Peter2016

De longhi esam 4200 filling driptray

We have had this machine for about 8 years now, and it makes some good coffee!. But I have had one problem when the ground coffee was being spilled into the machine. This was fixed by cleaning the diffuser and greasing the o rings.

Now we have a problem where water/weak coffeee is filling the driptray. I have again cleaned out the diffuser, cleaned the O ring on the compressor pad under the boiler. I dont this parts right name. But its the bit the diffuser pushes up onto to compress the puck and then have the water squirted through the filter through the puck.

So can anyone point me in the right direction please? I am OK with taking the machine apart, just want to know if anyone has seen this before and save me stripping it down to its last nut and bolt.

Thanks

Peter

Well that worked well. I had no replies, so making a guess it is the 'generator' and piston assembly at fault. I think this, as the top of the infuser is very wet even just after switch on, and water is in drip tray. Putting my fingers up around the top of the piston this also feels very wet, so wish me luck! There is a very good video at

youtube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRejpgwd-l8

which explains how to get top the generator, so maybe we will get our machine back to full working condition, or a bit more landfill.

Anyone who reads this, I will follow up when I have the beast apart with what I can see of the problem. I could take a few pics to add to the merriment.

If anyone else has trod this road, please let me know of pitfalls or gotchas.

Peter

OK. I carefully took the side and back panels off. Took off the front control panel, then the top. Exposed the dreaded interior. The heater, boiler, generator, or piston assembley, call it what you will, is nto quite the same as all the vids on youtube. Similar in the pipes and connectors, but dissimilar in its build. Anyway, being of stout heart, I stripped the piston assembley ooff the heater, as the unit was really quite wet. Took the piston assembley apart and the filter on the base, the black disk held on by two countersunk screws, was quite bunged up. All the small holes were almost closed, and the inside, where there are 'tracks' for each set of holes, were similarly grotty. Grotty is a technical term for anything bunged up with whatever. 

So I cleaned this out, the piston housing was also quite mucky, so cleaned and greased all the bits that needed cleaning and greasing.

Then reversed the above, found out there is ONE way to put the piston together, although there are several possibilities that are wrong. I tried the wrong ones until I reasoed out that the large keyway in the filteer was obviously meant to locate the disk in its correct position.  All assembled OK.

Then I put on the covers and stood back, looked round the tabe to realise I had one screw and two washers left over. Hmm

Ok try it out anyway. Plugged it in, switched on, and it cycled through setup. No water in drip tray. (Yes pump of arm!)

Selected one cup and let it run. One cup made and no coffee in drip tray.

So I reckong all that bunged up grotty disk or filter on the piston were forcing water anywhere except into the diffuser.

If anyone has the same issues, send me a message and I will try to help. I have a spare screw and washers as well

Peter

• Like 2

Well, have some kudos for posing a problem, and in the absence of advice, go at it yourself AND take the time to post the solution on here for other owners to enjoy. Glad you managed to get it working again.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

ACS Vesuvius      |      Niche Zero      |      AeroPress      |      Porlex Mini