for "total coffee making space" in the corner by the (inward-opening) back door, and I couldn't make much more without a major upheaval in our tiny galley kitchen.  How far out does the portafilter handle sit from the base, and with it in place is the entire depth of the machine well under 60cm?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavecUK said:

There are 3 main questions you have to ask yourself and I'm not being nasty or funny here:

1. Are you the sort of person that can look after stuff and is prepared to do so, perhaps fixing a minor issue here and there. Or are you the sort of person who likes to buy something, have a 2 year warranty period where you feel protected. Use it, never look inside and worry about it going wrong manyana and sort of send it away to get fixed but try not to think about it too much.

More than happy tinkering. Coffee machines are (relatively) simple beasts and undoing a few things and fixing what's broken isn't an issue. The two year warranty is nice just because if something big does go wrong, it's less risk.

2. Do you like the idea of being a machines only owner, that new machine smell, do you have visions of a perfect finish and you keeping it perfect (good luck with that), rather than a used machine with the odd sign of use.

In this case, not so much. The Verona looks beautiful. I'm slightly preferring the marax in terms of footprint. The slim build is attractive but then the Verona is hardly that wide.

3. Which one tugs at the heart!

BOTH OF THEM 😂🤣

This is all really useful to think on. Thank you for your help. I'd read your reviews on the Verona and the marax and they're clearly both great machines.

8 minutes ago, higbert said:

BOTH OF THEM 😂🤣

This is all really useful to think on. Thank you for your help. I'd read your reviews on the Verona and the marax and they're clearly both great machines.

That's the problem, people often write to me asking what machine and there are so many good machines. It would be easy if you chose one awful machine and one great one. Advice would come easy. trouble is I don't bother writing reviews on the bad stuff, lifes too short and I'm not looking for views, clicks or subscribers...cos I don't care.

• Thanks 1

The Verona is a double boiler so can crank out shot after shot at any interval. The Mara X can only do one or two shots in quick succession before it overheats and then needs cooling flushes or a rest for half an hour or so to cool down. 

Posted (edited)

Alert: man with  a machine that wooden work....possibly beyond his skill level.

dde8f59a82415de24913f0cf30f3ece5.jpg

Edited by DavecUK
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mschole said:

Tempted sorely by this also, not least because I only live about 3 miles down the road.

The size/footprint is my major limiter.  What's the practical amount of space needed by this machine?  I have a Silvia and Super Jolly combo which together measure 60cm width, 40cm height (under cupboards) and about 50cm depth for "total coffee making space" in the corner by the (inward-opening) back door, and I couldn't make much more without a major upheaval in our tiny galley kitchen.  How far out does the portafilter handle sit from the base, and with it in place is the entire depth of the machine well under 60cm?

Now that is a considerable advantage re: your location!

Machine dimensions:

Foot print: 43cm deep (58cm with the PF locked in the group) by 33cm wide.
Height: 41cm to the drip tray, for a total of 48cm with the tank lid open.

You'll struggle to squeeze it in in your space, I think - that said, you're welcome to come take a look if you think that would help.

Edited by lhavelund

53 minutes ago, higbert said:

BOTH OF THEM 😂🤣

Solution buy 2 keep you happy for years 😁😇

ECM Mechanika V Slim.   Osmio Zero.
Eureka Mignon.
Sage dtp  Retired La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi 2 R.I.P

1 hour ago, Border_all said:

Solution buy 2 keep you happy for years 😁😇

Also keep me living in the leaky shed with spiders for company. Major problem with that? Rain water isn't great for the coffee machines. 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, higbert said:

Also keep me living in the leaky shed with spiders for company. Major problem with that? Rain water isn't great for the coffee machines. 

Bit of tarp, and at least you'll have good coffee ;)

• Like 1

I now have despatch notification on its replacement, so the Verona should be available from Wednesday, all being well.

hi Ihavelund, I'm happy to offer you asking price - £1200 - for this lovely machine.  There's been not a small amount of internal dialogue usually ending with "eff it you only live once" before making this offer, but I can't stop thinking about it. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, ArkellvsPressdram said:

hi Ihavelund, I'm happy to offer you asking price - £1200 - for this lovely machine.  There's been not a small amount of internal dialogue usually ending with "eff it you only live once" before making this offer, but I can't stop thinking about it. 

You won't be disappointed! Let's hop to pm to work out the logistics. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, ArkellvsPressdram said:

That escalated quickly lol

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ArkellvsPressdram said:

I have had a Verona for a number of years, I am sure you will be VERY pleased/ happy with it.

I am sure  ihavelund will give you plenty of advice and there is plenty on the forum, but feel free to ask me anything specific.

• Like 1

• About
    Coffee Forums UK is the UK's premier coffee forum Started in June 2008 by Glenn Watson, we now have more than 24000 mainly UK based members, and welcome more than 3000 members and visitors from around the world each day! With strategic investment and digital expertise from the Jackson Lockhart team (Tait Pollack and Adam Bateman), we are taking Coffee Forums UK to the next level, and are delighted to share the journey with you.

New Members:
    We are often referred to as the friendliest forum on the web and we look forward to welcoming you onboard. Please read our Terms of Use. We stick by them, existing members please familiarise yourselves with them.

Advertising

Coffee Forums Media Kit

Click Here To Buy Advertising Space 
    £100 p/m when paid yearly, up-to: 690000 banner impressions per month!

coffee-subscription-mini.png

Become a friend of CFUK
    Buy Us A Monthly Coffee (massive thank you!) 

Donate / Sponsor

Click Here To Donate (big thank you!)

Get Your Supporter Badge Today (per year)

image.png

Coffee Forums Logo