Sign in to follow this  
Mitz

New member intro!

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and just wanted to say hello.

Over the past few weeks I have been reading some really interesting articles here and just getting my head around it all.

Around 3 years ago I bought a Delongi Eletta 44.660.b after much research. I actually really like it, however I'm intrigued as this forum tends to recommend a Gagia Classic and that the espresso would be much improved!

I do also have an Aeropress which Iove and recently got a gree V60 with a Pact order. I'm thinking of upgrading the Hario Skerton grinder I have in order to aid the journey to better espresso.

Also have a Flair on the way and need to understand the best grinder to pair with it at some point.

Anyways, that's my intro! 

Welcome @Mitz! Quite a collection already! Careful, you'll only end up with more kit spending time around here.

Sounds like a good grinder (probably a few levels up from the skerton) would be a big boost to all your current brewing methods, especially for your flair. I'd start there before investing in the Gaggia. Which by all accounts is a great machine.

Happy hunting!

11 minutes ago, hhgclark said:

Welcome @Mitz! Quite a collection already! Careful, you'll only end up with more kit spending time around here.

Sounds like a good grinder (probably a few levels up from the skerton) would be a big boost to all your current brewing methods, especially for your flair. I'd start there before investing in the Gaggia. Which by all accounts is a great machine.

Happy hunting!

@hhgclark thank you, and yes I can see I may end up with a declining bank balance if I keep spending time here!

Yes, I watched a James Hoffman video about Manila grinders although I think the Kinu he recommended is pretty steep! And the Aergrind he suggested wasnt the best for espresso.

Oh well, think I need to keep reading a bit more!

• Like 1

Welcome @Mitz. Bit of advice, sew your pockets up and throw the credit card on to of your highest wardrobe, or even in the loft.. This place can prove expensive.

The Gaggia Classic is one of the most praised machines as a first proper coffee machine as it can be backflushed like the more expensive ones. It has a pressure release valve which vents excess pressure (and water) from the coffee puck out of the grouphead and into the drip tray. Although I believe the new ones work differently. The older Pre-Philips made machines (Italian ones, not the Romanian ones) have a larger solenoid and a higher wattage IIRC.

Much pleasure can however be sought from a simple pour-over like a V60 or a Chemex and many choose not to go the espresso route. A pouring kettle, set of scales and a grinder is pretty much all you need for this method. Pouring kettles give you more control over the flow of water. I have a cheap Chinese one I fill from my kettle then heat up on the hob to bubbling. You can get electric ones you can programme to a desired temp etc. Probably the most expensive bit of kit will be the grinder. Although a hand grinder will be ok for brewing methods, but a bit of work if it's for espresso.

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3  + Niche

Output: Slayer One Group + La Pavoni + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..